No announcement yet.

Why do you hunt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is just no help for me, To quote my Kentucky Shaman -"I'm a serial cervid killer."

Comment

I treat non-hunters with great respect and courtesy. Try to explain it's my way of life with strong emphasis on procuring organic food independently of food factories. In regards to anti-hunters, they're small minded, violent self-absorbed, and uppity people; hardly worth giving them the time of day.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        If an anti-hunter or non-hunter asks you why you hunt, what is your answer?
        Argh. A red-tailed perching around the last couple of days. My girls are locked up. I'm sure if I get back in the tree line a bit I'm going to find that chicken plucked and breasted.

Comment

It's not easy to put into words, but I would have to say that I hunt because eating wild game is a heck of a lot healthier than most store-bought meat. Plus sitting out in the woods beats any reality show I've seen for entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
            Used to be if a nonhunter asked me that question I just made some kind of joke or smart remark ("Because my therapist said I had to stop killing people...").

Eventually I realized that people were actually taking me seriously (which again I stress is NEVER a good thing to do) so now I just take a deep breath and say: "For lots of reasons." This in turn usually prompts the question: "Such as..."

So I try to be honest and put something indescribably beautiful into words. "Well my family has been hunting for at least six generations, and it's a great tradition that connects me to my father and his fathers before him." Then I'll usually follow that up with the variations of the answers you all gave. A love of the outdoors, having my own meat that I worked for and that wasn't just violently butchered by slave labor in some slaughterhouse. Or I say I do it for all of the emotions that go into hunting: adrenaline, sadness, relief, joy, reverence...

I like to think that by changing my tactics I've convinced a few people on the fence that hunting isn't bad, and that hunters aren't just the drunken redneck stereotypes society makes us out to be. This year I even had one young lady express an interest in going hunting after I gave my answer, and I hope to take her sometime soon.

And now I'll shut up and get off this soapbox.
            That's some good answers and I may use some of it, thanks!

Comment

There's four answers - the one for for non-hunters, the one for anti-hunters, the one for other hunters, and the actual.

For non-hunters I talk of the solitude and beauty of being alone in the woods, of the non game animals that can be observed, and of the challenge of the hunt.

For anti-hunters I emphasize the game management benefits and control of invasive species such as feral pigs

For hunters I agree with all they say about getting organic meat for the family at a reduced costs

The actual reason is pretty much as Charley Elk posted, "I'm a serial cervid killer."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget