Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a certain huntable species' population is down, perhaps way down to the point you'd be unlikely to fill your bag. Do you or would you keep purchasing a license or stop to save money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a certain huntable species' population is down, perhaps way down to the point you'd be unlikely to fill your bag. Do you or would you keep purchasing a license or stop to save money?

If a certain huntable species' population is down, perhaps way down to the point you'd be unlikely to fill your bag. Do you or would you keep purchasing a license or stop to save money?

Not having my hunting license for a year just wouldn't feel right. And here in NY, there's just one hunting license now -- as of changes made last year, there's no such thing anymore as "big game" or "small game" licenses. So, even if there were no grouse or rabbits, I'd be buying the same thing for deer and turkey anyway. Interesting point, though. If the numbers of a game species were that low, I would probably stop and consider before buying my license -- not so much for my own savings, but because the animals' decline would probably mean that the conservation department could be doing something better. I see enough of my money misused by state officials, that's for sure.

Comment

If I don't think I have a reasonable chance of success, I don't hunt that animal. And if I'm not going to hunt it, I'm not going to buy a tag/license. Of course, what constitutes a reasonable chance of success can be hard to define. How about you charlie?

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        If I don't think I have a reasonable chance of success, I don't hunt that animal. And if I'm not going to hunt it, I'm not going to buy a tag/license. Of course, what constitutes a reasonable chance of success can be hard to define. How about you charlie?
        Being that I asked the question I figure as a courtesy I should wait for others to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
          Not having my hunting license for a year just wouldn't feel right. And here in NY, there's just one hunting license now -- as of changes made last year, there's no such thing anymore as "big game" or "small game" licenses. So, even if there were no grouse or rabbits, I'd be buying the same thing for deer and turkey anyway. Interesting point, though. If the numbers of a game species were that low, I would probably stop and consider before buying my license -- not so much for my own savings, but because the animals' decline would probably mean that the conservation department could be doing something better. I see enough of my money misused by state officials, that's for sure.
          I'm with you, I don't feel complete until all my licenses, tags, stamps and applications are taken care of. WI has a do all Conservation Patron license which I buy in March on the day it first goes on sale. Bought my IA, KS and NE licenses on January 1, like to spend New Year day hunting in warmer climates.

Comment

I buy my license regardless, and some I have are Lifetime License so I get them automatically. If I even think the game is down in the areas I hunt, I will forgo hunting that species in that affected area. No sense beating down a game animal when they are down.

I watched a recent episode of 'The Last Alaskan' and was disappointed to see a total lack of conservation. While outside he spotted a spruce grouse and ran in to get his .22. He got the first one and was happy to have a good meal. Then he spots the others and proceeds to wipe out the entire flock - 6 or 7 in all. What does he think he is going to eat next year? I don't know the population numbers of the grouse, but to take that many, in the middle of winter, from the same group does not go to good conservation. JMHO.

Comment

I look at my license fees as a way to support the local IF&W. If I'm unlikely to fill my tag I'd allocate my time somewhere else, but I don't ever see myself cutting back on the tags I purchase or lotteries I enter.

Comment

In Michigan we must purchase a general hunting license anyway. But if
                a specific species was down or in trouble, it would appear to me to be
                counter productive to be hunting that species in the first place. I would
                hope that our conservation department would be wise enough to take
                it off the huntable list.

Comment

I'm a cajun living in the Big Thicket Wildlife Preservation. There are a lot of species, magnificent specimens that are on the endangered species list that I ate as a child and would sure like to sample again. LOL. The bayou is my backyard and it's beautiful here! That is the reason I use for purchasing a high dollar Texas license. And will continue to as long as my money and my mind will allow. Pic is looking out my back door...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by artiii26 View Post
                    I'm a cajun living in the Big Thicket Wildlife Preservation. There are a lot of species, magnificent specimens that are on the endangered species list that I ate as a child and would sure like to sample again. LOL. The bayou is my backyard and it's beautiful here! That is the reason I use for purchasing a high dollar Texas license. And will continue to as long as my money and my mind will allow. Pic is looking out my back door...
                    OK now you have me curious. What endangered species are tasty enough that you'd like to try them again? As a kid my Dad liked rattlesnake, me not so much. Some owls and hawks were trapped in the chicken coops and found their way to the dinner table. It's now illegal to take them here. Same with some turtles that were tasty and are now off limits by law.

Comment

Hi...!!

Whatever licenses I get each year...I would still continue to get them...regardless...!!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        I buy my license regardless, and some I have are Lifetime License so I get them automatically. If I even think the game is down in the areas I hunt, I will forgo hunting that species in that affected area. No sense beating down a game animal when they are down.

I watched a recent episode of 'The Last Alaskan' and was disappointed to see a total lack of conservation. While outside he spotted a spruce grouse and ran in to get his .22. He got the first one and was happy to have a good meal. Then he spots the others and proceeds to wipe out the entire flock - 6 or 7 in all. What does he think he is going to eat next year? I don't know the population numbers of the grouse, but to take that many, in the middle of winter, from the same group does not go to good conservation. JMHO.
                        Hi...

I also watch The Last Alaskan when I can...!! Lately there's been many 'Alaskan' shows on TV...and you'll see in many...if not all of them...ignorance and lack of preparation for their outings...!!

Many times they are interesting, and many times they are 'hokey' and/or scripted...!!

Most of them I choose not to watch...although The Last Alaskan appears to be a bit different than most of them...!! I think the last episode is this Sunday...!!

Comment

A huntable species that is in trouble needs help more that ever. License fees are the main support of all that help. According to game department stats most hunters drop away, in the game management business it's called hunter churn. I do buy the licenses and stamps even if I am not going to go hunting. For example upland like pheasants, quail and grouse are in trouble so I bought licenses for them in WI, MN, IA, NE and KS. It's the most effective way I know of to contribute to their well being. And, Yes, I hunted them because that keeps the wild in them.

Comment

I too, continue to purchase license and various tags I will not use

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                              In Alabama it's also a general hunting license. I don't hunt waterfowl so no stamp is needed. Very uncomplicated. And, I'm always hunting in warmer climates, LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
                                by 99explorer
                                A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                                The first station is a mile from home,...
                                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              • Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X