Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the number of firearms a hunter should have to cover everything he hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the number of firearms a hunter should have to cover everything he hunts?

What is the number of firearms a hunter should have to cover everything he hunts?

It would be impossible for me to put a specific number on it without knowing what constitutes "everything". In general, I would say two for each use would be about the minimum - one main one and one backup in case something happens to the other.

Comment

2 or 3 rifles of varying calibers for different sized game and ranges. 2 or 3 shotguns of varying gauge and size for the same reason (maybe a slug barrel to act as a rifle for heavy woods hunting of deer...). 1 solid handgun of larger caliber for personal protection in the woods, maybe another for conceal & carry purposes if the first doesn't suit the bill. So I would say 5 guns is a minimum to get a good spread of use in almost all scenarios.

Comment

That's up there with how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

In my staying local to hunt world, I can get by with two rifles and a shotgun and never be found wanting. Maybe a third rifle if mid sized predators are factored in.

In my ideal world.. one more!

Comment

Asking that question to outdoors-men is like asking a woman how many pairs of shoes does she really needs. If you are a minimalist, one rifle in .22 for small game, one rifle in 30-30 or larger for bigger game, one shotgun with variable choke tubes in either 20 or 12 ga, one hand gun for carrying in the woods, one handgun for personal defense, and a larger closet for your wife's shoes. Otherwise have as many different types of each for the hunting scenarios that you hunt in the most, i.e. a carbine for dense woodlands, a longer barreled rifle for more open ground/longer ranges.

Comment

At last count, my wife thinks it's about 63. Seriously though, I could get by with a 12 ga. shotgun, a small bore rifle, a large bore rifle, small bore and a large bore hand gun and a muzzle loader. The extras I keep around just provide options to make it more fun. I have actually been trying to think of a few to sell to help pay for a toy I bought and it's incredibly tough to decide which ones can go.

Comment

For me it would be my 30.06, my 22 rifle, a 12 ga. pump, and my muzzleloader. Finally my 357 Mag would be included.

Comment

The number a hunter *should have*? As many as he or she desires! The absolute minimum number *needed* to hunt? Exactly one. Know a lady that hunts everything with a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 youth model with modified choke and rifle style williams fire sights on the rib. She is not a gun person, just wanted an inexpensive tool that works. Squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, geese, turkey, deer and coyotes. Think a couple possum and raccoon might have bit the dust as well. The old adage of beware the man with one gun applies to the ladies too!

Comment

I think, a good .22 A good Shotgun and a good Rifle. If you had only one choice a good shotgun with a pocket full of 71/2 some number 4 some 00Buck and some slugs.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                    It would be impossible for me to put a specific number on it without knowing what constitutes "everything". In general, I would say two for each use would be about the minimum - one main one and one backup in case something happens to the other.
                    A backup isn't necessary if you can quickly repair the main.

Comment

Originally posted by asrenstrom View Post
                      2 or 3 rifles of varying calibers for different sized game and ranges. 2 or 3 shotguns of varying gauge and size for the same reason (maybe a slug barrel to act as a rifle for heavy woods hunting of deer...). 1 solid handgun of larger caliber for personal protection in the woods, maybe another for conceal & carry purposes if the first doesn't suit the bill. So I would say 5 guns is a minimum to get a good spread of use in almost all scenarios.
                      Wow! That seems excessive

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        That's up there with how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

In my staying local to hunt world, I can get by with two rifles and a shotgun and never be found wanting. Maybe a third rifle if mid sized predators are factored in.

In my ideal world.. one more!
                        That's probably closer to the minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                          At last count, my wife thinks it's about 63. Seriously though, I could get by with a 12 ga. shotgun, a small bore rifle, a large bore rifle, small bore and a large bore hand gun and a muzzle loader. The extras I keep around just provide options to make it more fun. I have actually been trying to think of a few to sell to help pay for a toy I bought and it's incredibly tough to decide which ones can go.
                          I'm going through the same thing. Several of my rifles are getting no use so it's time to get rid of them. The problem is deciding which to let go

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                            For me it would be my 30.06, my 22 rifle, a 12 ga. pump, and my muzzleloader. Finally my 357 Mag would be included.
                            Do you hunt with that .357 Magnum?

Comment

Originally posted by illinoisburt View Post
                              The number a hunter *should have*? As many as he or she desires! The absolute minimum number *needed* to hunt? Exactly one. Know a lady that hunts everything with a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 youth model with modified choke and rifle style williams fire sights on the rib. She is not a gun person, just wanted an inexpensive tool that works. Squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, geese, turkey, deer and coyotes. Think a couple possum and raccoon might have bit the dust as well. The old adage of beware the man with one gun applies to the ladies too!
                              Wow! I've often though a shotgun could fill that role but have never met an adult that does it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X