Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any personal traditions or superstitions (never been a fan of that term, but a lot of people use it) that you always follow when hunting or fishing? Things like wearing a "lucky" hat, or always hunting the same spot on opening day, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    I am not a superstitious person at all, so I don't really have many odd quirks, like the lucky hat or whatever. However, there are a couple of things. I never tell anyone that I think I'm going to have a successful hunting or fishing trip before going. I have no evidence to back this up, but it seems like every time I have predicted a successful outing in the past, it has turned out to be a dismal failure. I do have a couple of traditions I've developed. I always hunt the small family farm on my first outing of the archery deer season. It's the area where I grew up hunting, and it's where I shot my first deer. I have better hunting spots - I've never shot a deer there on that first hunt, in fact - but I'm very comfortable hunting there, and it helps me get in the swing of things and shake off any rust that might've accumulated over the off-season. Another one is that I will not hunt in the morning on an empty stomach. No matter how early I have to get up, I always make time to grab a bite to eat first. Having some fuel to burn sure makes trudging through the dark woods easier.
    Amen to that HFT, I don't go out the door to hunt without a full belly.

Comment

I'll always say a prayer to the Man Upstairs the night before every hunt. Mostly I just ask Him to help keep me/us safe, and give thanks for the opportunity to just be outdoors, doing what I love to do.

Comment

I have always wore my Remington hat, just about catch or kill something every time, and this turkey is from last year, still after this years
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Griffthebiggamehunter View Post
          I have always wore my Remington hat, just about catch or kill something every time, and this turkey is from last year, still after this years
          Nice hat! I've got one similar - perhaps I need to start wearing it for luck!

Comment

During the last week of May every year, I take off a day from work and go to the Cahaba River, here in Alabama. The Cahaba Lily is in bloom at that time and there is a mile long shoals with a large concentration of the flowers.

It's a solo paddling trip for me. Generally the water is low and the canoe has to be walked through the shallow parts, both downstream and up. It's very much worth it for the fishing, beauty, and solitude... That's where I want my ashes scattered someday.
            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X