Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good tips for staying warm and alert while hunting in cold weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    As soon as I figure it out myself I will let you know JM. Lol
    In all seriousness, I've been running into problems with the record cold we're having up here in Iowa while bowhunting the last few days. There's a limit to how many clothes you can wear and still draw/shoot a bow accurately, and I've been right on that line for the last several hunts, and it still hasn't been enough. I can take temperatures in the 20s and windy, or teens and calm, for about 3 hours, but then I start to get so cold I have to head back to the vehicle. When it's teens and windy, like it has been for the last couple of days, I don't even hunt.
    In the late gun seasons, I can wear more clothes, and can usually stay warm for a half a day or more, unless the weather is truly arctic. The key is keeping your head, hands and feet warm, because they are where you lose heat the fastest. When gun hunting I wear a thick wool face mask/balaclava along with a heavy knit watch cap, boots with 1000 grams of Thinsulate, and insulated mittens.
    Iowa has been tough the last month or so. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that says "enough is enough" on some days and stays home. I'm not as young as I used to be I guess.

Comment

Don't be afraid to build a small fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
        Hi...

You'll need clothing that INSULATES...IS WINDPROOF...and BREATHABLE...!! And depending on the season...waterproof...!!

You can dress in layers...and/or have a good top layer of 'Woolrich-type clothing over fewer layers.

Depending on where I am, I may wear a snowmobile suit, with a vest underneath.

Boots, hat and gloves MUST be able to keep you warm warm, also...because if these areas get cold...your whole body can easily chill...!!

'Layering' should start from the feet up, depending on the exterior temp's.

NOTE: ALWAYS dress for the outside...even if you're only going to the nearby convenience store for milk...!! (If your car breaks down then, stalls in drifts, etc.,you'll be dressed for the occasion)...!!
        Hi, DSMbirddog...

Thank you for your concern...Actually, I've gotten so 'addicted' to some other forums...I completely spaced out Outdoor Life...You'll probably be hearing from me more often now...!!

BOB

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
          I have no problem keeping my body warm, but my hands and feet are always cold. I have an insulated muff for my hands that I put hand warmer packets in and I just keep my hands in it until I need to shoot. If it's really cold, I just put a couple more hand warmers in. I also have insulated boot blankets for my feet. They are basically over-sized cloth boots that slip over your normal footwear. I put hand warmer packets inside the boot blankets on the outside of my boots and they keep my feet warm in just about any temp. As soon as I get cold, the hunt is pretty much over because I start paying more attention to that and less to what I should be.
          I've use both the muffs and the boot blankets. Kody, that made me cold just to read your response! But great advice

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            UnderArmor long jons, ArcticShield Booties, Hand Muffler, Wool scarf, Balacalva if really cold, Filson Double Mackinaw parka, Filson vest,
            Carhartt camo pants or Filson bibs if really cold. Gloves are ArcticShield. I use dry handwarmers and also some Jon-E. Usually good down to 10 deg. or lower. Colder than that and I am back to camp
            sipping some Ancient Age.
            I forgot to add I use this heater. I start it at camp and take it on the 4 wheeler. I also take some extra charcoal so it will run all day. It has a lid to transporting and the outside stays cool.
            The company also sells a wool parka to have the heater right insise for extreme cold.
            http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/charheat-heater?a=403594
            Jimbo, I remember you mentioning that charcoal heater in another post. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
              @4everAutumn,
              The only problems I ever have is keeping my ears and nose warm, and keeping my eyes/contacts from drying out when it's cold. I invested in a really good pair of boots(totally worth it), and I keep my hands tucked anywhere it is warm. I just figured this was a good question to ask since most states are hosting/are about to open up many hunting seasons. Layers, layers, and more layers....
              @JHP,
              I hate having anything at all that restricts my hearing, so any type of mask is a no-no for me. Sometimes I have trouble keeping still, so hearing is very important for me. Ironic part is that my ears get cold before anything else haha.
              Both of you guys give good advice. Using energy bars has helped me maintain focus. Cutting hearing holes in the balaclava is something I've never seen anyone do. But it makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBum101 View Post
                Depending on where I'm hunting my late season, I usually set up my ground blind. It traps heat and protects from snow and rain and those bone chilling breezes that blow through when you think you can't get any colder. It also covers any movement inside, whether I'm putting on more clothes or killing time on my phone. A blind definitely helps during colder seasons.
                I've used a pup-up blind like that too. In windy conditions, long tent stakes help to anchor it. Then I pile leaves around the bottom edge to help keep out the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBum101 View Post
                  Depending on where I'm hunting my late season, I usually set up my ground blind. It traps heat and protects from snow and rain and those bone chilling breezes that blow through when you think you can't get any colder. It also covers any movement inside, whether I'm putting on more clothes or killing time on my phone. A blind definitely helps during colder seasons.
                  I've used a pup-up blind like that too. In windy conditions, long tent stakes help to anchor it. Then I pile leaves around the bottom edge to help keep out the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                    Y'all make me real happy that I'm hunting in Lower Alabama. We still have a few days with temps in the 20's and occasionally in the teens. One of the main things I can advise you on is not to get old. Every year, my tolerance for the cold gets weaker to the point that I have to make a sincere commitment to going out there in the frigid.
                    Country Road, you know I'm only about 100 miles north of you so within 5 degF most of the time. Like you, I'm starting to avoid hunting on the coldest days.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                      Don't be afraid to build a small fire!
                      Please, don't get 6P started!

Comment

Like others have said, I use layers, including head, face, and hands. Alabama winters don't get as cold as some other spots of the country but that doesn't me it's warm either!

Most of the time I wear fingerless gloves and just keep my hands in pockets while sitting still. You will see more deer if you are warm enough not to fidget.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Blade Stain
                          by jhjimbo
                          Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                          Today, 11:40 AM
                        • Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X