Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You guys ever succeed with homemade weapons or traps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys ever succeed with homemade weapons or traps?

You guys ever succeed with homemade weapons or traps?

I've caught plenty of coons, possums and rabbits in homemade box traps. I make my own snares too, but out of commercially manufactured components, so not sure if that qualifies.

Comment

My grandpa taught me to make stove pipe traps. Take a length of pipe of the desired diameter, drill hole in the center and run a wire through attach it with sheet metal screws at both ends of the wire. Place the pipe in a rabbit run. The rabbit would go into the pipe up to the wire. It could go no further nor back out because the pipe was too slippery.
      Dead falls and snare worked well too. Piano wire was once a common throw away and made excellent snares. In WI both of these are illegal. Instead of snares we now use cable restraints, a snare with a stop on the wire so if a nontarget animal is caught it can be released unharmed. Whereas of course snares kill.

Comment

My dad taught me how to build box traps when I was a kid and I have had great success with those over the years. I built a scaled down version in high school to catch mice for a snake owning friend. That was probably one of my best traps once I figured out I needed a magnet on the door and a small steel plate on the floor to keep them from sliding the door back open. Many mornings I would have two mice in the trap.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          My grandpa taught me to make stove pipe traps. Take a length of pipe of the desired diameter, drill hole in the center and run a wire through attach it with sheet metal screws at both ends of the wire. Place the pipe in a rabbit run. The rabbit would go into the pipe up to the wire. It could go no further nor back out because the pipe was too slippery.
          Dead falls and snare worked well too. Piano wire was once a common throw away and made excellent snares. In WI both of these are illegal. Instead of snares we now use cable restraints, a snare with a stop on the wire so if a nontarget animal is caught it can be released unharmed. Whereas of course snares kill.
          Modern snares don't neccessarily kill charlie, that's a common misconception perpetuated by anti-trappers. I'm surprised to see you stating something like that. I just checked out the section in the WI trapping regs concerning cable restraints to make sure I knew what I was talking about, and what I use here in IA would most definitely be considered a snare in WI. But it is very rare for me to find a dead animal in one of my snares. About the only times it happens are when I make a coyote set under a fence (only with extreme caution of course) and the coyote jumped over the fence and hung itself, or when severe weather caused the animal to die of cold or hypothermia. Once in a while I have had a coyote that was snared in thick brush die because it tangled up tightly and choked down, but that can easily be avoided if desired by not setting in brush.

Comment

I've made a few working traps, but all but 1 were for my sister.
            The only 1 I designed myself that worked was a fish hook on a string with peanut butter on it, I put it in the rafters of my barn for mice, but got a grackle instead.

Comment

Tactics have changed over the years. I was corrected by a WI Trapper Instructor because I used to refer to cable restraints as snares. He educated me on the difference here. Anyway it has been a long time since I set traps. When I set my version of snares dead animals were the intended result, only on rare occasions would the animal be alive. The noose slid only one way, locking tighter, so that as the animal pulled they suffocated. When possible I set them in such a way the animal would fall off a limb or such to kill it quicker. Back then I preferred setting a trap to kill the animal. In today's more crowded areas cable restraints and all the other nonlethal traps are much better. Plus there are animals like otters, bobcats, lynx and fishers that require special permits. So if one of those get caught in your trap you better be able to release it if you don't have a permit.

Comment

Here's the type of snare sets with lift poles or spring poles I referred to in the comments to huntfishtrap. The hare set relied on the hare leaping up an over the brush inserting his head into the noose and hanging himself. These snare sets were common in the 1950's and early 1960's. They are now illegal in Wisconsin. Check your state's trapping regs before using.
                Attached Files

Comment

hft I posted picture examples of the snare sets I was referring to from the past. They are/were homemade. Not sure where it's legal to use them anymore.

Comment

Illustrations of a couple of "homemade" deadfall traps.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's the type of snare sets with lift poles or spring poles I referred to in the comments to huntfishtrap. The hare set relied on the hare leaping up an over the brush inserting his head into the noose and hanging himself. These snare sets were common in the 1950's and early 1960's. They are now illegal in Wisconsin. Check your state's trapping regs before using.
                      That's pretty archaic technology charlie. It may still be used by somebody somewhere, but I've never personally used that type of set, and I don't know any trapper that has. Now, maybe you can make the case that what I use are really cable restraints, but they sure as heck wouldn't be legal in WI, because I use non-relaxing locks and don't use break-away S-hooks, among other differences. As you stated in your comment on your other post, if you set snares in such a way that the animal's feet can't touch the ground, it will die, no argument from me there. But I've snared coons, skunks, possums, beavers, coyotes and fox, and in my experience, if the animal is snared in such a way that it doesn't get tangled up tightly in brush or hung up on something, it will not pull hard enough to strangulate itself, even if you use a non-relaxing lock like I do. Their instinct for self-preservation is just too strong. So I stand by what I said, modern snare technology is not inherently lethal, and saying that it is plays right into the hands of the antis who want to ban snares.

Comment

I left a comment on your other post charlie. I am familiar with those old-time sets, and I don't have a problem with them being illegal now. Too indiscriminant for me.

Comment

Wasn't trying to convince you snares always kill, just showing what I was talking about regarding the question; homemade natural traps that I've used successfully. These sets are good survival traps if modern stuff wasn't around and one needed to eat.
                          As I understand the ban on snares here- it was mainly driven by hunters who feared for the lives of their dogs. Same goes for the ban on large land set connibears. As a hunter who uses and cares about dogs I support these restrictions. Due to the multi-use of so many public properties just seems reasonable. Restrictions like these are much better than a total trapping ban. Which is what the antis and a good portion of hunters want.
                          I read a news report awhile back that 7 hunting dogs were killed by traps in MN during 2014 season; snares and connibears.
                          This might not be the best place to discuss all these nuances if you like we could continue on the message board. Young woodcockpro just wanted to know about successful homemade traps.

Comment

Okay charlie, point taken. We did kind of wander off topic didn't we? Lol
                            As far as I'm concerned, we've beaten the topic to death, and I suspect neither of us is going to change the other's opinion. I will just say that snares set in the open where the catch can't tangle up or hang up pose very little threat to dogs. The reason for that is that virtually all dogs are used to being chained up or on a leash, so when they find that they're caught, they just sit there and wait for someone to come for them. I've personally accidentally snared a couple of dogs (on private property where they were not supposed to be), and neither was harmed in the slightest.

Comment

I once caught a possum in a snare---long, long time ago---but the most effective homemade weapon I've ever used is a club---extremely effective on pit vipers. I'll be glad to reveal my secrets of making clubs if anyone is interested.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Right now
                                by fitch270
                                Yesterday, 10:45 PM
                              • Adjusting my O/U fit
                                by dewman
                                Dove season will be here before you know it. I know last year the early Teal season(September) was a one and done for me but I have a new shotgun, son...
                                Yesterday, 08:10 AM
                              • Ugggghhh
                                by fitch270
                                Didn’t have a chance to get pics because there wasn’t any shoulder to pull over onto, but saw a beaut of an 8pt laying dead just off the road today....
                                07-22-2021, 09:40 PM
                              • Score!!!!
                                by fitch270
                                Took my wife out tonight for her birthday at a Japanese restaurant out of town. Excellent meal. The place happens to be next door to our closest Walmart...
                                07-19-2021, 09:42 PM
                              • Weather conditions
                                by fitch270
                                My Rain songs thread on F&S led me to thinking about this.

One thing I’ve always enjoyed is still hunting in a steady drizzle with...
                                07-17-2021, 09:10 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X