Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground blind or tree stand for this upcoming Whitetail (rifle) season, which do you prefer? I am using a Savage 25-06 model 111.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground blind or tree stand for this upcoming Whitetail (rifle) season, which do you prefer? I am using a Savage 25-06 model 111.

Ground blind or tree stand for this upcoming Whitetail (rifle) season, which do you prefer? I am using a Savage 25-06 model 111.

I like being at ground level, but that is just a personal preference. A lot of factors go into a blind vs tree stand. If it is going to be cold/you get cold easily, go with a blind. Also, if rain is in the forecast a blind will keep you dry. If the weather will be tolerable and you have a good spot picked out go with a stand. A blind can be moved more easily. If hunting on public land I would use a ground blind with lots of orange tape or something to signal where you are. The Savage 111 is pretty long, so make sure you have plenty of room if you are in a blind. If you are going to use a tree stand be safe and use a harness.

Comment

I'd say on top of what JM posted, it depends on where you can see the furthest. The farm I hunt in southern Iowa has stands where you can see a long ways and other stands where you can see greater distances from the ground. I prefer to rifle hunt on the ground here, but by the time the season I hunt rolls around, it is in the dead of winter and the leaves are long gone.

Comment

I can see the furthest when i'm next to the treeline looking out into the field. But the hunting area i'm at in West MI goes into the woods by a creek and wetlands with lots of cover. I went out spotting yesterday and watched a nice meaty 6 point and another spike roll in when i did some doe bleating, but the swamp has a lot of cover, i might need to use a non permanent stand if they stay in there all year. Yeah I've preferred to be at ground level as well when i began hunting. I've already got a 2 person blind for this season but was wondering if i could try something new. I get cold fairly easy, and i did notice when i tested out my blind that it traps in heat very well and has a lot of permanent orange reflectors, my girlfriend thought they where used for finding the blind after dark... which could work, but still its actually for warning OTHER hunters. Thank you both for the helpful information and your feed on your preference.

Comment

Hi...

I am of the opinion that a deer is less likely to look up at a tree stand (providing you are keeping very still), than a ground blind.

That may be the reason that tree stands are getting more and more popular...!!

Comment

Yeah that's another reason why I considered getting a stand, but the blind I have has blacked out interior that really suppresses the vision of anyone or thing outside of the blind seeing you. But considering that i'm using a rifle this season, inside a blind I wouldn't have to make much movement when I see the deer I want (knock an arrow and pull back, take aim.)

I'll have to use my doe bleat with the neck lace and have my rifle at the ready (but on safe).

Comment

Defiantly a tree blind. Longer view distance, better shots open up, your scent is above their level, your not obstructing their path, and personally I like to be higher than my prey as I hunt to signify my position higher on the food chain.

Comment

I have hunted around Kalkaska and Travers City on the ground with only a natural ground blind and did o.k.
                Also, a lot safer on the ground and easier to make a move if necessary.

Comment

Tree stand: you don't have to worry about scent as much, and in my opinion some stands offer better shots

Comment

Originally posted by MichiganNative View Post
                    Yeah that's another reason why I considered getting a stand, but the blind I have has blacked out interior that really suppresses the vision of anyone or thing outside of the blind seeing you. But considering that i'm using a rifle this season, inside a blind I wouldn't have to make much movement when I see the deer I want (knock an arrow and pull back, take aim.)

I'll have to use my doe bleat with the neck lace and have my rifle at the ready (but on safe).
                    Depends. In some populated areas safety could be a concern shooting from an elevated position gives the bullet a downward trajectory. Elevation can give you better visibility in brushy areas. Whereas a ground position hides a hunter better in more open areas.
                    In my opinion a lot of modern hunted deer look up for danger rather than down. While on the ground many deer have walked up to me while scanning the trees for danger.
                    Good hunting.

Comment

Depends. In some populated areas safety could be a concern shooting from an elevated position gives the bullet a downward trajectory. Elevation can give you better visibility in brushy areas. Whereas a ground position hides a hunter better in more open areas. In my opinion a lot of modern hunted deer look up for danger rather than down. While on the ground many deer have walked up to me while scanning the trees for danger. Good hunting.

Comment

What ever happened to sitting on a bucket on the ground. I have killed a lot of deer this way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                          by jhjimbo
                          Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                          09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                        • Spur of the moment rifle
                          by Amflyer
                          I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                          09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                        • The $20 Shooting Shack
                          by fitch270
                          So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                          09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                        • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                          by dewman
                          one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                          09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                        • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                          by dewman
                          So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                          09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X