Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good tips for staying warm and alert while hunting in cold weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good tips for staying warm and alert while hunting in cold weather?

Any good tips for staying warm and alert while hunting in cold weather?

I have no problem keeping my body warm, but my hands and feet are always cold. I have an insulated muff for my hands that I put hand warmer packets in and I just keep my hands in it until I need to shoot. If it's really cold, I just put a couple more hand warmers in. I also have insulated boot blankets for my feet. They are basically over-sized cloth boots that slip over your normal footwear. I put hand warmer packets inside the boot blankets on the outside of my boots and they keep my feet warm in just about any temp. As soon as I get cold, the hunt is pretty much over because I start paying more attention to that and less to what I should be.

Comment

UnderArmor long jons, ArcticShield Booties, Hand Muffler, Wool scarf, Balacalva if really cold, Filson Double Mackinaw parka, Filson vest,
      Carhartt camo pants or Filson bibs if really cold. Gloves are ArcticShield. I use dry handwarmers and also some Jon-E. Usually good down to 10 deg. or lower. Colder than that and I am back to camp
      sipping some Ancient Age.
      I forgot to add I use this heater. I start it at camp and take it on the 4 wheeler. I also take some extra charcoal so it will run all day. It has a lid to transporting and the outside stays cool.
      The company also sells a wool parka to have the heater right insise for extreme cold.
      http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/charheat-heater?a=403594

Comment

@4everAutumn,
        The only problems I ever have is keeping my ears and nose warm, and keeping my eyes/contacts from drying out when it's cold. I invested in a really good pair of boots(totally worth it), and I keep my hands tucked anywhere it is warm. I just figured this was a good question to ask since most states are hosting/are about to open up many hunting seasons. Layers, layers, and more layers....
        @JHP,
        I hate having anything at all that restricts my hearing, so any type of mask is a no-no for me. Sometimes I have trouble keeping still, so hearing is very important for me. Ironic part is that my ears get cold before anything else haha.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          @4everAutumn,
          The only problems I ever have is keeping my ears and nose warm, and keeping my eyes/contacts from drying out when it's cold. I invested in a really good pair of boots(totally worth it), and I keep my hands tucked anywhere it is warm. I just figured this was a good question to ask since most states are hosting/are about to open up many hunting seasons. Layers, layers, and more layers....
          @JHP,
          I hate having anything at all that restricts my hearing, so any type of mask is a no-no for me. Sometimes I have trouble keeping still, so hearing is very important for me. Ironic part is that my ears get cold before anything else haha.
          Buy an inexpensive small bottle of saline solution for your eyes/contacts or pull your upper eyelid over your bottom lid to produce tears. I replenish burnt energy by eating a trail mix of nuts and chocolate. 7 out of 10 times I will see the deer before I hear it or not hear it at all. My area is predicting rain for 2 days of the hunt and I am sure I will not hear much of anything unless some rut lust is going on. Of course, the deer might not hear me while still hunting as well.

Comment

As soon as I figure it out myself I will let you know JM. Lol
            In all seriousness, I've been running into problems with the record cold we're having up here in Iowa while bowhunting the last few days. There's a limit to how many clothes you can wear and still draw/shoot a bow accurately, and I've been right on that line for the last several hunts, and it still hasn't been enough. I can take temperatures in the 20s and windy, or teens and calm, for about 3 hours, but then I start to get so cold I have to head back to the vehicle. When it's teens and windy, like it has been for the last couple of days, I don't even hunt.
            In the late gun seasons, I can wear more clothes, and can usually stay warm for a half a day or more, unless the weather is truly arctic. The key is keeping your head, hands and feet warm, because they are where you lose heat the fastest. When gun hunting I wear a thick wool face mask/balaclava along with a heavy knit watch cap, boots with 1000 grams of Thinsulate, and insulated mittens.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
              As soon as I figure it out myself I will let you know JM. Lol
              In all seriousness, I've been running into problems with the record cold we're having up here in Iowa while bowhunting the last few days. There's a limit to how many clothes you can wear and still draw/shoot a bow accurately, and I've been right on that line for the last several hunts, and it still hasn't been enough. I can take temperatures in the 20s and windy, or teens and calm, for about 3 hours, but then I start to get so cold I have to head back to the vehicle. When it's teens and windy, like it has been for the last couple of days, I don't even hunt.
              In the late gun seasons, I can wear more clothes, and can usually stay warm for a half a day or more, unless the weather is truly arctic. The key is keeping your head, hands and feet warm, because they are where you lose heat the fastest. When gun hunting I wear a thick wool face mask/balaclava along with a heavy knit watch cap, boots with 1000 grams of Thinsulate, and insulated mittens.
              @Huntfishtrap,
              Yeah it's been cold here as well. Having a gun in my hands instead of the bow gives me a mental boost and a I can stay out in the cold for longer. This morning was so cold and windy that the wind felt like it was cutting my exposed skin. On a high note, Missouri turned in 91k opening weekend which I believe is almost 30k more than last year.

Comment

Depending on where I'm hunting my late season, I usually set up my ground blind. It traps heat and protects from snow and rain and those bone chilling breezes that blow through when you think you can't get any colder. It also covers any movement inside, whether I'm putting on more clothes or killing time on my phone. A blind definitely helps during colder seasons.

Comment

Depending on where I'm hunting my late season, I usually set up my ground blind. It traps heat and protects from snow and rain and those bone chilling breezes that blow through when you think you can't get any colder. It also covers any movement inside, whether I'm putting on more clothes or killing time on my phone. A blind definitely helps during colder seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                    I have no problem keeping my body warm, but my hands and feet are always cold. I have an insulated muff for my hands that I put hand warmer packets in and I just keep my hands in it until I need to shoot. If it's really cold, I just put a couple more hand warmers in. I also have insulated boot blankets for my feet. They are basically over-sized cloth boots that slip over your normal footwear. I put hand warmer packets inside the boot blankets on the outside of my boots and they keep my feet warm in just about any temp. As soon as I get cold, the hunt is pretty much over because I start paying more attention to that and less to what I should be.
                    The issue with staying warm when hunting is the sitting or stand still aspect of the activity. Wearing the right gear when active in work or play is not what you need when parked at your favorite deer or bird hunting location. More is better in that situation and I prefer down filled outwear, a heavy wool sweater, long johns or thinsulate layer and the bibed style insulated pant to keep the heat in.If you do not have felt pack winter boots or something comparable you are doomed to be cold no matter what else you are wearing. Fur hats such as muskat will have you warm no matter how cold it gets. Touques that are knit without a heavy fleese lining are practically useless. Wear something over your face to cut the wind though it will be solid ice within the first hour. That is fine as it will cut the wind that much better. I have worked through many long days in -30 F weather so I ought to know what it's about.... neverthelss, I was cold on ever so many of those days before I had the kind of money it takes to buy the clohing required to tolerate such conditions. Gear up or stay home and stay warm.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                      The issue with staying warm when hunting is the sitting or stand still aspect of the activity. Wearing the right gear when active in work or play is not what you need when parked at your favorite deer or bird hunting location. More is better in that situation and I prefer down filled outwear, a heavy wool sweater, long johns or thinsulate layer and the bibed style insulated pant to keep the heat in.If you do not have felt pack winter boots or something comparable you are doomed to be cold no matter what else you are wearing. Fur hats such as muskat will have you warm no matter how cold it gets. Touques that are knit without a heavy fleese lining are practically useless. Wear something over your face to cut the wind though it will be solid ice within the first hour. That is fine as it will cut the wind that much better. I have worked through many long days in -30 F weather so I ought to know what it's about.... neverthelss, I was cold on ever so many of those days before I had the kind of money it takes to buy the clohing required to tolerate such conditions. Gear up or stay home and stay warm.
                      Kody - 20 Nov 2014 7:00 pm

Comment

Y'all make me real happy that I'm hunting in Lower Alabama. We still have a few days with temps in the 20's and occasionally in the teens. One of the main things I can advise you on is not to get old. Every year, my tolerance for the cold gets weaker to the point that I have to make a sincere commitment to going out there in the frigid.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                          @4everAutumn,
                          @JHP,
                          If you use a balaclava, put it on and have your wife mark the location of your ears. Cut an opening to be able to hear.

Comment

Hi...

You'll need clothing that INSULATES...IS WINDPROOF...and BREATHABLE...!! And depending on the season...waterproof...!!

You can dress in layers...and/or have a good top layer of 'Woolrich-type clothing over fewer layers.

Depending on where I am, I may wear a snowmobile suit, with a vest underneath.

Boots, hat and gloves MUST be able to keep you warm warm, also...because if these areas get cold...your whole body can easily chill...!!

'Layering' should start from the feet up, depending on the exterior temp's.

NOTE: ALWAYS dress for the outside...even if you're only going to the nearby convenience store for milk...!! (If your car breaks down then, stalls in drifts, etc.,you'll be dressed for the occasion)...!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                              Hi...

You'll need clothing that INSULATES...IS WINDPROOF...and BREATHABLE...!! And depending on the season...waterproof...!!

You can dress in layers...and/or have a good top layer of 'Woolrich-type clothing over fewer layers.

Depending on where I am, I may wear a snowmobile suit, with a vest underneath.

Boots, hat and gloves MUST be able to keep you warm warm, also...because if these areas get cold...your whole body can easily chill...!!

'Layering' should start from the feet up, depending on the exterior temp's.

NOTE: ALWAYS dress for the outside...even if you're only going to the nearby convenience store for milk...!! (If your car breaks down then, stalls in drifts, etc.,you'll be dressed for the occasion)...!!
                              Bob, haven't seen much from you recently. Hunting hard or just nothing of interest here lately?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget