Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't know about you guys, but I have been extremely busy(why I haven't been commenting)...so busy that I failed to realize deer archery season starts in TWO weeks, which seems crazy. Normally I would never hunt this early due to heat etc., but a

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
    Freeze water in 1-gallon plastic jugs. Thread twine down the throat, tie to one jug, pull up into the neck as far as possible and tie the twine around the muzzle to hold the ice in place. 2 more jugs in the abdomen with a 4th between the rear legs which are then tied together to hold that ice in place. Slit the abdomen hide, thread twine through these slits and tied off to enclose all the ice. The deer's hair and hide are great insulators; I use a cooler to keep the ice frozen before the kill.
    @charlie,
    Yeah, I asked an older family member and the first thing he said was to leave the hide on. The twine is a good idea...we were planning on using 2 liter bottles and regular bags of ice, but never thought to tie them together. His father owns a nice quality boat cover he doesn't mind us using which is 100% waterproof that should be perfect to completely wrap a deer in to prevent water getting all over the car.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      I generally have a large cooler or two with me, JIC. But I don't think I've ever used them. My early season spots are within a half hour of home. I one time grabbed a bag of ice and threw it in the body cavity on a really hot early season day.
      A solid cooler big enough for a deer really wont fit in the car we are taking. I'm in the same boat as you though...I rarely ever kill deer more than a short drive(if any at all) from the house.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
        Every time I click on Answers from the home page, it still lists jcarlin's question from 7/18 as the most recent; this one and the one about GPS aren't even there. I got here by clicking on it in the margin of an article. Anyone else having this problem?
        Yes, happening to me. For a second I was confused because I thought OL deleted my question and couldn't figure out why.

        Comment


        • #19
          Since I am confident that you will kill more deer later in the season, I think I'd pass on trying to bring the deer home whole. There are more things that can go wrong than can go right. You don't want to take a chance on screwing up the trunk of your car---if it has AC in the trunk, it must be a nice one---and although we hold deer meat in high regard, it is not sacred stuff, and I think the best thing to do is quarter the deer and use ice chests. When it comes to something like transporting a whole deer, never forget that Murphy is waiting in the corner, chuckling evilly.

          It's still too dang hot down here to be doing much prep unless you have a tractor with an air conditioned cab, which I do not. It's too early to plant---the drought and army worms will get your crop---and still too early to mow trails and roads since there is a month of growing time for it to come back. I think I'll stay inside and read about the secrets of killing monster bucks. I used to get out and do stuff in this heat back when I was young and dumb---I am no longer young.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            I have been busy too, but I also am less excited about hunting this year than I can ever remember before. As someone who lives to be in the woods, I really hate to admit that, but it's true. I'm just having a hard time getting into the preseason preparation this year, with the exception of preparing for my elk hunting trip. Maybe that's taking up all my attention...I don't know. I expect I will feel more enthusiasm when fall actually arrives, though.

            Regarding your question, I would definitely quarter the deer out and put it in a cooler with ice. Just trusting in the trunk AC wouldn't cut it for me. There's always the risk of mechanical failure - car breaks down, etc. And in those temps, meat can spoil very fast. There's really nothing that can go wrong with a cooler, other than the ice melting. I'm not sure how you would cool the animal down without ice, anyway. And if you're taking ice, you might as well take a cooler(s), too.
            Well charlie, if you can think of a way to get me more excited for hunting this year, bring it on!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
              Every time I click on Answers from the home page, it still lists jcarlin's question from 7/18 as the most recent; this one and the one about GPS aren't even there. I got here by clicking on it in the margin of an article. Anyone else having this problem?
              Nope, everything looks just fine to me.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                Freeze water in 1-gallon plastic jugs. Thread twine down the throat, tie to one jug, pull up into the neck as far as possible and tie the twine around the muzzle to hold the ice in place. 2 more jugs in the abdomen with a 4th between the rear legs which are then tied together to hold that ice in place. Slit the abdomen hide, thread twine through these slits and tied off to enclose all the ice. The deer's hair and hide are great insulators; I use a cooler to keep the ice frozen before the kill.
                @charlie, That makes sense, although I would still worry about the outer portions of the meat retaining heat too long with the hide on in those conditions. But maybe I'm overcautious.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  I generally have a large cooler or two with me, JIC. But I don't think I've ever used them. My early season spots are within a half hour of home. I one time grabbed a bag of ice and threw it in the body cavity on a really hot early season day.
                  What? A cooler big enough for a quartered-out deer won't fit, but a whole deer will? I'm having a hard time envisioning that.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                    I have been busy too, but I also am less excited about hunting this year than I can ever remember before. As someone who lives to be in the woods, I really hate to admit that, but it's true. I'm just having a hard time getting into the preseason preparation this year, with the exception of preparing for my elk hunting trip. Maybe that's taking up all my attention...I don't know. I expect I will feel more enthusiasm when fall actually arrives, though.

                    Regarding your question, I would definitely quarter the deer out and put it in a cooler with ice. Just trusting in the trunk AC wouldn't cut it for me. There's always the risk of mechanical failure - car breaks down, etc. And in those temps, meat can spoil very fast. There's really nothing that can go wrong with a cooler, other than the ice melting. I'm not sure how you would cool the animal down without ice, anyway. And if you're taking ice, you might as well take a cooler(s), too.
                    @hft,
                    I've never been excited for hunting season. I just didn't realize how close it was from now! I'm sure you'll get excited by the time opening day comes around...because who in the world wouldn't be excited on opening day?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      I generally have a large cooler or two with me, JIC. But I don't think I've ever used them. My early season spots are within a half hour of home. I one time grabbed a bag of ice and threw it in the body cavity on a really hot early season day.
                      @hft,
                      Haha, I meant one big enough to not have to quarter the deer, not sure why I interpreted his comment that way...as you can see my comment was at 2:45 am and I must've been tired, lol. Yes...a quartered deer is still what we are leaning towards. Truth be told I didn't even know if spending the time to quarter a deer out in the heat would be better then just throwing the whole deer on ice. Never really killed a deer in hot(80+) weather.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        I generally have a large cooler or two with me, JIC. But I don't think I've ever used them. My early season spots are within a half hour of home. I one time grabbed a bag of ice and threw it in the body cavity on a really hot early season day.
                        @JM, If I posted at 2:45 AM, it probably wouldn't even be in English, lol. In my opinion, I think quartering it out would be worth the extra time and effort, but I've never killed a deer in temps that warm either, so I have no personal experience.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                          Freeze water in 1-gallon plastic jugs. Thread twine down the throat, tie to one jug, pull up into the neck as far as possible and tie the twine around the muzzle to hold the ice in place. 2 more jugs in the abdomen with a 4th between the rear legs which are then tied together to hold that ice in place. Slit the abdomen hide, thread twine through these slits and tied off to enclose all the ice. The deer's hair and hide are great insulators; I use a cooler to keep the ice frozen before the kill.
                          HTF, if that were to happen, it won't matter because all the fat and silver skin is cut away and discarded.
                          @JM I wouldn't use bags of ice, those will likely leak as they melt. Water on meat can accelerate bacteria growth. I use the 1-gallon, tough plastic jugs fruit juices come in; they are water tight, some condensation will result so if your deer needs to be held this way longer than 4 hours wipe any water out of the body cavity.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                            Since I am confident that you will kill more deer later in the season, I think I'd pass on trying to bring the deer home whole. There are more things that can go wrong than can go right. You don't want to take a chance on screwing up the trunk of your car---if it has AC in the trunk, it must be a nice one---and although we hold deer meat in high regard, it is not sacred stuff, and I think the best thing to do is quarter the deer and use ice chests. When it comes to something like transporting a whole deer, never forget that Murphy is waiting in the corner, chuckling evilly.

                            It's still too dang hot down here to be doing much prep unless you have a tractor with an air conditioned cab, which I do not. It's too early to plant---the drought and army worms will get your crop---and still too early to mow trails and roads since there is a month of growing time for it to come back. I think I'll stay inside and read about the secrets of killing monster bucks. I used to get out and do stuff in this heat back when I was young and dumb---I am no longer young.
                            Piney, as an elderly fellow you should know better than to take Murphy hunting. I never invite Murphy to hunt with me because he is centuries old and an inept hunter.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                              Since I am confident that you will kill more deer later in the season, I think I'd pass on trying to bring the deer home whole. There are more things that can go wrong than can go right. You don't want to take a chance on screwing up the trunk of your car---if it has AC in the trunk, it must be a nice one---and although we hold deer meat in high regard, it is not sacred stuff, and I think the best thing to do is quarter the deer and use ice chests. When it comes to something like transporting a whole deer, never forget that Murphy is waiting in the corner, chuckling evilly.

                              It's still too dang hot down here to be doing much prep unless you have a tractor with an air conditioned cab, which I do not. It's too early to plant---the drought and army worms will get your crop---and still too early to mow trails and roads since there is a month of growing time for it to come back. I think I'll stay inside and read about the secrets of killing monster bucks. I used to get out and do stuff in this heat back when I was young and dumb---I am no longer young.
                              I'm not as old as you guys, but in my experience Murphy tends to invite himself along, regardless of my wishes. Lol

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                                Every time I click on Answers from the home page, it still lists jcarlin's question from 7/18 as the most recent; this one and the one about GPS aren't even there. I got here by clicking on it in the margin of an article. Anyone else having this problem?
                                It's just trying to steer you to the most important issues.

                                I've had that problem occasionally. Try refreshing on the home page or under your browsers options tossing out old temp files or deleting the history (depending on browser) sometimes mine seems to keep loading previously cached portions of the page as being the current ones.

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                                Right Rail 1 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Birthday
                                  by Amflyer
                                  Bought the boy a new Left handed Tikka today for his upcoming birthday. Stainless, composite (plastic) stock. 30-06, but I will load to near 30-30 levels...
                                  Yesterday, 01:37 PM
                                • Gun show today
                                  by fitch270
                                  Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                                  08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                                • Beater .44 mag
                                  by CD2
                                  My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

                                  I inherited...
                                  08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                                • Eatin ‘chuck
                                  by dewman
                                  Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                  08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                                • Parallax adj
                                  by CD2
                                  Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

                                  Bud never came for scope and...
                                  08-07-2022, 06:22 PM

                                Right Rail 3 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X