Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever heard strange animal noises while hunting or fishing that you couldn't identify/explain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
    Bowhunting deer; about four years ago while sitting on my gobbler lounger on the edge of a cornfield bordering a bean field something viciously growled at me. It sounded like it was a few rows behind my position. I stayed put until the end of shooting hours and didn't see any deer that evening nor did the growly thing show itself. That was a Monday evening the following Wednesday morning I shot this doe which I followed up within 3 hours and found a lot of meat gone. At the time I wrote about it on my blog. https://www.charlieelk.com/2012/09/20/what-ate-my-deer/
    @Charlie,
    I assumed that, just had to ask it. The reason I asked is because I remember hearing a story from my dad that he once shot a deer that he claimed was very large but could not find it so we went back to the house to get help and they all went out to look for it. Eventually someone found a deer, but it was no where near as big as the one my dad claimed he had shot and they all laughed at him and dragged the deer back. This was opening day of gun season, so obviously that deer was still fresh. My dad went back out(without a gun) and ended up finding the actual deer he had shot, and it was truly as big as he said it was(for our property at the time..it was actually a pretty small deer by today's standards).

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
      Charlie's photo made me think of this; don't think I've ever posted this photo here before. I think I've told the story - I shot this buck in 2009, and due to a bad hit elected to leave it overnight. When I found the deer the next morning, I would guess that close to 150 pounds had been eaten. Everything from the middle of the front shoulders on back was picked clean. He was a pretty big-bodied deer, and what was left couldn't have weighed more than 100 pounds. I've always wondered what ate all that...
      @hft,
      You can usually tell when a large group of animals kill/eat something. Especially coyotes...they don't exactly worry about making a mess. Also it is strange that it takes that long for coyotes in your area to eat it. We've set up cameras and had coyotes eating off of it within hours, sometimes even before darkness falls.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        Have you been watching those bigfoot tv shows, HFT? But to answer your question, yes, all the time. We are surrounded by woods, and I spend a lot of time outside. I rarely hear a sound I do not recognize during the day...seems to always be when it is getting dark/is dark. And there have been multiple sounds that have actually made me a little afraid at that particular time. I think most of the time it is just due to the sounds being muffled or whatever by wind, etc. Just this past turkey season me and a friend were just sitting on a truck tailgate talking when it sounded like a tasmanian devil was in our field screaming his eyes out(if you don't know the sound youtube it), but it was too dark to see down there. We know exactly where it was coming from because we could hear splashing in our creek. Still have no idea what it was but it freaked us both out. Went down there and never saw any blood or hair or anything.
        One of my buddies had a great snake story. He was fishing the Delaware and had tucked his minnow bucket in a cool pool between a couple of rocks. He wasn't alone, and all day kept thinking that minnows were disappearing at a faster rate than he'd expect, but he wasn't alone and couldn't swear he was keeping accurate track. Picked it up to dump the bucket at the end of the day when out of minnows and in the light it was obvious that the entire bottom was occupied by a coiled coppermouth. They had been reaching their hands in there to snag minnows with that snake in it for who knows how many hours.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          Bowhunting deer; about four years ago while sitting on my gobbler lounger on the edge of a cornfield bordering a bean field something viciously growled at me. It sounded like it was a few rows behind my position. I stayed put until the end of shooting hours and didn't see any deer that evening nor did the growly thing show itself. That was a Monday evening the following Wednesday morning I shot this doe which I followed up within 3 hours and found a lot of meat gone. At the time I wrote about it on my blog. https://www.charlieelk.com/2012/09/20/what-ate-my-deer/
          @JM, Funny you mention that, because I have always wondered if I actually found the first buck I ever shot, or a different one. This was New Year's Eve 2005, my first deer season. We were doing a small deer drive, and I was one of the standers, when a nice buck and a couple does came wandering up from behind me and gave me an easy 40 yard shot. I proceeded to blow the shot completely, and we ended up having to leave him overnight. We found him - or at least a dead buck - the next day, but a heavy rain overnight had erased all traces of a blood trail, and I just happened to stumble across the deer while grid-searching about 1/2 mile from where I had shot him. The thing is that I have a very clear memory of the buck standing quartering-to when the gun went off, but the bullet raked straight down one side, which should've been impossible if he was quartering to me. It didn't appear to have deflected off anything either.

Comment

Charlie's photo made me think of this; don't think I've ever posted this photo here before. I think I've told the story - I shot this buck in 2009, and due to a bad hit elected to leave it overnight. When I found the deer the next morning, I would guess that close to 150 pounds had been eaten. Everything from the middle of the front shoulders on back was picked clean. He was a pretty big-bodied deer, and what was left couldn't have weighed more than 100 pounds. I've always wondered what ate all that...
            @JM, The area was pretty beaten-down, like a bunch of animals had been there, but otherwise there wasn't much of a mess. Some blood, and a little hair, and that was it. I have no clue what they did with all that hide - ate it?

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
              I've heard several noises that I can't explain, and that's it---I can't explain them---have no idea what made them.

Most have been, as JM said, right at first light or at dusk, and the location has been on top of a steep ridge that drops into a half-mile wide creek bottom/swampy area. I suspect the sources of the noises are birds or reptiles (gators and bullfrogs) but they were nothing I could come close to identifying. A couple of times, I was glad the source of the sound was down that steep hill and that I was on top of the ridge, not too far from the Jeep. I mean, heck, the possibility of a giant mutant reptile adds a measure of spice to life and makes a fine campfire story for the grandkids.

Also, I've had deer I couldn't find until the next morning and only found bones, hide and head. No doubt it was coyotes. I don't care what the history of 'yotes is---a pack in full cry not far away while I making my way out from my stand after dark will keep the hair on the back of my neck raised and all my senses on full alert.
              I agree with you on that Country Road! The coyotes definitely put me on edge when walking back to the 4x4 alone in the dark

Comment

They will eat everything from a 200 lb sow. A week later and there's not even hair left.

Comment

Two such events come to mind for me, both occurred while bowhunting deer in the fall several years ago.

One night I was set up on the edge of a big valley, in a stand where I could see and hear a long distance. A little after sundown, I heard what sounded exactly like a pig squealing up in a steep, rocky side hollow that drained into the main valley. Being from Iowa, I know what a squealing pig sounds like, and this was a dead-ringer for that. The only problem was that I was hunting a large area of public land, and there should not have been any hogs within a mile or more in that direction. The sound went on for maybe a minute, then quit. My best guess is either a hog that escaped from a neighboring farm, or a bobcat. Both are unlikely in my area, but anything's possible.

The other time was when I was hunting the edge of a standing cornfield. About late afternoon, I heard something crashing through the corn, and then what I can only describe as the bawls of something dying slowly and painfully. It sounded like a rabbit, only deeper and louder. They were occasionally interspersed with what sounded like growling and snarling. The noises moved up and down the field in front of me several times, then died away and silence reigned. Never did see anything moving. Needless to say, I left before full dark that night. I went back and searched the field a couple of times, but found nothing. The only possibility I have thought of was that it was a coyote(s) attacking a deer.
                  Feral pigs are everywhere. Could be what you heard

Comment

I've heard lots of weird noises when paddling back to the boat launch at night. Lots of animals are on the move in a swamp when it's dark.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget