Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you hunt?

Why do you hunt?

If an anti-hunter or non-hunter asks you why you hunt, what is your answer?

Comment

Oh jeez, I don't know where to start. I think the simple answer would be that I love being outdoors and I enjoy eating meat and prefer to know where it is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        From experience, no matter what you say to them, they always interpret your words as "I enjoy killing animals." Ironic that the worst part of hunting is the killing.

Comment

Oh really? I happen to love killing animals! Lol I'm joking of course; I just had to say it.

Comment

I hunt, therefore I am. To steal a philosophers line.

Comment

I guess everyone needs something to bitch about, so who am I to deprive
              them of their fun ? That would be like asking anti-hunters why they
              continue to have sex and spread their stupidity further into the gene pool.
              The simple answer of because I enjoy it, would go right over their heads,
              so why even bother to play their little games. I think we should concern
              ourselves with others, but there is too much credibility given to the anti-
              hunting community!!

Comment

JM hits the essence. Hard to improve on that.

I've sometimes added - because I can't get venison at the supermarket.

A truly simple answer. Because I love being in the woods observing nature when the sun comes up. And when it goes down. And the hours in between. And this gives me an honest reason to do so while procuring a significant amount of benefit for his family. Add the exercise, work, and fresh air.. and hunting for your existence might have been a tough way to live, but it wasn't a bad way to live.
                The 100lbs of venison my bow brought home last year while I enjoyed carrying it into the woods on 6 or 8 Saturdays is not to be scoffed at.

Comment

I dropped another masked bandit at the coop last night. I can tell you, I don't really like the killing. Like so many other necessary things, it's work and not entirely pleasant. But stealing the gun control motto.. "if it saves just one chicken"

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                    JM hits the essence. Hard to improve on that.

I've sometimes added - because I can't get venison at the supermarket.

A truly simple answer. Because I love being in the woods observing nature when the sun comes up. And when it goes down. And the hours in between. And this gives me an honest reason to do so while procuring a significant amount of benefit for his family. Add the exercise, work, and fresh air.. and hunting for your existence might have been a tough way to live, but it wasn't a bad way to live.
                    The 100lbs of venison my bow brought home last year while I enjoyed carrying it into the woods on 6 or 8 Saturdays is not to be scoffed at.
                    or for my family..

Comment

How do you know the coon is out there jcarlin? Do you hear a disturbance, or just stumble across it?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        I hunt, therefore I am. To steal a philosophers line.
                        Here's a joke one of my philosophy professors told us: Descartes had just moved into a new apartment, which happened to be on the second floor above a bar. Every night, he sat there trying to write, but it was just too noisy. Finally, one night, he lost his temper and stormed downstairs into the bar and screamed at everyone: "Will you people please just shut the hell up! I can't even think!" And he disappeared. (crickets ...)

Comment

Because I'm one of the few but fortunate humans who were born with the urge to do so; whose caveman gene is somehow still alive in this day and age; and who believes that this is a virtue, not a shortcoming.

Comment

Sometimes they may be trapped. Sometimes I hear a disturbance.
                            Sometimes, like lately there are signs that they've been trying the wire and I periodically take a step out in the evening and look. I have to clear the corner of the barn to see eyes bye the coop. It's amazing how often there are eyes by the coop.
                            My trapping rule is the traps will be in physical contact with the coop. Either live traps or dog safe.
                            Most years it's a couple a season keep hanging around. This year I could swear someone's been releasing them behind my house.

Comment

A fox was back there later (This I confirmed by tracks when I went to inspect). He was allowed to walk. Fox gets a chicken at night it's because I'm not maintaining my stuff. That's my fault. Raccoons will eventually break in going so far as to fatigue the fence wire after a night or two of just repetitively working a spot near a post. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it a few times. That's different.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X