Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good stories from this years hunting seasons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    My Ohio gun season was a bust. The weather was wet and a gas well was being drilled 24 hours a day. Diesel engines, banging, air horns, big trucks,you name it. That probably had an affect on the deer.
    Then my generator had issues. A week of wasted time. The bright spot is archery opens again and runs into Feb so maybe I can still tag one. I hate tag soup, no flavor at all.
    Looks pretty thick there Jimbo!

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
      Not really a good story, but still a story. There was a deer that I had several encounters with during bow season and I got dozens of pictures of him. He was young and small, so I figured I would let him go to grow a bit. The shotgun season opened in Iowa this weekend and he was the first deer the neighbor's group killed Saturday. I still don't regret not shooting him, but I sure would have liked to have had the chance to see him again next year.
      Yep, I would have passed on that one too and hoped to see him next season

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        @JHP,
        I know that feeling. One year during gun season a neighbor thought it was a good time to run around and cut down every tree he saw with his new chainsaw(obviously a bit of an embellishment). You were just making sure all the bucks finished breeding before you got them in the late season.
        @4everAutumn,
        My philosophy is that if it is legal I don't care what you shoot. I have passed bucks that I personally thought were too small, and had someone hunting on our farm or neighboring farm shoot him 5 minutes later. I saw an absolute giant during gun season and no one I have talked to on neighboring land killed him.
        My favorite public land now has antler restrictions - 3 point on a side or better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
          My New Jersey bear hunting friend never bagged a bear so I took him deep in the woods back to my hot-spot-honey-hole. We put up a lock on tree stand with climbing sticks on a high knoll with a swamp on each side.

On opening day morning I heard "bang" and the text message said "got one". He then called me on the cell phone and said he shot a bear that ran down the hill toward the swamp. I told him to stay in your tree stand, I will be over and we can track the bear, together. The bear was dead at the bottom of the hill. Perfect shot with a shotgun copper sabot slug.
          Gary, did you ask for his permission before posting his picture on the web? If you didn't then shame on you

Comment

Our deer hunting season goes until early February. One January 2015 morning, I killed two large pigs and a deer within the first two hours. It was a fun day! (but a lot of work)
            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Blade Stain
              by jhjimbo
              Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
              Today, 11:40 AM
            • Home Defense
              by jhjimbo
              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
              10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
            • Pay it forward
              by fitch270
              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
            • Reloading Gear Order
              by fitch270
              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
              by dewman
              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X