Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What state would allow a hunter to hunt for the most(different types) of animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    Perhaps Alaska?
    AK is a great state to hunt, a true adventure for sure. Due to the harsh climate it has some unique game all its own. Not sure it would in top of most different. They require NR to hire a guide for goats, sheep, brown bear which makes those hunts very expensive.

Comment

Has to be a State with all kinds of environment and geography with a wide variety of game animals. So my guess would be Alaska. What other State has a Polar Bear?
      I know non-resident need guides but don't know how the regulations are for residents.

Comment

Let's try this again.

I don't know the answer overall, here in PA the combined total of Big Game, Small Game, upland birds, and furbearers seems to come to 21.
        That doesn't count any waterfowl or animals that can be trapped only.

It does include elk, which has an extremely limited lottery, and the bottom of the barrel on that list gets down to crows, possum, and skunks.

Comment

It can't be New York, but as I thought about it, I was kind of struck at just how long New York's list actually is:
          WILD TURKEY!
          Whitetail deer
          Black bear
          Snowshoe hare
          Cottontail rabbit
          Pheasant
          Ruffed grouse
          Woodcock
          Bobwhite quail
          Gray squirrel
          Fox squirrel
          Coyote
          Red Fox
          Grey Fox
          Bobcat
          Crow
          Snipe
          Gallinules
          Coot
          Rail
          Raccoon
          Possum
          Skunk
          Weasel
          Mink
          Muskrat
          Woodchuck
          Canada geese
          Various kinds of ducks
          Snapping turtles
          Frogs
          ... We have moose in the Adirondacks but not enough yet to warrant a hunting season.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            Not my home state of Iowa, that's for sure. Lol
            I'm just guessing, but I would say one of the western states. Montana maybe?
            And where might those pockets of "fabulous pheasant hunting" be located charlie? Just kidding of course, but in all seriousness, I haven't shot a pheasant in years. Just haven't put in the time due to other outdoor interests and a lack of birds. I did go out a little this year, but didn't see much.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Has to be a State with all kinds of environment and geography with a wide variety of game animals. So my guess would be Alaska. What other State has a Polar Bear?
              I know non-resident need guides but don't know how the regulations are for residents.
              Costs aside it does seem to me that Alaska is the correct answer, but I am not positive. Can you even hunt polar bears? I don't think I would want to even if I could for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                It can't be New York, but as I thought about it, I was kind of struck at just how long New York's list actually is:
                WILD TURKEY!
                Whitetail deer
                Black bear
                Snowshoe hare
                Cottontail rabbit
                Pheasant
                Ruffed grouse
                Woodcock
                Bobwhite quail
                Gray squirrel
                Fox squirrel
                Coyote
                Red Fox
                Grey Fox
                Bobcat
                Crow
                Snipe
                Gallinules
                Coot
                Rail
                Raccoon
                Possum
                Skunk
                Weasel
                Mink
                Muskrat
                Woodchuck
                Canada geese
                Various kinds of ducks
                Snapping turtles
                Frogs
                ... We have moose in the Adirondacks but not enough yet to warrant a hunting season.
                Thank you for the full list. I never would have imagined that New York had that many animals. For the majority of my life growing up I was under the impression that New York was all city(now I know it's not), but in recent years it seems like they have been killing big deer, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  Let's try this again.

I don't know the answer overall, here in PA the combined total of Big Game, Small Game, upland birds, and furbearers seems to come to 21.

It does include elk, which has an extremely limited lottery, and the bottom of the barrel on that list gets down to crows, possum, and skunks.
                  I know a guy that exclusively hunts crows. He will shoot squirrels to lure them in, but he finds deer hunting BORING. Didn't know PA had a lottery for elk...do you enter it?

Comment

So you can say that MO started your (obsession) with turkey hunting? Funny since MO used to be in the same situation and needed the turkeys to be transplanted into the state.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      Seems like Alaska would be right in there also. Several types of bears and all kinds of ungulates. Waterfowl and upland game. Could be it.

Comment

The location of those pheasant pockets will not be discussed on a forum of any sort let alone a national one. You might be missing out hft. Kick up a few nice bucks too.
                        Yes JM, MO played a large role in starting my serious turkey hunting in more ways than hunting. As a teenager my FFA project had me involved trapping grouse in MN and then traveling to MO to exchange those grouse for turkeys. Which we drove back to Houston, MN to release those turkeys. So if you shoot a grouse in Kirksville, MO area it just might be a descendent of some transplanted MN grouse from nearly a half century ago, delivered by a small group of MN kids with freshly minted drivers licenses.

Comment

WILD TURKEY!
                          Whitetail deer
                          Black bear
                          Snowshoe hare
                          Cottontail rabbit
                          Pheasant
                          Ruffed grouse
                          Woodcock
                          Bobwhite quail
                          Gray squirrel
                          Fox squirrel
                          Coyote
                          Red Fox
                          Grey Fox
                          Bobcat
                          Crow
                          Snipe
                          Gallinules
                          Coot
                          Rail
                          Raccoon
                          Possum
                          Skunk
                          Weasel
                          Mink
                          Muskrat
                          Woodchuck
                          Canada geese
                          Various kinds of ducks
                          Snapping turtles
                          Frogs
                          Looks like you missed wild turkeys. NY is one of the leading turkey dog destinations.

Comment

That's pretty cool. Our farm is about a 30 minute/mile drive to Kirksville, so maybe I have already seen a direct descendant.

Comment

WILD TURKEY!
                              Whitetail deer
                              Black bear
                              Snowshoe hare
                              Cottontail rabbit
                              Pheasant
                              Ruffed grouse
                              Woodcock
                              Bobwhite quail
                              Gray squirrel
                              Fox squirrel
                              Coyote
                              Red Fox
                              Grey Fox
                              Bobcat
                              Crow
                              Snipe
                              Gallinules
                              Coot
                              Rail
                              Raccoon
                              Possum
                              Skunk
                              Weasel
                              Mink
                              Muskrat
                              Woodchuck
                              Canada geese
                              Various kinds of ducks
                              Snapping turtles
                              Frogs
                              And as a turkey hunter, I am utterly ashamed. You know, I sat there looking at that list for ten minutes, saying, "Now I know I'm forgetting something pretty obvious, what could it be?" Maybe it was a subconscious thing; one of my co-workers and I were just talking about the drop-off in our local turkey populations over the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                                Let's try this again.

I haven't. I'm just starting to consider it. It's a lightning strike. 1.4 million hunters in state. 105 permits this year, and out of state can apply.
                                I know guys who've been applying for decades now just to build the preference points. Until recently, I wasn't sure I'd be able to take advantage even if I ran.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Leupold screwed me
                                  by dewman
                                  had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                  Today, 09:57 AM
                                • The TGIF Buck
                                  by fitch270
                                  First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. Iโ€™m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                  11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                                • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                  11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
                                • Life is good!
                                  by dewman
                                  .......... in fact, it's downright delicious! ๐ŸฆŒ=๐Ÿ”+๐ŸŒฎ+๐Ÿบor๐Ÿท๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ ...
                                  11-22-2021, 07:29 PM
                                • Ghosts
                                  by fitch270
                                  Not really survival related but I wanted to mention this separate from todayโ€™s hunting report.

Having the hill to myself today had me...
                                  11-21-2021, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X