Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking this on the behalf of someone else: He wants either a revolver or semi-auto handgun in a caliber that would be big enough to kill a deer(don't think he plans on actually hunting with it though). He seems to be leaning towards a semi-auto. He

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking this on the behalf of someone else: He wants either a revolver or semi-auto handgun in a caliber that would be big enough to kill a deer(don't think he plans on actually hunting with it though). He seems to be leaning towards a semi-auto. He

Asking this on the behalf of someone else: He wants either a revolver or semi-auto handgun in a caliber that would be big enough to kill a deer(don't think he plans on actually hunting with it though). He seems to be leaning towards a semi-auto. He said $750 max, but I think he'd prefer it under $500. New or used, no preference. Any suggestion?

10mm or 460 rowland is what I would go with, leaning towards the 10 mm.

Comment

Make sure you can hunt with a semi-auto pistol before going any further for that state!! Ex: In PA, we can not carry or use semi-auto pistols or rifles for hunting. That being said, too many have said that unless 10 yards or shorter, a .357 isn't enough for a deer to drop it unless perfect placement. I would say either a .44magnum or .45LC. Wouldn't hurt to also purchase a .454 Casull so you can also shoot .45LC out of it and have multiple options for it. As for gun and make, I would say either a Ruger Blackhawk for .44 or the Super Redhawk for .454/.45LC. Both around $700 new. I believe Taurus makes the Raging Bull, which is also a .454, few hundred less, but also not the quality of the Ruger. If it will be for hunting only, maybe consider a Single Action Revolver. Not only will you have a sweet nostalgic revolver, but he will most likely be using a double-action in single-action anyway. As for a semi auto, my best guess would be to get a full frame 1911? I don't see a .40 or lower taking a deer down ethically and quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by idduckhntr_2 View Post
        Can the .460 be found in a long barrel other than 3" or so? Anytime I've seen a .460, it's been a "backpacker" style gun for close emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by idduckhntr_2 View Post
          460 Rowlands come in 5 or 6 in barrels and give close too 44 mag ballistics while the 10mm is closer to the 41 mag.

Comment

Originally posted by officerdom1987 View Post
            Make sure you can hunt with a semi-auto pistol before going any further for that state!! Ex: In PA, we can not carry or use semi-auto pistols or rifles for hunting. That being said, too many have said that unless 10 yards or shorter, a .357 isn't enough for a deer to drop it unless perfect placement. I would say either a .44magnum or .45LC. Wouldn't hurt to also purchase a .454 Casull so you can also shoot .45LC out of it and have multiple options for it. As for gun and make, I would say either a Ruger Blackhawk for .44 or the Super Redhawk for .454/.45LC. Both around $700 new. I believe Taurus makes the Raging Bull, which is also a .454, few hundred less, but also not the quality of the Ruger. If it will be for hunting only, maybe consider a Single Action Revolver. Not only will you have a sweet nostalgic revolver, but he will most likely be using a double-action in single-action anyway. As for a semi auto, my best guess would be to get a full frame 1911? I don't see a .40 or lower taking a deer down ethically and quickly.
            I can't agree more with what you posted officerdom. As far as the single action, I have never used a revolver to kill a deer without cocking the hammer first. This is in spite of the fact that I hunt with mostly double action.

Comment

The .44 mag is what I initially suggested. What's the shortest you'd go on the barrel? He also has his eye on an 1911 Remington R1

Comment

I will add to what officerdom1987 had to say about being sure what is legal in your state as far as semi-autos for hunting. In some states it is legal to hunt with them but there is a barrel length restriction. Good luck on getting a new handgun that would be reliable enough to use for hunting for his budget. For hunting, I favor a revolver and to be honest I lean toward the .44 magnum with the S&W engraved on the side but that is just me. For hunting with a handgun I am not a fan of any caliber that starts with any number less than 4.

Comment

Too many possibilities to list. Your friend needs to think through his intended use and then narrow the field some.
                  A gun shop or gun show can give him a chance to handle a firearm and see what 'fits'.

