Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was just watching an outdoors TV show, and one of the main characters said that he always likes to hunt on an empty stomach, because it sharpened his instincts. He likened it to a wild animal not hunting on a full belly, only when it's hungry. I'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just watching an outdoors TV show, and one of the main characters said that he always likes to hunt on an empty stomach, because it sharpened his instincts. He likened it to a wild animal not hunting on a full belly, only when it's hungry. I'd

I was just watching an outdoors TV show, and one of the main characters said that he always likes to hunt on an empty stomach, because it sharpened his instincts. He likened it to a wild animal not hunting on a full belly, only when it's hungry. I'd never thought about it before, but it kind of made sense. Anybody here follow that practice or have any thoughts about it?

For an animal, that makes sense. Kind of like not drag racing with a full tank. For me though, I'd say the opposite is true. As my jeans will tell you, I don't like to do much on an empty stomach. If I'm hungry, that's all I tend to think about. When that happens, my hunts get a little shorter or at the least, I get a bit less attentive.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
      For an animal, that makes sense. Kind of like not drag racing with a full tank. For me though, I'd say the opposite is true. As my jeans will tell you, I don't like to do much on an empty stomach. If I'm hungry, that's all I tend to think about. When that happens, my hunts get a little shorter or at the least, I get a bit less attentive.
      I like to eat too, so I rarely hunt on an empty stomach if I can help it. And it's true that being hungry does distract you from the matter at hand. But it's also true, at least for me, that eating a full meal makes me lazy and tired for at least a short period of time, so I'm less likely to do anything but lay on the couch. Lol Maybe the answer is to just eat a little bit before going hunting, to take the edge off your hunger later. It's about impossible to just eat a little bit though, if the food's good...

Comment

What a crock, those video hunters are always looking the next 'angle'. When the stomach is empty most of those stomachs protest by growling or grumbling. I would think some experienced prey would have figured out if they hear a grumbling tummy it's time to RUN.

Comment

I'm not buying that one. As you know in the upper Midwest many deer seasons require you to be out in some cold weather. You need the calories to stay warm. You also need the energy for walking and moving about. I think that is baloney.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
            I'm not buying that one. As you know in the upper Midwest many deer seasons require you to be out in some cold weather. You need the calories to stay warm. You also need the energy for walking and moving about. I think that is baloney.
            Charlie elk nailed it!! Most of those oversized egos are always trying to be the "first" to do something that the rest of us have already done. Bring 'em to my country for a 7 mile morning loop and they'll be chewing on sage brush about half way through.

Comment

While the logic is a joke, I don't often eat much while I'm hunting. Alternatively I do eat very large dinners, often in the 4000-5000 calorie range. This goes against advice any nutritionist would ever give, but I train for marathons in the non-hunting seasons and I eat a large dinner prior to a race rather than trying to eat during the race. I consider my day in the woods to be very similar to a marathon. I often cover similar distances 20+ miles a day. The biggest difference is that my marathon runs are about 4.5 hours and my hunts are up to 14-15 hours depending on what season I'm hunting. Another reason for me is weight. I'd rather carry a few light weight snack bars and increase my water intake rather than pack a lunch or any other meal for that matter. When I make my kill I typically have the supplies necessary to eat some fresh meat prior to pack out as well in order to gain more energy for the work ahead. Like I said the hosts logic is a bit strange but I do practice similar techniques.

Comment

I can't function at all when I'm hungry -- plus I've been known to get really, really crabby. I like to feel at peace when I'm in the woods, not p.o.ed at the world (or my hunting partners). And count me in with Charlie Elk regarding the TV host's quest for the next angle. Also, I'm skeptical about the "sharpening of the instincts." Mother Nature is not so easily fooled. I think that a human would have to be a little closer to a real survival situation before that would happen.

Comment

The few of these shows I have glanced at I never saw a participate who appeared to have ever missed a meal.

Comment

Yeah.. I don't buy that one. I'm another where I think the reverse is true, it's a distraction.
                    Trout fishing is always my thing where if my stomach's growling or my bladder is full I can't seem to catch a fish. I don't know if it's all in my mind, or if the added "stress" has me hurrying up retrieves or just doing something different that I'm not consciously registering. I've found that taking a break and meeting one of those two needs has a high percentage chance of breaking a slump in action.

Comment

Hi...

I find that hard to believe...but to each his own...!! If I'm hungry...I might be thinking about a snack, or a meal...Which may refocus my hunting thoughts toward getting something to eat, instead...!!

No, I'd rather be comfortable than hungry...!!

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                        What a crock, those video hunters are always looking the next 'angle'. When the stomach is empty most of those stomachs protest by growling or grumbling. I would think some experienced prey would have figured out if they hear a grumbling tummy it's time to RUN.
                        It actually wasn't a hunting show per se, it was Alaska, The Last Frontier. I have my doubts about the accuracy of a lot of the stuff they show on it anyway though.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                          The few of these shows I have glanced at I never saw a participate who appeared to have ever missed a meal.
                          Lol, good one.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                            I would have to agree. You can't stay warm in the cold if you're hungry. To make it even more unbelievable, this show is in Alaska, so it was VERY cold when he was saying that. And then of course it showed him shooting a red squirrel and roasting it over a fire on the spot because he was hungry. Kind of theatrical if you ask me...

Comment

It wasn't actually a hunting show, per se. It was Alaska, The Last Frontier. I am highly skeptical about a lot of the things they portray as reality on that (or any) show anyway - it seems to be pretty "Hollywoodized"; so maybe this falls into that category. I agree that the rationale behind it seemed...far fetched. But I think there is a little truth to the fact that a person will usually be less attentive and alert if they've just eaten a large meal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget