Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The other night we lost power(no big deal), but it made me realize how bad all of the flashlights I own are. Does anyone know of any really good handheld flashlights worth investing in(no crazy amount though)? I often don't have time to do many cho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other night we lost power(no big deal), but it made me realize how bad all of the flashlights I own are. Does anyone know of any really good handheld flashlights worth investing in(no crazy amount though)? I often don't have time to do many cho

The other night we lost power(no big deal), but it made me realize how bad all of the flashlights I own are. Does anyone know of any really good handheld flashlights worth investing in(no crazy amount though)? I often don't have time to do many chores until its dark out, so something that would be bright enough to check on animals, etc. in the pitch black would be required(we usually have big street light type lights around the animals but when the power is out they don't help much). Or should I just buy a big bulky spotlight that has lots of power?

Hi...

I've got lots of flashlights throughout the house...and in my UTE...However, I've been thinking about the pen lights that I used to carry in my shirt pocket.

Then I ran across an ad for the Streamlight...liked what I saw on their site, and ordered their "Stylus Pro"...which takes only two AAA batteries...I must say I was MORE then pleased with the amount of light it put out...and it fits neatly in the 'notebook/pen' carrier in my shirt pocket...Actually the size of a pen light!!

A bit pricey, but I'm VERY well pleased with it. I've seen some 'standard' flashlights that didn't do as well...!!

NOTE: They carry a wide variety of other types of flashlights, too...!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
      Hi...

I've got lots of flashlights throughout the house...and in my UTE...However, I've been thinking about the pen lights that I used to carry in my shirt pocket.

Then I ran across an ad for the Streamlight...liked what I saw on their site, and ordered their "Stylus Pro"...which takes only two AAA batteries...I must say I was MORE then pleased with the amount of light it put out...and it fits neatly in the 'notebook/pen' carrier in my shirt pocket...Actually the size of a pen light!!

A bit pricey, but I'm VERY well pleased with it. I've seen some 'standard' flashlights that didn't do as well...!!

NOTE: They carry a wide variety of other types of flashlights, too...!!
      Thanks for the idea. How is the battery life?

Comment

This isn't a flashlight, but we recently got a Streamlight brand battery powered lantern and I am really pleased with it. It has several functions, is incredibly bright and seems really durable. I would give those a definite thumbs up.

Comment

As far as strictly flashlights go, I have had good luck with Surefire.

Comment

Additionally, being old fashion, I think everyone should own and have handy, a Coleman Lantern

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
              Additionally, being old fashion, I think everyone should own and have handy, a Coleman Lantern
              On the topic of old fashioned...we had an old railroad lantern(gas powered) going all night. May be old, but it definitely lit up the room. I agree lanterns are handy, but they are just a bit too bulky for my needs.

Comment

Have you looked at the LED's that hook on a baseball hat brim? They work good and have a lot of illumination with 4 or 5 LED's. Not sure how long the batteries last.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Have you looked at the LED's that hook on a baseball hat brim? They work good and have a lot of illumination with 4 or 5 LED's. Not sure how long the batteries last.
                  A lot of times I will wear a hat like that accompanied by a handheld flashlight. I have bad ADD, especially at night, so it allows me to look around without running into a fence or something.

Comment

I have a LED Maglite. It's very durable and puts out good light. The cost isn't bad either. My wife has the Mini Maglite LED in her purse. She's very happy with it too.

Comment

Get a Mag-Lite, they're the best flashlights on the market, IMO. They're almost indestructable, put out a lot of light, and have good battery life. Plus they're made in the USA. There are sizes for just about every use, from 2 AA penlights to huge 3 D models that could let you read a street sign from 200 yards away on a moonless night. I currently have a couple of the penlight sized ones, and they put out an amazing amount of light for their size.

Comment

I'm another Streamlight carrier. I carry the ProTac 2AAA version.
                        It's not ridiculously bright, only 80 lumens on high, but meets my three big requirements.

Can find them for well under $30.

Small enough that it's ALWAYS clipped in my left pocket.

The main reason I started looking for something with a bit more light in that size is checking on animals. Got very tired of letting raccoons and foxes at the chicken coop walk because from 60 yards I couldn't tell if those eyes were just one of the neighbor's cats, and as soon as you'd close the distance, they'd scatter. It's borderline at that distance, but it generally works.

Comment

Re thinking the question. The Streamlight is what's always in my pocket, but if you're looking for something "handheld", not "pocket sized" Tractor Supply carries Jobsmart brand flashlights in typical battery sizes mimicking pretty much the mag-light menu. I picked up a couple of the larger C and D ones because there were running under $15 in the store. Light output is up there in the 200 range and it shows. They really throw light. The ones I have are a slightly thin bodied corrugated steel I think. They're not the same material quality as a maglight, but they have decent battery life in a cheap light and I once ID'd a coyote out back with one at about 120 yards and through some light brush. It's a great low-budget light that really throws. It's only 60 or 70 yards from my door to the animal pens, and there is no lack of light with these budget flashlights.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                            Get a Mag-Lite, they're the best flashlights on the market, IMO. They're almost indestructable, put out a lot of light, and have good battery life. Plus they're made in the USA. There are sizes for just about every use, from 2 AA penlights to huge 3 D models that could let you read a street sign from 200 yards away on a moonless night. I currently have a couple of the penlight sized ones, and they put out an amazing amount of light for their size.
                            I have not had the same good experience with MagLites. I've owned three D-cell models and two AA-size, and every single one has had its bulb need replacing in an unacceptably short amount of time. They do put out the light, no doubt, but I got tired of carrying replacement bulbs and gave up on them.

Comment

My favorite light for searching in the night and turning the night into day is Princeton Tec League it's a dive light. Figured if it works well for underwater use it'd be great out of water and it is. Makes finding those late in day hit deer much easier. The light's ergonomics make it easy to hold while shooting handguns or rifles.
                              For working around yard with your animals you might consider a headlamp. They make those too and lights are light weight burn for 200 hours plus while lighting up your entire vision area. I have one and it works so well I no longer pack a lantern on camping trips.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Blade Stain
                                by jhjimbo
                                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                                Today, 11:40 AM
                              • Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X