Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good stories from this years hunting seasons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good stories from this years hunting seasons?

Any good stories from this years hunting seasons?

I never got the buck I saw earlier on the season, but today I killed a doe. A group of three ran in on me and I shot her at around 20 yards(give or take 5). Of the three she was the smallest, but she was in front and gave me the shot. All field dressed out she weighed 162 pounds at the house(tenderloins removed as well). Likely pushed 200 pounds when she was alive. Now I am just wondering how much the other two weighed!

Comment

That's a heck of a doe JM. The biggest doe anyone in my family has shot was one one of my brothers got when I was a little kid. We didn't have a scale at that time, but we got 80 pounds of meat, plus a 5-gallon bucket full of fat that we trimmed off. She had to have been well over 200 pounds on the hoof. She only had a handful of teeth left too, so she must've been ancient.
      - I had some very strange hunts during bow season this year, which is probably why it's my most memorable season ever to date. Early in the year I had a shooter buck coming in, and he was only a few steps from entering my shooting lane, when he bedded down at 30 yards. I've never had a big buck bed down that close to me before, and there was nothing I could do but stand there helplessly until dark (it was an evening hunt), because he was behind brush.
      - I also watched another hunter shoot a buck I had passed earlier in the morning, which is not something you expect in the usually-solitary sport of bowhunting. I didn't actually see the initial shot (his stand was several hundred yards away out of sight, and in fact I didn't even know he was there), but about mid-morning I looked behind me and there was a decent 8-pointer that had come by me maybe an hour before standing about 150 yards away all hunched up, obviously hurt. Right after I saw him he bedded down, and maybe 15 minutes later here came the hunter, tracking the deer. Honestly, the guy was kind of an idiot for following it that quickly when he had made a marginal shot, but thankfully the buck was in pretty bad shape by that time, and he was able to stalk up from behind and put a finishing arrow in it without the buck getting up and running off. It was like watching a free hunting video, through binoculars. I would love to know how he got it out of there, because I was hunting down in a huge valley, over a mile from the parking lot. If I had shot a deer down there I would've quarted it up and packed it out western-style, but he field-dressed it like he was intending to drag it out.

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
        A friend of mine claims to of had a buck in his scope when another hunter shot it when he was on public land. I am in better shape than most, but I find myself hunting closer and closer to the house each passing year. I can drag deer a long way, but the next day it is not worth it(whole body in pain). Plain and simple. Hopefully he had a friend come and help him or something. I recently read a story about a man in his 30s who dragged a deer to his house and dropped over dead due to over working himself. I can't remember exactly where I read it though.

Comment

I wish I had a good story to tell, but I have not yet taken a gun into the woods this season which opened over two weeks ago. ---Due to circumstances over which I have no control. It will get better since our season lasts until mid February with the last part the best.

Talking about other hunters shooting your deer, many years ago I was on a drive and heard the stander next to me shoot. A few minutes later, several does appeared followed by a nice eight-point. Just as I got my gun on him, he fell down and died from being shot by the other guy. I could have fired off a round and claimed the deer, but there ain't no glory in that, and I didn't need the meat (all deer killed were divided up among all standers anyhow.).

Better days ahead.

Every day's a holiday and every meal's a banquet.

Comment

@JM, I don't like dragging deer either, but I actually find myself hunting farther and farther from my vehicle every year. Part of it is that the hunting is usually better, especially on public land where I do a lot of my bowhunting, and part of it is that I just like the peace and quiet of being as far as possible from traffic noise, farm machinery, people yelling, dogs barking, etc.
            Have you ever tried boning out a deer in the field and packing the meat out? We did that with a buck my brother shot this year, and it worked great. He shot it almost a mile from the vehicle, and on the other side of a big valley, so it would've been a brutal drag. We took the quarters off, then cut the rest off the meat off the bone, so we really didn't leave much behind that we would've gotten by butchering it normally, no more than a few hamburgers' worth I'm sure. My pack weighed 55 pounds, and his was a bit more, but the walk out wasn't bad at all. Of course, we're both big guys, and pretty athletic, so for someone of smaller stature this might not be as good of an option.
            I definitely would not have tried dragging a deer out of the spot where I saw the guy shoot that buck, even with help, so I'll have to go back sometime and see if there's a carcass, or if he really did take the whole thing out.

Comment

@pineywoods,
              Best of luck later in the year. Love the line at the end. I'll have to write that one down for later.
              @huntfishtrap,
              There are spots we can hunt that are probably a solid 2 miles from any road we have access to, which I believe is pretty darn rare for my state. And I am talking almost solid woods aside from a few small fields here and there. No ATV access. One year a friend of mine killed a buck during archery season. The stand he killed it out of is named the PITA stand since its such a long walk(we now call it the peta stand since so many deer have been killed out of it). He had a bad shot so he walked home to get me. For the heck of it we brought a tent with us and decided we'd just camp out if we found it. We really had nothing better to do so we basically boned out the entire thing while in the tent and carried it home the next day. This was back when we were both pre-teens.

Comment

My Ohio gun season was a bust. The weather was wet and a gas well was being drilled 24 hours a day. Diesel engines, banging, air horns, big trucks,you name it. That probably had an affect on the deer.
                Then my generator had issues. A week of wasted time. The bright spot is archery opens again and runs into Feb so maybe I can still tag one. I hate tag soup, no flavor at all.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not really a good story, but still a story. There was a deer that I had several encounters with during bow season and I got dozens of pictures of him. He was young and small, so I figured I would let him go to grow a bit. The shotgun season opened in Iowa this weekend and he was the first deer the neighbor's group killed Saturday. I still don't regret not shooting him, but I sure would have liked to have had the chance to see him again next year.
                  Attached Files

Comment

@JHP,
                    I know that feeling. One year during gun season a neighbor thought it was a good time to run around and cut down every tree he saw with his new chainsaw(obviously a bit of an embellishment). You were just making sure all the bucks finished breeding before you got them in the late season.
                    @4everAutumn,
                    My philosophy is that if it is legal I don't care what you shoot. I have passed bucks that I personally thought were too small, and had someone hunting on our farm or neighboring farm shoot him 5 minutes later. I saw an absolute giant during gun season and no one I have talked to on neighboring land killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                      I never got the buck I saw earlier on the season, but today I killed a doe. A group of three ran in on me and I shot her at around 20 yards(give or take 5). Of the three she was the smallest, but she was in front and gave me the shot. All field dressed out she weighed 162 pounds at the house(tenderloins removed as well). Likely pushed 200 pounds when she was alive. Now I am just wondering how much the other two weighed!
                      Hunting black bucks in India is banned and it is like a offence but most of the people in Africa hunt animals to survive. I read that fact in so many books and also do some research on it. <a href="http://www.de.textsave.org/Rusb">SEO experts services</a>

Comment

My New Jersey bear hunting friend never bagged a bear so I took him deep in the woods back to my hot-spot-honey-hole. We put up a lock on tree stand with climbing sticks on a high knoll with a swamp on each side.

On opening day morning I heard "bang" and the text message said "got one". He then called me on the cell phone and said he shot a bear that ran down the hill toward the swamp. I told him to stay in your tree stand, I will be over and we can track the bear, together. The bear was dead at the bottom of the hill. Perfect shot with a shotgun copper sabot slug.
                        Attached Files

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
                          A friend of mine claims to of had a buck in his scope when another hunter shot it when he was on public land. I am in better shape than most, but I find myself hunting closer and closer to the house each passing year. I can drag deer a long way, but the next day it is not worth it(whole body in pain). Plain and simple. Hopefully he had a friend come and help him or something. I recently read a story about a man in his 30s who dragged a deer to his house and dropped over dead due to over working himself. I can't remember exactly where I read it though.
                          Use a two-wheel game cart and take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                            I wish I had a good story to tell, but I have not yet taken a gun into the woods this season which opened over two weeks ago. ---Due to circumstances over which I have no control. It will get better since our season lasts until mid February with the last part the best.

Talking about other hunters shooting your deer, many years ago I was on a drive and heard the stander next to me shoot. A few minutes later, several does appeared followed by a nice eight-point. Just as I got my gun on him, he fell down and died from being shot by the other guy. I could have fired off a round and claimed the deer, but there ain't no glory in that, and I didn't need the meat (all deer killed were divided up among all standers anyhow.).

Better days ahead.

Every day's a holiday and every meal's a banquet.
                            You know Country Road, you have a very good saying there! You must be a born optimist!

Comment

@pineywoods,
                              Best of luck later in the year. Love the line at the end. I'll have to write that one down for later.
                              @huntfishtrap,
                              There are spots we can hunt that are probably a solid 2 miles from any road we have access to, which I believe is pretty darn rare for my state. And I am talking almost solid woods aside from a few small fields here and there. No ATV access. One year a friend of mine killed a buck during archery season. The stand he killed it out of is named the PITA stand since its such a long walk(we now call it the peta stand since so many deer have been killed out of it). He had a bad shot so he walked home to get me. For the heck of it we brought a tent with us and decided we'd just camp out if we found it. We really had nothing better to do so we basically boned out the entire thing while in the tent and carried it home the next day. This was back when we were both pre-teens.
                              Two miles in is the farthest I go. That's when I pull the game cart in and stash it before I get to my hunting spot. That way it's available if I shoot a deer. Pigs are boned out, deer are carried out with just the guts removed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                Today, 02:17 PM
                              • bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X