Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gloves do you guys wear when hunting thick terrane, I wear really thin gloves so I can reload at the sacrifice of my hands, is there something thin that doesn't let briars through. We don't have dogs so we hunt by going into the thickest path we

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gloves do you guys wear when hunting thick terrane, I wear really thin gloves so I can reload at the sacrifice of my hands, is there something thin that doesn't let briars through. We don't have dogs so we hunt by going into the thickest path we

What gloves do you guys wear when hunting thick terrane, I wear really thin gloves so I can reload at the sacrifice of my hands, is there something thin that doesn't let briars through. We don't have dogs so we hunt by going into the thickest path we can find.

Depends on the weather. If it is hot then I will just deal with the scrapes or a loose pair of leather gloves which I can slip on and off easily. If it is cold I wear a thick base layer compression shirt with thumb holes. That way it covers the back of my hand and I can put my hand into a fist and generally stay scrape free. You can also alter a pair of gloves like bowhunters do. Cut off the thumb and index finger. Not sure what you are hunting in, but many plants grow in a certain direction, so you can avoid many cuts if you move in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
      Depends on the weather. If it is hot then I will just deal with the scrapes or a loose pair of leather gloves which I can slip on and off easily. If it is cold I wear a thick base layer compression shirt with thumb holes. That way it covers the back of my hand and I can put my hand into a fist and generally stay scrape free. You can also alter a pair of gloves like bowhunters do. Cut off the thumb and index finger. Not sure what you are hunting in, but many plants grow in a certain direction, so you can avoid many cuts if you move in the right direction.
      We go through such thick stuff you can only see 10 yards on most accounts, we have to go through very thick brush to get the most birds, we don't have dogs to do it for us while we walk the easy path. It may seem bad, but I get to take about a dozen shots and hit about 4 birds, but we find about half of them because we don't have a dog to help find them and it's too thick to pinpoint exactly where the bird landed.

Comment

Sounds like you should consider getting a puppy if you like brush busting. I started hunting with a beagle and it ws very successful for rabbits. Good luck.

Comment

I wear a unlined pair of leather gloves until it gets cold and then I go with a lined pair. In my opinion leather is hard to beat in briars. JHP makes a good point about the dog. That will make your hunting even more enjoyable. The training will also bond you with the pup and you'll have another hunting buddy. Good luck.

Comment

I wear gloves that my son provided to me. They are stretchy with a thin rubberized bottom. They are used in the warehouse and shipping industry. They are very flexible and you could thread a needle while wearing them. They give good protection to hands to prevent scratches and small cuts. Reloading and trigger pull is not affected, you really don't know you are wearing them after a few minutes. They don't provide much insulation for warmth, but my hands never were cold even in single digit temperatures when moving. When stationary in very cold conditions, I do use my pockets on occasion. I have several pair and even use them in dog training to plant birds as they are known to "claw' you. The older, worn gloves are great when working on your car or truck. Rarely a scratch on my hands now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pup49 View Post
              I wear gloves that my son provided to me. They are stretchy with a thin rubberized bottom. They are used in the warehouse and shipping industry. They are very flexible and you could thread a needle while wearing them. They give good protection to hands to prevent scratches and small cuts. Reloading and trigger pull is not affected, you really don't know you are wearing them after a few minutes. They don't provide much insulation for warmth, but my hands never were cold even in single digit temperatures when moving. When stationary in very cold conditions, I do use my pockets on occasion. I have several pair and even use them in dog training to plant birds as they are known to "claw' you. The older, worn gloves are great when working on your car or truck. Rarely a scratch on my hands now.
              Great while bow hunting too.

Comment

I love Manzellas bowhunters gloves. I use them for bowhunting, but they'd work good for gun hunting too. They're not going to stop aggressive briars, but I don't know anything that will except leather or fancy Kevlar gloves, and they won't be as nimble for reloading, etc.

Comment

I wear two pairs: The thin wool military-surplus kind, and then a pair of wool fishing gloves (no fingertips) with the rubber nubbins on the palms. They're both thin but the two layers offer some defense against thorns. Also, I usually wear a slightly oversized jacket with elastic cuffs, so I can pull them up all the way up to where they're even with the base of my thumbs, giving me a little more hand-coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                    I wear a unlined pair of leather gloves until it gets cold and then I go with a lined pair. In my opinion leather is hard to beat in briars. JHP makes a good point about the dog. That will make your hunting even more enjoyable. The training will also bond you with the pup and you'll have another hunting buddy. Good luck.
                    We have a black lab, but I don't want to have to go without a gun to train her, I have to drive 2 or 3 hours to get to the honeyhole, I ain't ever goin without a gun.

Comment

I know your frustration in that regard Woodcockpro. Protect your hands from either the cold or briars with some bulky gloves and you find yourself fumbling when it comes time to load the rifle. I have some decent gloves from Cabela with that textured grip on the palms and fingers that kind of keep the cold at bay and allow me to reload the shotgun or rifle reasonably well. Of course they aren't worth a damn at protecting you from those thistles as you crawl under a fence. I have yet to find a pair that doesn't hamper their utility oneway or another.

Comment

I've always used those work gloves w/ all the little rubber grips on them, they work great but I Iost them and can't find them back, I don't care about cold, I have to work hard enough to get through the brush that I'm hot when it's 10 degrees out.

Comment

Two ideas: I use the thin leather Army surplus without the liners or, I have a few contractor gloves that are available at Home Depot or Tractor Supply. They have several models to choose from. I use one style for hunting and also have another pair I wear for riding the motorcycle.

Comment

I use a pair of Mule Brand leather gloves that have the adjusting strap across the back of your hand. You might try going to the automotive section and get a pair of mechanics gloves. Inexpensive and good protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                              I know your frustration in that regard Woodcockpro. Protect your hands from either the cold or briars with some bulky gloves and you find yourself fumbling when it comes time to load the rifle. I have some decent gloves from Cabela with that textured grip on the palms and fingers that kind of keep the cold at bay and allow me to reload the shotgun or rifle reasonably well. Of course they aren't worth a damn at protecting you from those thistles as you crawl under a fence. I have yet to find a pair that doesn't hamper their utility oneway or another.
                              I'm talking small game, not using rifles. And I don't care about warmth, I work hard enough pushing brush that I get down right hot. I just want a pair that lets nothing through while being able to reload my side by side.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hit the river finally
                                by fitch270
                                Ball season wrapped up for us this week and I’ve managed to mostly finish up the projects we started last year. We set the camper up out back last night...
                                06-12-2021, 08:57 PM
                              • Tip for recoil pad fit. Apologies for yet again another Dewman post.
                                by dewman
                                So it occurred to me as I was fixing the mediocre rubber buttpad (not a recoil pad in my book) fit on my recent 10/22 Boyd's that I had never mentioned...
                                06-12-2021, 10:15 AM
                              • Tractor day
                                by fitch270
                                Just something fun that happens at our school the last Friday of classes before finals week. I have no idea who started it or when, it was past my time,...
                                06-10-2021, 11:57 PM
                              • A middle age paradox
                                by fitch270
                                So last weekend I placed an order and less than 15 minutes later realized I’d willingly set myself up.

I’ve often mentioned that the...
                                06-09-2021, 11:37 PM
                              • Father's Day comes early. SURPRISE!
                                by dewman
                                My wife listens to me and my pal talking about squirrel chasing every evening for a week and while we are talking the subject of my pals Boyds stocks...
                                06-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X