Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any personal traditions or superstitions (never been a fan of that term, but a lot of people use it) that you always follow when hunting or fishing? Things like wearing a "lucky" hat, or always hunting the same spot on opening day, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any personal traditions or superstitions (never been a fan of that term, but a lot of people use it) that you always follow when hunting or fishing? Things like wearing a "lucky" hat, or always hunting the same spot on opening day, etc.

Do you have any personal traditions or superstitions (never been a fan of that term, but a lot of people use it) that you always follow when hunting or fishing? Things like wearing a "lucky" hat, or always hunting the same spot on opening day, etc.

On my first ever hunting trip, I buried a man in the woods. At least his ashes. I'd never met him, but from all reports he was a fine southern gentleman who befriended my wife's uncle when one or the other responded to a personal in the back of a hunting periodical to host each other and swap hunts in their respective areas. His son, a nice young man who I met for the first time on this trip, was along to say goodbye to his father. Hunting up by Bob's camp had become the father's favorite destination and this is where the family wanted him to rest.
    I didn't take a deer on that trip, but I came back out another weekend, and I was hunting near Al's resting space, out of his favorite tree. As hunting light was fading on my last opportunity for the season, I said "Al, I know we've never fully met, but if you're hanging around, the new guy in camp could really use some help putting his first deer on the ground." and like magic, suddenly there was a doe and two good sized yearlings with her. They were about 150 yards out (someone estimate further, but I'm sticking with it) and partway up the mountain from me. Heart pounding, I made the doe mine own.

I get up that way maybe every 3 or 4 years during the season. It's not around the corner and I've had young kids and a busy job with end of year deadlines for the last 19 years (though kids are finally growing out of "young"). If I'm on that side of the mountain, I never fail to thank Al and maybe ask for a little nudge in my favor.

Comment

You, huntfish?

Comment

I have a ton of them, mostly little things though. I blame all those years of playing baseball. The main one while hunting is that I always carry one extra bullet in my pocket while deer hunting on top of a fully loaded gun. Usually in the pocket of my orange vest. The main one while fishing is that I will not fish unless I have a stringer with me even if I have no intention whatsoever of keeping a fish.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          I have a ton of them, mostly little things though. I blame all those years of playing baseball. The main one while hunting is that I always carry one extra bullet in my pocket while deer hunting on top of a fully loaded gun. Usually in the pocket of my orange vest. The main one while fishing is that I will not fish unless I have a stringer with me even if I have no intention whatsoever of keeping a fish.
          My only thing fishing is that if I so much as have the slightest urge to urinate while trout fishing, I'll stop fishing. I don't know what I do, but I'd swear that I hurry things just a little bit more or am a little jumpier and I've never caught a trout while I had to take a leak.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
            On my first ever hunting trip, I buried a man in the woods. At least his ashes. I'd never met him, but from all reports he was a fine southern gentleman who befriended my wife's uncle when one or the other responded to a personal in the back of a hunting periodical to host each other and swap hunts in their respective areas. His son, a nice young man who I met for the first time on this trip, was along to say goodbye to his father. Hunting up by Bob's camp had become the father's favorite destination and this is where the family wanted him to rest.
            I didn't take a deer on that trip, but I came back out another weekend, and I was hunting near Al's resting space, out of his favorite tree. As hunting light was fading on my last opportunity for the season, I said "Al, I know we've never fully met, but if you're hanging around, the new guy in camp could really use some help putting his first deer on the ground." and like magic, suddenly there was a doe and two good sized yearlings with her. They were about 150 yards out (someone estimate further, but I'm sticking with it) and partway up the mountain from me. Heart pounding, I made the doe mine own.

I get up that way maybe every 3 or 4 years during the season. It's not around the corner and I've had young kids and a busy job with end of year deadlines for the last 19 years (though kids are finally growing out of "young"). If I'm on that side of the mountain, I never fail to thank Al and maybe ask for a little nudge in my favor.

@jcarlin,
            We have a few "Al's trees" on our property as well...it's weird but when around spots like that it always feels like the person is still around. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, who knows. Every now and then when the deer season gets hard I take out my fathers gun for some good luck...probably used it 5 days in the last 5 years, but all 5 days I have killed a deer. He's not around to hunt with me anymore, but he's the one that taught me how to hunt and it always feels like hes there with me telling me what to do when I'm using his gun. Weird feeling, that is for sure.

Comment

@jcarlin,
              There is a simple solution for that...chest waders and an adult diaper, lol!

Comment

I always try, when fishing, to grab a cold "ALE-8-1" (Local Ky ginger-ale) or a Coke and some form of horrribly unhealthy Little Debbie snack cake on my way out to fish. My dad and I used to do that, and it makes me think of him.

Comment

And that reminds me...there is an angler on the BASS elite series that says he always brings wet wipes on the boat with him...says he can't catch a fish if he has to...well I think you can guess where this story is going.

Comment

Originally posted by Jor Fly View Post
                    I always try, when fishing, to grab a cold "ALE-8-1" (Local Ky ginger-ale) or a Coke and some form of horrribly unhealthy Little Debbie snack cake on my way out to fish. My dad and I used to do that, and it makes me think of him.
                    @jor fly,
                    I try to be an extremely healthy person, but something about fishing makes me throw that out the window. Hunting doesn't do it, just fishing. Also, I'm gonna have to try some of that Ale-8-1 if I ever see it. I'll be in Ky later this year so maybe I'll run into some.

Comment

I'm wrapping up "The Old Man and the Boy" right now. This puts me in mind of it.
                      It is good to feel your father is close.
                      The outdoors wasn't my dad's thing. I think I disappoint him that I'm not into watching untold hours of sports on the weekends. I'm hoping my kids think of me while in the woods some day.

Comment

btw. I didn't mean I stopped for the day. I just took care of the problem.

Comment

@jcarlin,
                          I know...if you stopped for the day that would be going beyond superstition.

Comment

@jcarlin,
                            Like the book so far? Haven't ever head of it. My dad was the same way with sports, but always made time for hunting and fishing. While fishing he always had a radio with him for sports broadcasts, and when hunting he routinely made trips back to the house or his car to check the scores!

Comment

I have two different trout streams within five minutes of my house, but at this early time of the season I always drive about a half-hour to fish a river in the very rural farming area where my family lived long before my time, when my mom and dad first got married. I never lived in that area myself, but it was where my big brothers always took me fishing when I was little (they were both grownups before I was ten). It always seemed like such an adventure to make that trip. Funny thing is, we lived right next to a far better trout stream, but it was still a big deal to head out there to where they'd grown up. Nowadays, I do it because I've gotten to know that particular river very well, and because there's a fair bit of family nostalgia, and because it's one of the few remaining patches of farm country that's like it used to be. All the farms are still fairly small, owned by the same family for generations; there are farm stores and general stores in most of the little villages; and everyone waves when you pass on a country road. I'll be heading out there before sunrise tomorrow, in fact.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget