Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most potentially hazardous things you have in your hunting area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by officerdom1987 View Post
    From what I understand, although on the decline, Lyme's carrying deer ticks. Really prevalent here in Pa. Another is illegal hunters. Too many hunters that don't respect private property and then get hotheaded and an attitude when you call them out on it.
    I just heard that Lyme disease can be sexually transmitted. Nothing is sacred anymore.

Leave a comment:

• officerdom1987
    replied
    From what I understand, although on the decline, Lyme's carrying deer ticks. Really prevalent here in Pa. Another is illegal hunters. Too many hunters that don't respect private property and then get hotheaded and an attitude when you call them out on it.

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Armstrong View Post
    Ive found that here in Southeast Oklahoma, besides disease carrying mosquitoes, that the bottoms are infested with Cotton Mouths, Copper Heads, and [email protected]#$ poachers. I find more trespasser sign than I do turkey sign.
    Hi...

Some of the 'hunters' from NYC who think they know it all; lime ticks (yes, I've had the disease!); rattlesnakes; copperheads; black bears that are too acclimated to humans and their garbage (I tried to scare one away a month ago, but he didn't like it...he bluff charged me, and I gave it right back to him. So he ran away a few feet, and came right back again)...!!

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    well you didn't specify hazardous to whom , so I'LL say it's them damn house cats again people just let roam where they please. lol

Leave a comment:

• Live4Bowhunting
    replied
    Where I live we have an influx of townie's from the evil DC that have no business in the woods let alone carrying a gun or bow. That gets pretty scary at times

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Ticks with Lyme Disease, Mosquitoes with the West Nile Virus, rabid coyote that bite a Jersey bowhunter, a New Jersey black bear attacking college students and NJ animal rights activists harassing bear hunters. Read the link below about the three day harassment in the bear woods.
    The Jersey poisonous snakes haven't made the newspapers in a while. Gary

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1708215/posts

Leave a comment:

• pineywoods
    replied
    Drunks and fools.

Leave a comment:

• MN Outdoorsman
    replied
    One thing not mentioned yet is old wooden stands that time has forgotten and that have crumbled to the ground. Nails sticking out of the boards is a hazard I try to prevent for others whenever I find them. If I can't carry them out with me I stack them up against the tree and try to remember to grab them some other time when i'm not carrying a gun/bow and gear.

Leave a comment:

• honda scott
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    What do you have to contend with? Is it animals with big teeth, rattlesnakes, ticks, hypothermia, flash floods, getting lost, other hunters, falling etc? What is on your mind when you are hunting to keep you safe?
    I really think the most dangerous thing in anyone's woods are freaking idiots running around with guns that should not be allowed to buy a pea shooter and have their license to breath revoked. Everything else is immaterial.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by asrenstrom View Post
    Black bears with cubs and a heap of wolves which just recently intruded on our area, both are monitored by a .45LC if necessary. It will be interesting to see if the wolves or bears make a push against each other as the dominant predator in the area. There are coyotes but I think the wolves are going to push them out right quick.

The only other concern to keep a weary eye (and foot) out for is long forgotten barbed wire that is mingling under the leaves and forest floor. You find it in the most peculiar places, and it really makes you wonder what the landscape was doing a hundred years ago that caused the farmers from a few generations ago to place it where it is...
    asrenstrom,
    once we looked at getting a wolf as a pet in the Adirondacks. 95% timberwolf. We chickened out as we had other dogs which the breeder said the wolf would kill. See his picture in my photo's. He is the Alpha in the breeders group.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    One year in the Adirondacks after a big wind storm I was hunting out of a tent. At night a big tree limb came down and missed me by a couple feet. Now I look up and see what is hanging up there that is likely to come down without notice. One time I tripped and fell on the top of a stump a beaver had cut down. That was a sharp point right into my side. I was lucky, I could get to the 4 wheeler and got back to camp where some medicine in a brown bottle was waiting.
    As others have mentioned, the climber stand is probably as dangerous as anything. I have the climber harness and then use the Down-Safe in case of a slip. Try to have as much back up as possible.
    This year in Ohio, straight wall rifle cartridges can be used for the first time - maximum is 3 rounds loaded . This will be interesting to see how it works out.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Armstrong
    replied
    Ive found that here in Southeast Oklahoma, besides disease carrying mosquitoes, that the bottoms are infested with Cotton Mouths, Copper Heads, and [email protected]#$ poachers. I find more trespasser sign than I do turkey sign.

Leave a comment:

• asrenstrom
    replied
    Black bears with cubs and a heap of wolves which just recently intruded on our area, both are monitored by a .45LC if necessary. It will be interesting to see if the wolves or bears make a push against each other as the dominant predator in the area. There are coyotes but I think the wolves are going to push them out right quick.

The only other concern to keep a weary eye (and foot) out for is long forgotten barbed wire that is mingling under the leaves and forest floor. You find it in the most peculiar places, and it really makes you wonder what the landscape was doing a hundred years ago that caused the farmers from a few generations ago to place it where it is...
    north central MN

Leave a comment:

• ozark_ghost
    replied
    Besides the snakes, copperheads are really bad this year, ticks carrying Lymes, mosquitoes big enough to drain a fifty gallon blood bank, the biggest concern I have are the attack rabbits guarding the cave entrances. Seriously we don't have that many problems in the woods besides tree stand accidents, falls, strains, and sprains.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Aren, where are you located?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
    by CD2
    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
    Yesterday, 06:22 PM
  • TriggerTech installed
    by fitch270
    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
  • Aquila ammo test
    by dewman
    Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
    Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
    08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
  • Show and Tell
    by Amflyer
    Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
    08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
  • College Orientation News
    by fitch270
    Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
    07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X