Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What state would allow a hunter to hunt for the most(different types) of animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What state would allow a hunter to hunt for the most(different types) of animals?

What state would allow a hunter to hunt for the most(different types) of animals?

Probably Michigan, we can hunt any game animal but doves and the animals out west(mule deer and antelope).

Comment

Not my home state of Iowa, that's for sure. Lol
      I'm just guessing, but I would say one of the western states. Montana maybe?

Comment

My first thought is Colorado. They've got all the big game and a lot of good water fowling and upland opportunities. However, a lot of it is a draw system.

Comment

Originally posted by woodcockpro View Post
          Probably Michigan, we can hunt any game animal but doves and the animals out west(mule deer and antelope).
          I just checked out your pictures and understand why you call yourself woodcockpro. Left you some comments there. Good job with that 410. That was my first shotgun too. Good hunting.

Comment

I would have to say Texas. Given the wide variety of exotics that they raise for hunting on private ranches along with native game and varmints. Then you throw in waterfowl, two varieties of doves, and other game birds. JM, do you know the answer?

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
              I would have to say Texas. Given the wide variety of exotics that they raise for hunting on private ranches along with native game and varmints. Then you throw in waterfowl, two varieties of doves, and other game birds. JM, do you know the answer?
              I have no idea. I've been trying to find the correct answer without any luck. Your mention of private ranches kind of throws a wrench into the equation. I almost don't want to count that since states do not provide a tag/license to hunt for them.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                Yeah, I think it's safe to assume MO and IA are out of the question hah. Montana was my first guess, but I have a feeling it isn't the correct answer now.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                  My first thought is Colorado. They've got all the big game and a lot of good water fowling and upland opportunities. However, a lot of it is a draw system.
                  Colorado isn't one that originally came to my mind. This question seems to be a bit harder to answer with complete confidence than I thought.

Comment

Perhaps Alaska?

Comment

There is a permit you need to have to hunt exotics on private ranches. But If you throw out the exotics I still wonder if Texas wouldn't still be the top few. Hard to say I guess.

Comment

I'm sure an ambitious person with plenty of time on their hands could find the exact answer just by reading the hunting regulations for every state, but I'm not that ambitious and I don't have that much time. Lol

Comment

I hadn't thought of TX, which could be if you count the exotics. So many hunters hate the fenced hunts, although in TX those fences run for miles. I've only hunted turkeys there on public land at the north end. In no hurt to go back even though we got our Rios. Virtually everything requires lease payments or trophy fees.

Comment

CO popped into my mind right away because of familiarity I've hunted there several times. Lots of high quality public land, OTC tags, has the largest elk population in the nation, antelope, whitetail and mule deer, cougar, in addition there's sheep, goats, bear, moose. All the upland birds, waterfowl, and dove. Don't think there's woodcock or ruffed grouse. All kinds of small game and predator available. I going there on a river turkey hunt this spring. Some things are a draw with preference points and I finally have enough points to draw that turkey tag.
                            The regs in most states are long and complex so I only read the ones where I plan to hunt, when I'm going to hunt. Interesting question JM.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                              Yeah but, IA has some pockets of fabulous pheasant hunting and it's close to WI.
                              Only hunted turkey in MO, shot my very first gobbler there about 35 years ago when there were none in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                                by fitch270
                                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                                Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                              • Grips and stocks
                                by dewman
                                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                                Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                              • Youth pheasant hike
                                by fitch270
                                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X