Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your State have drawings for big game species? What State are you in and what species have drawings? What are your chances of being drawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your State have drawings for big game species? What State are you in and what species have drawings? What are your chances of being drawn?

Does your State have drawings for big game species? What State are you in and what species have drawings? What are your chances of being drawn?

In Iowa, there are no drawings for residents. We do have a draw system for nonresident deer and turkey tags. I'm not sure on the exact odds of drawing a deer tag, but I know that it's low the first time or two. I don't know about turkey, but I would guess that the odds are somewhat better.

Comment

The only drawings in Missouri(that I know of) are for highly populated population control hunts. I've only known one person that was given a tag for one of these hunts...it was on a golf course. Years ago when the population went bad you had to enter a drawing for a doe tag, but from what I have been told it was basically a guarantee.

Comment

Maine. We have drawings for Moose. Just south of 4,000 were issued last year(10% slotted for non-residents). It's a point based system so each year you apply and aren't drawn your chance for the next year increases. If you are selected you cannot be pulled for a three year period. The state will assign you a bull or cow permit during a one week portion of the season for a specific wildlife management district (WMD).

There is also a drawing for "any-deer" permits which allows you to harvest a doe within an assigned WMD.

Comment

Here in Pa the only drawings I know about are for elk and doe tags, but if you send in during the first drawing for doe tags you're almost guaranteed to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            In Iowa, there are no drawings for residents. We do have a draw system for nonresident deer and turkey tags. I'm not sure on the exact odds of drawing a deer tag, but I know that it's low the first time or two. I don't know about turkey, but I would guess that the odds are somewhat better.
            Montana. All moose, sheep, mountain goat, and antelope tags are distributed by draw, along with the best elk tags. Deer is more or less over the counter - there are some really good draw units for big bucks - and nonresidents get 10 percent of any quota. I'll be in for moose, sheep, goat, elk, and antelope.

Comment

Montana. All moose, sheep, mountain goat, and antelope tags are distributed by draw, along with the best elk tags. Deer is more or less over the counter - there are some really good draw units for big bucks - and nonresidents get 10 percent of any quota. I'll be in for moose, sheep, goat, elk, and antelope.

Comment

To add to PA huntertrapper's post re elk, the last year I can find the total number of applicants for the elk draw was the Fall 2013 drawing in which 86 tags were awarded amongst 23,000 applicants.
                There were just over a hundred tags issued in 2014, but I can't find the number of applicants.

In '13 the odds were 1:267, but put that into perspective, it's a small percentage of PA deer hunters who even consider applying for elk.

Clarification on the Anterless Permits. That's not a true drawing. They are first come first serve by Unit until they run out. With set dates for the first couple of rounds of award (ie, one hunter can only put one application in the first deadline, then again for unsold permits on subsequent dates).
                After that, depending on unit, the special regs counties will hand them over the counter at the courthouse.

Comment

In Ohio most all general hunting tags are over the counter. There are some special hunts like WMA and Military Reservations that are draw, and they also have some that are limited to youth hunters.

Comment

Here in Colorado, all animals are on the draw system. Some animals are much harder to draw than others, especially for non-residents. We do have one species that you can buy an Over-The-Counter tag for, which is elk. In our 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, a hunter may buy an OTC tag for a bull elk. Mind you these tags are not state wide. These units are often very crowded during these two seasons. Despite the draw and the over the counter tags, if you do your research there are plenty of units with quality "trophies" that take few to no preference points, even for non-residents.

Our species in Colorado include:
                    Elk
                    Mule Deer
                    White-tail Deer
                    Antelope
                    Mountain Lion
                    Mountain Goat
                    Rocky Mountain Big Horn
                    Desert Big Horn
                    Bear

Comment

In Alabama, we have a draw system only for Alligators.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                        The only drawings in Missouri(that I know of) are for highly populated population control hunts. I've only known one person that was given a tag for one of these hunts...it was on a golf course. Years ago when the population went bad you had to enter a drawing for a doe tag, but from what I have been told it was basically a guarantee.
                        One of our State parks uses a draw for deer. Archery only

Comment

Originally posted by _TD View Post
                          Maine. We have drawings for Moose. Just south of 4,000 were issued last year(10% slotted for non-residents). It's a point based system so each year you apply and aren't drawn your chance for the next year increases. If you are selected you cannot be pulled for a three year period. The state will assign you a bull or cow permit during a one week portion of the season for a specific wildlife management district (WMD).

There is also a drawing for "any-deer" permits which allows you to harvest a doe within an assigned WMD.
                          Thanks for the info. I'd like to hunt Moose in Maine

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                            In Alabama, we have a draw system only for Alligators.
                            Forgot to mention that sometimes there's a draw for doe tags on selected days at my favorite WMA

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget