Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is more fuel for the scent control debate. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• officerdom1987
    replied
    Well not only was I back and forth on scent control issue, I purchased a brand new bottle of Dead down Wind that decided to leak its entire contents into the trunk of my brand new vehicle. So not only am I against scent control sprays, I am also against their cheap plastic bottles!! grrrr

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    I, AGREE CHARLIE. )----> X next subject Scent control is no guarantee to a successful hunt. DEER attractants? no guarantee either. Stand vs stalking ? no guarantee. So basically theres no guarantee's in deer hunting,but there is one truth. Every deer has its own traits, and will respond in different ways on different days.
    If we hunted for a living I think anything you do to increase an advantage would become S. O.P

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I am a firm believer in scent eliminating sprays. Do I have reinforcing evidence that they work? No I do not. Just my own experience. I started using these steadily after hog hunting the last ten years. The fact remains that you cannot ignore the wind or air currents up and down hill in the morning and evening.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    I agree. I don't really use scent-control products, although I do try to keep the wind in my favor when hunting, whether I'm in a stand or on the ground. That can only help, after all. I do think that deer that are habituated to human scent and activity are generally more tolerant of it than those living in a wilderness area 5 miles from the nearest human habitation. My dad owns a small (10 acres) chunk of timber, and one of my cousins has a house right next to the edge of it. There are a fair number of deer around, and I have noticed that we can get away with much more over there without them spooking than we can on some of our other hunting properties, and I think it's because they're used to smelling and seeing people all the time around my cousin's.
    They're not tame by any means, just less wary than other deer I've encountered.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    It does not need to be a wilderness area. What you describe is typical deer behavior. Most of today's deer hunters have been sold on their scent is poison that contaminates the area and that they must sit in a tree stand while scent free to be successful. They are so sold on this narrative that they're afraid to even try any other hunting method. Which is really too bad because these hunters miss out on so much while just hanging in a tree day after day.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
    My dad had a routine for every deer hunt. He would put on his jeans and flannel shirt, tie on his boots and drive to his hunting spot. When he got into the timber, he'd take a leak, walk a couple steps and plop on the ground. I'm not saying I would recommend this strategy for everybody, but we sure ate a lot of deer when I was a kid.
    That's pretty much the way I still do it. Only I walk around rather than plopping on the ground.

Leave a comment:

• 4everAutumn
    replied
    My dad had a routine for every deer hunt. He would put on his jeans and flannel shirt, tie on his boots and drive to his hunting spot. When he got into the timber, he'd take a leak, walk a couple steps and plop on the ground. I'm not saying I would recommend this strategy for everybody, but we sure ate a lot of deer when I was a kid.

Leave a comment:

• ozark_ghost
    replied
    I hit the squirrel woods at my honey hole just as it was light enough to see through the scope. Weather was overcast with calm winds and a smattering of rain. Five or six squirrels were playing around the parked truck so I chanced a shot at one and a limb deflected the bullet (at least that is my story and I am sticking to it, because no one else was with me to say different). I went maybe thirty feet into the woods and sat down on top of a fallen cedar tree to see if I could catch any movement. From my right I hear movement and see a small 6 pointer coming towards me. Now remember, I am squirrel hunting with no scent control and no attractant out. He looked at me several times while he closed the distance from about 30 feet to within 15 feet while doing so. He never quite figured out what was looking at him and after a snort he wondered on off in the opposite direction.

This is not the first time deer in this particular Wilderness Area have done this to me this year while squirrel hunting. I have seen a total of 5 doe, three bucks, and four fawns between forty feet of me, and, at the most, a hundred yards down an old logging road. The area is bow only for deer. The deer have all been healthy and the population is not overly crowded but I do see deer sign every time I go out, and, of course, I am on the ground.

I might be very lucky to have seen deer this close and this often, and indeed I am, but this reinforces my opinion that scent control 'systems' have been sold to us, as hunters, when it is not the necessity we are told it is. Stealthy movement, being still, and use of any wind seem to me more important than anything else.

BTW here is a pic of what I gathered this morning before the rain shut things down.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Here is more fuel for the scent control debate. See first post.

Here is more fuel for the scent control debate. See first post.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
    by fitch270
    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
    Yesterday, 08:27 PM
  • Unusual Sound
    by jhjimbo
    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
    Yesterday, 02:17 PM
  • bedding on new rifle
    by Amflyer
    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
    Yesterday, 12:22 AM
  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
    by fitch270
    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
    09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X