Comment

Magnum Research has a couple autos that could be used for deer. However, as the others have stated I would be looking for a used Ruger or Smith and Wesson in at least 41 Rem Mag. A longer barrel gives a little more velocity and also a longer sight radius for better accuracy.

Comment

I'd suggest saving some more pennies. If you're looking for a handgun that will take down a deer in that price range, your reliability and caliber selection becomes rather restricted. You can find some handguns closer to the 750 max budget like the Ruger Blackhawk or Ruger Super Blackhawk. As far as caliber is concerned I'd suggest the 41 or 44 mag. I recently saw one of these "USED" at a gun show for 850 but it did have a scope mounted.

As others have suggested look into local laws. Here in Colorado I think we even have a single action clause in our regulations, so double action revolvers and semi-auto handguns are illegal. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that in the most recent regulations book.

Comment

Go with a .44 mag. I've killed deer, bears and coyotes with this caliber. There is a wide range of loads available from easy to handle target to extreme hunting loads like Buffalo Bore. Plus there are numerous 44's on the used market that will fit his price range. My favorite is Ruger Super Redhawk which I've seen in gun shops used for $600-$800.
                        Semi autos have short chambers which even if the caliber is sufficient a good hunting load is not available. As a hunting handgun I gave up on these, perhaps there is something new on the market that I'm unaware of.

Comment

If he wants a semi-auto, and doesn't want to spend a lot, my brother has a Hi-Point semi-auto chambered in .45 ACP, and he's taken deer with it. It's +P rated, so you can use hot loads. It cost about $200, so it would be a cheaper option. Of course, you do get what you pay for in some respects. I've shot it a number of times, and it is very reliable, but doesn't have the greatest trigger and it's very heavy for a gun with a 4.5" barrel. I'm not a great shot with a handgun, but I can hold a 4" group at 25 yards off a rest. Honestly though, I would second the recommendation of most of the others here and advocate that he get a revolver, if he might use it for hunting. They have a lot of advantages for that use over semi-autos. I personally like revolvers better than semi-autos in general. Regardless of whichever style he goes with, I wouldn't get anything smaller than .40/10mm if he might hunt deer with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                            Magnum Research has a couple autos that could be used for deer. However, as the others have stated I would be looking for a used Ruger or Smith and Wesson in at least 41 Rem Mag. A longer barrel gives a little more velocity and also a longer sight radius for better accuracy.
                            exactly, briddog! but last time i checked, magnum research wants more than he's willing to spend.
                            the good ol boys i know prefer the 41 mag to the .44 but mostly because the only difference they notice is the recoil.
                            i prefer the 480 ruger in the 9 1/2 super redhawk because the recoil doesn't bother me.
                            he needs either .41 or .44 rem mag... just like .308 and 30-06... if you have one, there's no need for the other

Comment

Can you at least use a 10/22 in PA?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Birthday meal
                                by Amflyer
                                Oldest son turns 15 in a week or so. (Yeah, no outdoor stuff this year. He's getting a bass guitar. Bought himself a deer rifle after summer job anyway)...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • ‘Twas the night before ….
                                by fitch270
                                the bow opener, and it’s chilli cook off night at church.

What could possibly go wrong?!?

😳🤢🙄

09-30-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • Deciding on Spot for First Day
                                by wesman24
                                Hello Everyone,

I currently have a spot set up on public land that is new to me this year. I did quite a bit of scouting in the area and...
                                09-29-2022, 02:15 PM
                              • What now?
                                by FirstBubba
                                PM'ing on another blog site with a gent.
                                I had lamented the fact that I have 20 gauge and 12 gauge MEC 600Jr loaders, but only shoot 16 gauge....
                                09-28-2022, 05:50 PM
                              • Counting down
                                by fitch270
                                We’ve had an early bear weekend already and squirrel season opened September 1’st but this Saturday morning is a big deal, most small game seasons...
                                09-28-2022, 04:33 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X