Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you take game thats not your intentional quarry,,just because its there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you take game thats not your intentional quarry,,just because its there?

do you take game thats not your intentional quarry,,just because its there?

In fall and winter, I usually say I'm grouse-hunting but I'll still take a rabbit if one presents itself. Gray squirrels are in season at the same time, but I seldom shoot them anymore when I'm out with the shotgun. Grouse and rabbit open on October 1st, while squirrel opens on September 1st; I usually go out a couple times in September with my .22, and that's about the only time I take squirrels. I used to keep an eye open for all three, all the way up to their common closing date of Feb. 28th, but now when a squirrel shows up I just watch it and tell it how lucky it is that I got tired of picking shot out of what little meat they have to begin with. We recently got a bear season, which coincides with deer season, but I won't shoot a bear if I see one. For one thing, I have no idea if I even like bear meat; for another, it just doesn't sit right with me to shoot something just because I can. If it's a deer-hunt, I'm hunting deer. That's a little different than what I said about grouse and rabbits, but dropping a bunny into the game pouch is different than having a big animal to get out of the woods and process -- and, I admit, it does seem that a bear's life is a more significant thing than a rabbit's. Sorry, Thumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
      In fall and winter, I usually say I'm grouse-hunting but I'll still take a rabbit if one presents itself. Gray squirrels are in season at the same time, but I seldom shoot them anymore when I'm out with the shotgun. Grouse and rabbit open on October 1st, while squirrel opens on September 1st; I usually go out a couple times in September with my .22, and that's about the only time I take squirrels. I used to keep an eye open for all three, all the way up to their common closing date of Feb. 28th, but now when a squirrel shows up I just watch it and tell it how lucky it is that I got tired of picking shot out of what little meat they have to begin with. We recently got a bear season, which coincides with deer season, but I won't shoot a bear if I see one. For one thing, I have no idea if I even like bear meat; for another, it just doesn't sit right with me to shoot something just because I can. If it's a deer-hunt, I'm hunting deer. That's a little different than what I said about grouse and rabbits, but dropping a bunny into the game pouch is different than having a big animal to get out of the woods and process -- and, I admit, it does seem that a bear's life is a more significant thing than a rabbit's. Sorry, Thumper.
      And one thing I really hate is a small-game hunter who shoots chipmunks or songbirds, etc. just to pull the trigger on something. I think you meant actual game with your question, but it also made me think of things like this.

Comment

If you mean that the unintended game is in season, then of course it is legal ! When I go hunting, I say "I'm going
        hunting", not that I am going after intended game. If you are talking about game out of season just to shoot it
        because it is there, of course not, that is not a hunter, that is a killer !!

Comment

If I want to shoot something, and it's legal to do so, then I shoot it. If I don't want to for any reason, or it's not legal, I don't. It's always seemed pretty simple to me. I'm certainly not going to pass up a shot at a fall turkey while deer hunting just because I didn't specifically set out to kill a turkey that day.

Comment

Sometimes, especially the beasts that get aggressive towards me, my dog or the intended game. More than one coyote has been killed while turkey and deer hunting. If the bears and cougars don't back off soon... A black bear tried to get in the house a couple of nights ago if he'd succeeded or failed to run when I confronted him, never mind I wasn't hunting. A couple of new bear hunters got permission to hunt here.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
              If I want to shoot something, and it's legal to do so, then I shoot it. If I don't want to for any reason, or it's not legal, I don't. It's always seemed pretty simple to me. I'm certainly not going to pass up a shot at a fall turkey while deer hunting just because I didn't specifically set out to kill a turkey that day.
              Very accuretly and simply stated, hft !

Comment

Game NO, varmints, YES.

Comment

Rarely, but I've taken a few shots at squirrels on a slow day of archery hunting. Particularly if there is one that never seems to forget I'm there and has to tell the world about it. Dodgy little buggers if they're watching you on the release though. Matrix level evasive maneuvers.
                  I don't see a problem with it in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                    Rarely, but I've taken a few shots at squirrels on a slow day of archery hunting. Particularly if there is one that never seems to forget I'm there and has to tell the world about it. Dodgy little buggers if they're watching you on the release though. Matrix level evasive maneuvers.
                    I carry a couple of judo-tipped arrows specifically for squirrels when deer hunting. I've gotten several, and missed a bunch. They're pretty dang hard to hit, especially when they've got the drop on you. I got a couple of the misses on video, and when you play the clips back in slo-mo, you can see the squirrel jump out of the way a millisecond before the arrow arrives. Removed a tuft of fur from both of them, but did no serious damage.

Comment

I own a few, but never carried into the woods. I failed to find where the code here allowed me to carry them while deer hunting. It is fairly specific about minimum diameters and geometry of cutting surfaces.

Comment

Hi...!!

When small game hunting, usually with a .410/.22 over-under, I'll usually try to take rabbits, ruffed grouse or even Wood Ducks with it.

On rare occasions when I see some squirrels, I'll take some with the .22

I would NEVER shoot a squirrel with a shotgun...!!).

Comment

Good point again Richard

Comment

JCARLIN, I think broadheads have a minimum in Alabama but that doesn't keep you from carrying other tips at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                              Hi...!!

When small game hunting, usually with a .410/.22 over-under, I'll usually try to take rabbits, ruffed grouse or even Wood Ducks with it.

On rare occasions when I see some squirrels, I'll take some with the .22

I would NEVER shoot a squirrel with a shotgun...!!).
                              Why would you not shoot a squirrel with a shotgun?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget