Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My brother has a sawed off 16 gauge side by side and swears its the ultimate upland bird gun, but in my experience using it, the shot spreads too fast and nonlethally injures way too many birds, what do you guys think about sawed off barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother has a sawed off 16 gauge side by side and swears its the ultimate upland bird gun, but in my experience using it, the shot spreads too fast and nonlethally injures way too many birds, what do you guys think about sawed off barrels?

My brother has a sawed off 16 gauge side by side and swears its the ultimate upland bird gun, but in my experience using it, the shot spreads too fast and nonlethally injures way too many birds, what do you guys think about sawed off barrels?

Great for self-defense, poor for everything else. They also may not be legal everywhere, depending on length.

Comment

I think it is a good way to ruin a shotgun. It would be a cylinder bore if much of the barrel is removed and at that point, in my opinion, would only be suitable for deer slugs.

Comment

I think if the Good Lord had intended us to use sawed off barrels for shooting birds, He wouldn't have put the idea of "Chokes" in someone's head.

Comment

Very simple answer. If you go out hunting with someone I am pretty sure they wont have a sawed off shotgun and there is a reason for that. I actually purchased a longer barrel for my shotgun this year for birds. No offense to your brother, but it sounds like he might have wanted to make up for a less than average aim.

Comment

Useful for very short range only. Check regulations to make sure it is legal.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
              Great for self-defense, poor for everything else. They also may not be legal everywhere, depending on length.
              Let me add to what huntfishtrap said; be absolutely sure it has not been sawed off too short. If it is too short there is no legal way to have it in your possession unless you have a tax stamp. That is a real good way for him to spend some hard time at the request of and paid for by the US Federal government. I also have to agree with the rest. It is a lousy hunting gun regardless of the wild game. It is only good close quarter work of the getting rid of two legged varmint kind, which is why it is illegal to own one.

Comment

Let me add to what huntfishtrap said; be absolutely sure it has not been sawed off too short. If it is too short there is no legal way to have it in your possession unless you have a tax stamp. That is a real good way for him to spend some hard time at the request of and paid for by the US Federal government. I also have to agree with the rest. It is a lousy hunting gun regardless of the wild game. It is only good close quarter work of the getting rid of two legged varmint kind, which is why it is illegal to own one.

Comment

I agree with what everyone has posted and I think JM makes a great point. If your brother needs a short barrel to hit something, he might want need to spend some time with some clay birds and a longer barrel.

Comment

PS. (A note from the older brother who actually owns the gun).

Only the length of the choke was sawed off, by a professional gunsmith. The gun is well within the legal limits. Since we don't use bird dogs, and tend to go in early fall when all the foliage is still up, shots tend to be very fast and within short range (under 20 yards). My little brother borrowed my gun once in late fall and being slower on the draw and having more open space, attempted shots over 20 yards, the actual range of the gun, and thus had issues.

Comment

Originally posted by woodcockpro View Post

Only the length of the choke was sawed off, by a professional gunsmith. The gun is well within the legal limits. Since we don't use bird dogs, and tend to go in early fall when all the foliage is still up, shots tend to be very fast and within short range (under 20 yards). My little brother borrowed my gun once in late fall and being slower on the draw and having more open space, attempted shots over 20 yards, the actual range of the gun, and thus had issues.
                      The original question was broad without much description of the gun. I will stick with my original answer that shortening a barrel is never a good idea for hunting. That said, if you have the strength to hold off on a bird that is a few yards out of the guns true lethal range than it's fine with me. Sometimes in the heat of the moment is is hard to judge distance and you never want to injure an animal without killing it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodcockpro View Post

I would personally rather have a gun that's capable of ethically taking game at ranges further than I would normally shoot, rather than the reverse, because I know from experience that I have a tendency to take longer-than-optimal shots in the heat of the moment. But if your brother or anyone else has the neccessary self-control to only take close shots, more power to him.

Comment

They have no purpose in hunting unless you need to take down a snake on your path in a desert or something, and that's what a Taurus Judge is for. Other than that, clearing alleys in the 1930's was the only useful purpose.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Right now
                            by fitch270
                            Yesterday, 10:45 PM
                          • Adjusting my O/U fit
                            by dewman
                            Dove season will be here before you know it. I know last year the early Teal season(September) was a one and done for me but I have a new shotgun, son...
                            Yesterday, 08:10 AM
                          • Ugggghhh
                            by fitch270
                            Didn’t have a chance to get pics because there wasn’t any shoulder to pull over onto, but saw a beaut of an 8pt laying dead just off the road today....
                            07-22-2021, 09:40 PM
                          • Score!!!!
                            by fitch270
                            Took my wife out tonight for her birthday at a Japanese restaurant out of town. Excellent meal. The place happens to be next door to our closest Walmart...
                            07-19-2021, 09:42 PM
                          • Weather conditions
                            by fitch270
                            My Rain songs thread on F&S led me to thinking about this.

One thing I’ve always enjoyed is still hunting in a steady drizzle with...
                            07-17-2021, 09:10 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X