Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squirrel and rabbit seasons open in Iowa tomorrow. Doves open Monday. It's finally here again! What seasons are open or opening in everybody else's areas? Good luck, hunt safe and make some memories.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrel and rabbit seasons open in Iowa tomorrow. Doves open Monday. It's finally here again! What seasons are open or opening in everybody else's areas? Good luck, hunt safe and make some memories.

Squirrel and rabbit seasons open in Iowa tomorrow. Doves open Monday. It's finally here again! What seasons are open or opening in everybody else's areas? Good luck, hunt safe and make some memories.

Archery deer+turkey opens September 15th. Might say I am looking forward to that! Marks the end of fishing and the beginning of hunting for me. Squirrel opened a few months ago, but the heat has been too bad for me to enjoy it much.

Comment

I can remember squirrels in that Missouri heat when I was a kid, JM. That is hard to enjoy.
      It was a great morning to be out here today though. No wind and cool early. Just about the perfect squirrel opener. The woods were pretty active, but the shots were tough with the heavy leaf cover. I missed twice with my Browning Challenger. It is a great little pistol, but it seems like the barrel gets more bent the older I get. My youngest shot two and my oldest got one. We'll head back out in the morning to try to add to our Sunday dinner.
      One bonus of getting ready last night was the discovery of a brand new 550 count box of .22 LR that got shoved to the back of my ammo locker. I didn't even know I had it. It was kind of like discovering gold.

Comment

@4everAutumn,
        -Sounds like a successful opening day in my book. I got out to practice some archery for the first time in awhile and I think my arrows got a little bent like your barrel. Definitely lucky that I had a hay bale to back up the target.
        -Yeah the heat and humidity have been bad. Every time we get a break from the heat something of priority over hunting pops up. Once I finally do get a chance I will probably be breaking out the shotgun so that I can save the .22 ammunition for everyone else when they come down. Sadly, I know for a fact that there is not any ammunition hiding out of sight(there isn't enough for it to hide behind haha).

Comment

Been squirrel season here since May 15th. Sounds like you had a great first day in the squirrel woods with your family. I never go out with the grandson that I don't feel just as much pride in his squirrels as he does. To me it is not important to limit out as much as it is the time alone with my grandson with no distractions and time in the woods. Trumps anything else that might happen.

Comment

Ozarkghost: You are so right. Time spent with family trumps anything to me too. The fact that it's in the woods is even better. We had another great day today. My youngest shot two squirrels and my oldest shot one again. I took one long shot that I missed on purpose to show them that even a squirrel hunting veteran can miss. (They didn't believe that either...) We were covered up in turkeys all morning and we had a little doe fawn close enough to touch. I don't know how the day could have been any better. I'm trying to put some pictures on here, but they don't seem to be downloading right.
            Doves in the morning and I can't wait.

Comment

I have yet to get out there this season. Best of luck to ya bud(:

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                by fitch270
                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
              • Grips and stocks
                by dewman
                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
              • Youth pheasant hike
                by fitch270
                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                by fitch270
                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
              • Unusual Sound
                by jhjimbo
                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X