Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the strangest thing you've ever witnessed in the outdoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    Thirty years ago my brother, a friend and I were walking around on the sunny side summit of Mount Tammany at the Delaware Water Gap. We were an hour away from our vehicle parked in the parking lot off of Route 80. It was during summer and we were looking for good tree stand location to hunt deer in the fall.

We were walking down the trail single file and I was In the back. I looked down and spotted a poisonous copperhead snake lying across the trail sunning himself, after the other two just walked over top of it. I yelled Copperhead and scared the snake. My brother turned around and saw it also as it crawl away down into the rocks.

I still can't believe they didn't step on the snake or why the snake didn't bite one of them. A Guardian Angel was with us that day.
    Gary
    I'm not partial to any snakes, but that is a particularly creepy-looking fellow.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
      I shot this Lesser Scaup with a green rubber band around its head in 1990. All we could figure is that he picked it up thinking it was edible, or along with a bill full of something that was. The rubber band was obviously keeping the duck from eating. I really don't know how it was able to fly, as it had very little muscle mass left.
      I don't know. I'd be more inclined to think (although I don't want to) that some sicko put the band on that duck somehow. I don't know how it would've gotten in that position by itself. Poor critter...

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        There was a big dead tree on our farm and I noticed something white through a small rotted out opening about 4 feet from the base of the tree so I pulled on a piece of bark to expose it. There were a ton of big bones(ribs, etc.) which I am guessing(hoping) were deer bones. No holes in the trunk(besides the very tiny rotted opening which allowed me to see the bones), but it was hollow and there was an opening about 15-20 feet up in the tree where it had fallen/broken in half. I was a young teenager at the time and didn't really think much of it until later on. I eventually went back out to look for it but I have never been able to find the tree again.
        If it was a very large tree it very well could have been where an eagles nest used to be or a branch was there that an eagle liked to perch on and eat it's meals. One of the strangest things I have seen in the woods was a deer leg hanging form a branch about 7 feet off the ground. It looked fresh and I didn't see any other foot prints in the snow around it which would rule out neighbors playing a trick on me. Most likely an eagle dropped part of it's winter kill meal as it was flying with it. I've seen hawks drop snakes as their flying.

Comment

The trophy whitetail I was after had outsmarted me all season long so on the last day I filled my tag with a decent size buck with a small set of antlers. When I set about gutting him, he/she was missing some necessary equipment to qualify as a buck. Having shot a doe without the necessary tag, I wondered if I was in trouble. When I checked with Fish and Wildlife I was told that it is a rare event but by no means a surprise to them. That came as a relief!

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
            The trophy whitetail I was after had outsmarted me all season long so on the last day I filled my tag with a decent size buck with a small set of antlers. When I set about gutting him, he/she was missing some necessary equipment to qualify as a buck. Having shot a doe without the necessary tag, I wondered if I was in trouble. When I checked with Fish and Wildlife I was told that it is a rare event but by no means a surprise to them. That came as a relief!
            When I first started turkey-hunting, I killed a bearded hen. She was big for a hen and the beard was almost nine inches long. Perfectly legal, but I still felt bad about it, especially since she was full of eggs. After another season or two of experience, the difference between hens and gobblers, beard or no beard, became easily noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
              There was a big dead tree on our farm and I noticed something white through a small rotted out opening about 4 feet from the base of the tree so I pulled on a piece of bark to expose it. There were a ton of big bones(ribs, etc.) which I am guessing(hoping) were deer bones. No holes in the trunk(besides the very tiny rotted opening which allowed me to see the bones), but it was hollow and there was an opening about 15-20 feet up in the tree where it had fallen/broken in half. I was a young teenager at the time and didn't really think much of it until later on. I eventually went back out to look for it but I have never been able to find the tree again.
              @MWK,
              I have seen an owl lift up a 5-10 pound feral cat, so I can imagine that a bald eagle or other large eagle could lift some bones, especially if their was not a whole lot of meat left on them at the time.

Comment

Outdoors might be a stretch. I saw a cormorant locked in a death struggle with 5 lb catfish once. It appeared that the bird had speared the catfish just behind the gills with a closed beak and was caught. I watched as the bird fought the fish to the surface and then was dragged back down repeatedly for many minutes until they drifted out of sight. Nothing to be done about it. Was in a channelized portion of the Schuylkill in Philly and no safe way to reach or help.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                  I'm not sure I can say definitively what the strangest thing I've ever seen is, but definitely one of the strangest happened just this past fall. I was fall turkey hunting on a piece of public land in late November when I saw another hunter's stand. I went over to take a closer look at it to see what kind of a setup they had, and when I walked up I saw a big 11 point buck laying dead not 15 yards from the stand. My first thought was that they must've just shot the deer had hadn't dragged it out yet, even though I hadn't seen a soul around. But then my brain caught up with my eyes and I realized that the deer was partially covered with snow that had fallen a week before, so I knew that scenario was out. Upon closer inspection I concluded that it must've died after being hit by a vehicle on one of the the nearby roads, because there were no visible arrow or bullet wounds, one hind leg was broken, and the rack had several freshly-chipped tines. Finding a big buck dead in and of itself wasn't that unusual, but finding one that had died from a car collision within spitting distance of another hunter's treestand was definitely incongruous.
                  The year was 2006 I think and I had an Archery Tag that allowed me to take either a white-tailed deer or a mule deer. I had settled into the treestand just thinking about the big white-tailed deer that could come by at any time. About an hour later, I look to my right to see this big-bodied, 2.5 year-old mule deer walking up the draw to my location. I yelled for it to stop to no avail but had a good sight on it and let the arrow fly, sticking the buck. The buck acted surprised and stotted over to my stand, let out a bleat, and then fell over. All of this was very surreal, because it was my first mature arrowed, and was just down the hill from an old Indian burial ground. The entire hunt was very memorable.

Another strange one was when this female coyote trotted in right under my treestand just after I climbed up and sat down. She milled around under me for about a minute and then went over to my mock scrape and urinated in the scrape, and then disappeared in the brush.

Comment

about 30 years ago we were at our camp in Westline,Pa.for fall turkey. I over did it a tad the night before so I wasn't a happy camper. So I decided to try to take a nap in the woods. Well it was cold and after I had found a nice depression to stretch out in it started to snow. I was dressed warm enough but snow kept hitting my face so a put a large paper towel over it. Wasn't there too long when I heard the leaves rustling, thinking turkey coming. But then I could hear the heavy breathing so now I am thinking coyote or bear. I couldn't see anything because of my "mask" !!! Whatever it was stopped basically a foot or so away.My gun was laying across my lap so I just stood up as fast as I could and a very nice 6pt buck was staring me in the face. I would like to be able to compare the looks on our faces, but I now that was the fasted I ever saw a deep run. Quite the experience.

Comment

Hi...

Actually, I've seen several 'strange' and/or unusual things while I was afield.

1) One day my trapping partner was examining a den under some ledges and boulders, when suddenly 'something' began to growl and started to come out of the den. My partner was so scared that he ran away from the den yelling like a little girl...!! Well, the varmint was a porcupine...!! Did I ever let him forget that...?? You can make a guess...!!

2) When trout fishing in a small stream, I found myself between the stream and a muskrat, which the muskrat didn't like at all. It actually charged me, and I had to fend it off with my fishing pole before it finally ran back to the stream...!!

3) When I finished placing traps for beaver on opening day, on the return trip out of the area, one of the traps had already taken a beaver, which was dead in the Conibear 330...!! (try explaining that one to the Game Warden...!!).

Comment

I was deer hunting late Novmeber 1 year out of my treestand. I had on my hunter orange, like I was supposed to, but believe it or not, a feller walked right up on my stand & proceeded to sit his butt down right below me as if he didnt even know i was there. i gave 'em a quick "YO!" and he took off. His trouncing through the woods stirred up a nice doe for me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget