Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most potentially hazardous things you have in your hunting area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the most potentially hazardous things you have in your hunting area?

What are the most potentially hazardous things you have in your hunting area?

What do you have to contend with? Is it animals with big teeth, rattlesnakes, ticks, hypothermia, flash floods, getting lost, other hunters, falling etc? What is on your mind when you are hunting to keep you safe?

Comment

Black bears with cubs and a heap of wolves which just recently intruded on our area, both are monitored by a .45LC if necessary. It will be interesting to see if the wolves or bears make a push against each other as the dominant predator in the area. There are coyotes but I think the wolves are going to push them out right quick.

The only other concern to keep a weary eye (and foot) out for is long forgotten barbed wire that is mingling under the leaves and forest floor. You find it in the most peculiar places, and it really makes you wonder what the landscape was doing a hundred years ago that caused the farmers from a few generations ago to place it where it is...

Comment

Our animals in Iowa are relatively mild compared to other places, so they really aren't that tough to deal with. It is mostly the human animal that causes me concern. They set up dangerously close on a waterfowl marsh, they shoot low birds in a dove field, they walk in on an already occupied pheasant field, they fling deer slugs at deer with no regard for where they ultimately end up and many more of the like. The other dangers are self created, mainly having to do with the fact that I forget I'm not 25 and can't do half the things I still try to do.

Comment

Tree stands 18 or 20 feet off the ground. That may seem odd to some of you who have to think about bears, cougars, etc., but tree-stand accidents are the leading cause of injury and death when hunting here in Iowa. Other than that, probably idiotic deer and turkey hunters taking irresponsible shots, as 4everAutumn said.

Comment

Originally posted by asrenstrom View Post
            Black bears with cubs and a heap of wolves which just recently intruded on our area, both are monitored by a .45LC if necessary. It will be interesting to see if the wolves or bears make a push against each other as the dominant predator in the area. There are coyotes but I think the wolves are going to push them out right quick.

The only other concern to keep a weary eye (and foot) out for is long forgotten barbed wire that is mingling under the leaves and forest floor. You find it in the most peculiar places, and it really makes you wonder what the landscape was doing a hundred years ago that caused the farmers from a few generations ago to place it where it is...
            Aren, where are you located?

Comment

Besides the snakes, copperheads are really bad this year, ticks carrying Lymes, mosquitoes big enough to drain a fifty gallon blood bank, the biggest concern I have are the attack rabbits guarding the cave entrances. Seriously we don't have that many problems in the woods besides tree stand accidents, falls, strains, and sprains.

Comment

north central MN

Comment

Ive found that here in Southeast Oklahoma, besides disease carrying mosquitoes, that the bottoms are infested with Cotton Mouths, Copper Heads, and [email protected]#$ poachers. I find more trespasser sign than I do turkey sign.

Comment

One year in the Adirondacks after a big wind storm I was hunting out of a tent. At night a big tree limb came down and missed me by a couple feet. Now I look up and see what is hanging up there that is likely to come down without notice. One time I tripped and fell on the top of a stump a beaver had cut down. That was a sharp point right into my side. I was lucky, I could get to the 4 wheeler and got back to camp where some medicine in a brown bottle was waiting.
                    As others have mentioned, the climber stand is probably as dangerous as anything. I have the climber harness and then use the Down-Safe in case of a slip. Try to have as much back up as possible.
                    This year in Ohio, straight wall rifle cartridges can be used for the first time - maximum is 3 rounds loaded . This will be interesting to see how it works out.

Comment

asrenstrom,
                      once we looked at getting a wolf as a pet in the Adirondacks. 95% timberwolf. We chickened out as we had other dogs which the breeder said the wolf would kill. See his picture in my photo's. He is the Alpha in the breeders group.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        What do you have to contend with? Is it animals with big teeth, rattlesnakes, ticks, hypothermia, flash floods, getting lost, other hunters, falling etc? What is on your mind when you are hunting to keep you safe?
                        I really think the most dangerous thing in anyone's woods are freaking idiots running around with guns that should not be allowed to buy a pea shooter and have their license to breath revoked. Everything else is immaterial.

Comment

One thing not mentioned yet is old wooden stands that time has forgotten and that have crumbled to the ground. Nails sticking out of the boards is a hazard I try to prevent for others whenever I find them. If I can't carry them out with me I stack them up against the tree and try to remember to grab them some other time when i'm not carrying a gun/bow and gear.

Comment

Drunks and fools.

Comment

Ticks with Lyme Disease, Mosquitoes with the West Nile Virus, rabid coyote that bite a Jersey bowhunter, a New Jersey black bear attacking college students and NJ animal rights activists harassing bear hunters. Read the link below about the three day harassment in the bear woods.
                              The Jersey poisonous snakes haven't made the newspapers in a while. Gary

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1708215/posts

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X