Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever heard strange animal noises while hunting or fishing that you couldn't identify/explain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever heard strange animal noises while hunting or fishing that you couldn't identify/explain?

Have you ever heard strange animal noises while hunting or fishing that you couldn't identify/explain?

On occasion. Couldn't even explain. I travel in limited areas so typically I know or have a good guess. Every once in a while I hear something where you wonder if it's even mammal, bird, or amphibian.

When fishers (or fisher cats) first started moving into the area they really freaked out some of the neighbors. We only even thought to look up their woman in distress cries because I had seen a couple in the open travelling near the creek.

There's something (I think a bird) around the house the last month or so that I hear in the evenings. If I were to describe it it'd be somewhere between a mourning dove and garrulous raccoon... or a whippoorwill with a slow cadence that never finishes off the last note. No idea what it is.

Comment

Have you been watching those bigfoot tv shows, HFT? But to answer your question, yes, all the time. We are surrounded by woods, and I spend a lot of time outside. I rarely hear a sound I do not recognize during the day...seems to always be when it is getting dark/is dark. And there have been multiple sounds that have actually made me a little afraid at that particular time. I think most of the time it is just due to the sounds being muffled or whatever by wind, etc. Just this past turkey season me and a friend were just sitting on a truck tailgate talking when it sounded like a tasmanian devil was in our field screaming his eyes out(if you don't know the sound youtube it), but it was too dark to see down there. We know exactly where it was coming from because we could hear splashing in our creek. Still have no idea what it was but it freaked us both out. Went down there and never saw any blood or hair or anything.

Comment

Two such events come to mind for me, both occurred while bowhunting deer in the fall several years ago.

One night I was set up on the edge of a big valley, in a stand where I could see and hear a long distance. A little after sundown, I heard what sounded exactly like a pig squealing up in a steep, rocky side hollow that drained into the main valley. Being from Iowa, I know what a squealing pig sounds like, and this was a dead-ringer for that. The only problem was that I was hunting a large area of public land, and there should not have been any hogs within a mile or more in that direction. The sound went on for maybe a minute, then quit. My best guess is either a hog that escaped from a neighboring farm, or a bobcat. Both are unlikely in my area, but anything's possible.

The other time was when I was hunting the edge of a standing cornfield. About late afternoon, I heard something crashing through the corn, and then what I can only describe as the bawls of something dying slowly and painfully. It sounded like a rabbit, only deeper and louder. They were occasionally interspersed with what sounded like growling and snarling. The noises moved up and down the field in front of me several times, then died away and silence reigned. Never did see anything moving. Needless to say, I left before full dark that night. I went back and searched the field a couple of times, but found nothing. The only possibility I have thought of was that it was a coyote(s) attacking a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          Have you been watching those bigfoot tv shows, HFT? But to answer your question, yes, all the time. We are surrounded by woods, and I spend a lot of time outside. I rarely hear a sound I do not recognize during the day...seems to always be when it is getting dark/is dark. And there have been multiple sounds that have actually made me a little afraid at that particular time. I think most of the time it is just due to the sounds being muffled or whatever by wind, etc. Just this past turkey season me and a friend were just sitting on a truck tailgate talking when it sounded like a tasmanian devil was in our field screaming his eyes out(if you don't know the sound youtube it), but it was too dark to see down there. We know exactly where it was coming from because we could hear splashing in our creek. Still have no idea what it was but it freaked us both out. Went down there and never saw any blood or hair or anything.
          Probably a raccoon. They can make some truly unholy noises. I agree, all sounds seem creepier at night.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            Two such events come to mind for me, both occurred while bowhunting deer in the fall several years ago.

One night I was set up on the edge of a big valley, in a stand where I could see and hear a long distance. A little after sundown, I heard what sounded exactly like a pig squealing up in a steep, rocky side hollow that drained into the main valley. Being from Iowa, I know what a squealing pig sounds like, and this was a dead-ringer for that. The only problem was that I was hunting a large area of public land, and there should not have been any hogs within a mile or more in that direction. The sound went on for maybe a minute, then quit. My best guess is either a hog that escaped from a neighboring farm, or a bobcat. Both are unlikely in my area, but anything's possible.

The other time was when I was hunting the edge of a standing cornfield. About late afternoon, I heard something crashing through the corn, and then what I can only describe as the bawls of something dying slowly and painfully. It sounded like a rabbit, only deeper and louder. They were occasionally interspersed with what sounded like growling and snarling. The noises moved up and down the field in front of me several times, then died away and silence reigned. Never did see anything moving. Needless to say, I left before full dark that night. I went back and searched the field a couple of times, but found nothing. The only possibility I have thought of was that it was a coyote(s) attacking a deer.
            Raccoons can sound like pigs at times squeals and all. Ironic that you thought the sounds I heard was a raccoon as well.

Comment

I've also heard of people mistaking a raccoon screaming in the middle of the night for the sound of a woman(human) screaming. Creepy.

Comment

I thought about a raccoon being a possibility, and it could've been I guess, but I've heard a lot of coons, and have never heard one make a sound like that.

Comment

Fishers, too, have an ungodly scream.

Comment

Bowhunting deer; about four years ago while sitting on my gobbler lounger on the edge of a cornfield bordering a bean field something viciously growled at me. It sounded like it was a few rows behind my position. I stayed put until the end of shooting hours and didn't see any deer that evening nor did the growly thing show itself. That was a Monday evening the following Wednesday morning I shot this doe which I followed up within 3 hours and found a lot of meat gone. At the time I wrote about it on my blog. https://www.charlieelk.com/2012/09/20/what-ate-my-deer/
                    Attached Files

Comment

JM, while out at night you must learn and believe you are the thing that goes bump in the night. With that attitude, everything else will be afraid of you.

Comment

@charlie,
                        Yes, I've learned to have that mentality. Only thing I am afraid of would be stepping on a snake, lol. I spend a good portion of the nights during the summer fishing. Heck, we went noodling a few weeks ago in pitch black night. If you want to know what is a little freaky it's when something swims against your leg or something is moving on the bank a few feet from you but its so dark you don't know what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                          Bowhunting deer; about four years ago while sitting on my gobbler lounger on the edge of a cornfield bordering a bean field something viciously growled at me. It sounded like it was a few rows behind my position. I stayed put until the end of shooting hours and didn't see any deer that evening nor did the growly thing show itself. That was a Monday evening the following Wednesday morning I shot this doe which I followed up within 3 hours and found a lot of meat gone. At the time I wrote about it on my blog. https://www.charlieelk.com/2012/09/20/what-ate-my-deer/
                          I remember reading this story and still can't figure it out. I think it had to be a combination of animals. A mountain lion alone would've scattered hair everywhere or at least left the hide, so my guess is that it was a mountain lion and some birds taking the ripped hide.

Comment

I used to be terrified of the dark when I was a kid, but I'm better now. Anything I can identify doesn't scare me, it's only the unknown noises that are a bit disconcerting.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                              Yeah, I remember that, too. Pretty crazy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget