Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On August 7th, a petition was started on Force Change to ban hunting pictures from social media. Tom Wheeler, U.S. Federal Communications Center Chairman is the target recipient. Is activity like this a serious threat to our way of life, hunting? Way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On August 7th, a petition was started on Force Change to ban hunting pictures from social media. Tom Wheeler, U.S. Federal Communications Center Chairman is the target recipient. Is activity like this a serious threat to our way of life, hunting? Way

On August 7th, a petition was started on Force Change to ban hunting pictures from social media. Tom Wheeler, U.S. Federal Communications Center Chairman is the target recipient. Is activity like this a serious threat to our way of life, hunting? Wayne Pacelle has said many times animal rights are the natural extension of liberalism. Can we trust politically appointed bureaucrats to protect our way of life and freedom of expression?

I hadn't heard anything about that. Guess that says something about how big of a movement it is, doesn't it?

Comment

I don't know how much of a threat it is, mainly because organizations like this are considered fairly extreme by the common person on the street. While I surely don't suggest we ever flat-out ignore an anti-hunting organization, I do think that they sometimes seem more threatening than they are. Time and again, polls (the honest ones, anyway) show that the average non-hunting citizen is either pro-hunting (almost always depending on the animal's meat not being wasted) or has no strong feelings about it either way. And again, I don't see very many people taking PETA and Force Change all that seriously. A good example is my workplace: We always have a number of college-student employees and interns, probably a good dozen different kids per year, many from the NYC-Long Island urban areas. There's no more liberal part of the population than college students, and no more liberal part of NY than that area -- but I've been here for nearly twenty years, always been very open about my hunting, and only a couple times has anyone seemed bothered by it. Quite a few of the students are actually interested (and a few come from hunting families themselves). Certainly my experience isn't a standard-setter, but overall I think it's a good example. By and large, I think a lot of the anti-hunting movement is plenty loud but lacking substance, and I think the average person sees this. // I'm not sure how to answer the second question. I don't know about the appointed officials; I guess that goes back to simply being careful about who we elect, and to that end, more hunters and fishermen need to just simply vote, and vote locally, not just in the presidential and gubernatorial races. My rural area shares its congressperson, for example, with a highly liberal community, and the congressperson is fairly liberal herself. Nonetheless, she knows what hunting is all about and has been right there listening to us when we talk. She helped get crossbows legalized and expand the area in which rifles could be used along with slug-guns during deer season. She's okay, in my book, and I know she's respected in the state capital. She's just my local representative now, but she carries some weight. I think too many voters overlook their local elections -- even those who wouldn't dream of not voting in the presidential election. Given how much really changes from one federal administration to the next, I think it should be the other way around.

Comment

Yes on the first question. Not this specific event, but the constant work by similar entities to demonize hunting does reap them rewards both in pop culture and cash.

No, we can not trust bureacrats OR politicians to protect anything but their own interests. We need to stay somewhat engaged so that protecting our interests is in their best interests.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          I hadn't heard anything about that. Guess that says something about how big of a movement it is, doesn't it?
          Not surprised, considering you hail from Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
            I don't know how much of a threat it is, mainly because organizations like this are considered fairly extreme by the common person on the street. While I surely don't suggest we ever flat-out ignore an anti-hunting organization, I do think that they sometimes seem more threatening than they are. Time and again, polls (the honest ones, anyway) show that the average non-hunting citizen is either pro-hunting (almost always depending on the animal's meat not being wasted) or has no strong feelings about it either way. And again, I don't see very many people taking PETA and Force Change all that seriously. A good example is my workplace: We always have a number of college-student employees and interns, probably a good dozen different kids per year, many from the NYC-Long Island urban areas. There's no more liberal part of the population than college students, and no more liberal part of NY than that area -- but I've been here for nearly twenty years, always been very open about my hunting, and only a couple times has anyone seemed bothered by it. Quite a few of the students are actually interested (and a few come from hunting families themselves). Certainly my experience isn't a standard-setter, but overall I think it's a good example. By and large, I think a lot of the anti-hunting movement is plenty loud but lacking substance, and I think the average person sees this. // I'm not sure how to answer the second question. I don't know about the appointed officials; I guess that goes back to simply being careful about who we elect, and to that end, more hunters and fishermen need to just simply vote, and vote locally, not just in the presidential and gubernatorial races. My rural area shares its congressperson, for example, with a highly liberal community, and the congressperson is fairly liberal herself. Nonetheless, she knows what hunting is all about and has been right there listening to us when we talk. She helped get crossbows legalized and expand the area in which rifles could be used along with slug-guns during deer season. She's okay, in my book, and I know she's respected in the state capital. She's just my local representative now, but she carries some weight. I think too many voters overlook their local elections -- even those who wouldn't dream of not voting in the presidential election. Given how much really changes from one federal administration to the next, I think it should be the other way around.
            Agreed Tioughnioga, local elections are very important right down to the parking areas and boat launches used to access hunting lands. And don't forget the always looming potential of discharge ordinances getting passed.
            In many respects, I think we are witnessing new political lines being hashed out; Seems it is more city folk versus country folk than liberal/conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
              Yes on the first question. Not this specific event, but the constant work by similar entities to demonize hunting does reap them rewards both in pop culture and cash.

No, we can not trust bureacrats OR politicians to protect anything but their own interests. We need to stay somewhat engaged so that protecting our interests is in their best interests.
              It's the idea of banning hunting photos that bother me. Back when video hunting games first came on the scene there was a debate regarding how they'd be rated; well that went badly for our side, as most if not all are rated violent. The very notion hunting is seen as violent is telling.

Comment

Speak for yourself, charlie. After all, it's well-known that most Wisconsinites only care about beer and cheese. LOL

Comment

What constitutes a "hunting photo", anyway? Is it a trophy photo depicting a dead animal? Or just any photo of a hunting-related activity?

Comment

Guess I never addressed the second question. The only time we should trust a politically appointed bureaucrat is when we trust the politician who appointed them. I have yet to encounter a politician I trust, though.

Comment

And the problem is...?

Comment

In the case of this petition, it is any dead animal taken while hunting. I'm sure you understand why I will not post a link to this petition.

Comment

Funny thing about the fear of violence. 1- Violence is out there, you can close your eyes if you wish but it doesn't change the world. 2-Sometimes it's beneficial.3-They don't really believe hunters and gunowners are the bloodthirsty savages they like to depict us as. If they did, they'd tread lightly. Physical courage in general is not in general a gift of that side. Admittedly there are some who do, but there is nothing I've seen to make me believe it's the norm.

Comment

I'd just like to type "in general" one more time.

Comment

Simply put, I do not feel we can trust any politically appointed bureaucrats to
                              protect us in any way unless in some way that it benefits them directly. With
                              all the criticism that is uttered at Trump, one would think he is the worst person
                              to be considered as a president. With that being said, with the support that he
                              has gotten in order to be the republican nominee, you would think the political
                              establishment would wake up and realize that the American electorate is totally
                              feed up with the BS in this country that has been called politics for the past many
                              years ! Even with the dissent that appears to be rampent in this country, we still
                              keep hearing the same routine political talk from those governing us. I am afraid
                              that liberalism has become too entrenched in America politics to be changed at
                              this time and heaven help us if it has ! Those who are thinking about not voting
                              for Trump better think about what will happen if the democrats retain power in
                              this country. We will be led by a person who has lied to Congress, the FBI and
                              most important, to us, the American people. Do we want someone who can not
                              be trusted with the most important aspect of a country, that being the protection
                              of it's national security through the protection of classified information, and then
                              openly react as though she did nothing wrong. This woman is a danger to this
                              country and all of us in it. There will be those who will say that I am too serious
                              in this matter, but remember the old saying "if you are keeping your head about
                              you while those around you are losing their's, maybe you have just not grasped
                              the seriouness of the situation".

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget