Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else opt to hunt on foot during archery season? Story on my first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MN Outdoorsman View Post
    One of the only times I have bow hunted on the ground I was on the corner of a field and had some brush as a blind. It was close to 0 degrees. I stuck it out for a couple hours and was miserabely cold thinking I was wasting my time cause I was so accostumed to sitting in a treestand. After fighting nature calls pains for a while I stood up to relieve myself and with bow on the ground a doe came around the corner and stopped and stared at me at 7 yards. She spooked before I could reach down and grab my bow. Had I been in a stand I would most likely have spotted her coming around the edge of the field from a ways off. So frustrating yet so funny to relive the moment. Bowhunting from the ground is definitely more challenging so props to you and it's got to be nice to not worry about breaking your neck climbing a tree and having the freedom to move around.
    I wonder how many hunters have been in a similar situation!

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
      @MWK,
      I am almost the complete opposite. I can not sit in a stand for hours(mentally). I feel like I am wasting time if I can not move around. And yes, I have been injured falling out of a tree stand. As far as your story goes, that is why I love hunting on the ground. You may get busted more often, but you can get really close to animals.
      Yep, falling from a treestand would definitely make me want to hunt from the ground too!

Comment

Originally posted by MN Outdoorsman View Post
        When I'm on the ground I usually can only see a fraction of what I can see when in a tree so I get bored easily. 2.5 hours is usually my max for sitting in a tree without getting too ADD lol. When I move around I always feel like I am being too noisy and spooking everything away for miles which probably isn't the case cause I am pretty stealth I like to think but it's just what goes through my head so I figure I better sit tight and be quiet. With experience I probably would enjoy more of being mobile and I would gain more confidence in myself hunting that way but I mostly hunt small chunks of private land so that is not really an option.
        You can also sit tight in a ground blind. A popup also gives you some freedom to fidget without being seen

Comment

I don't really stalk deer. I am just moving from spot to spot based on what I see. If you are patient you can get to a different spot even with leaves on the ground. As far as shooting from the ground, I am very patient. If there is any chance of the arrow being deflected I will pass on the shot.
          It's like I have taught PigHuntress - "A patient hunter is a successful hunter."

Comment

I don't really stalk deer. I am just moving from spot to spot based on what I see. If you are patient you can get to a different spot even with leaves on the ground. As far as shooting from the ground, I am very patient. If there is any chance of the arrow being deflected I will pass on the shot.
            It's like I have taught PigHuntress - "A patient hunter is a successful hunter."

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
              JM,
              I haven't had success doing it, but that was a skill issue. I still think stalking into bow range is beyond me, but impressive. I've hunted from the ground with a bow just sitting at the edge of the brush line or with my back to a tree.
              It's been the source of some of my most heart thumping moments in the woods. The problem I've had is figuring out how and when to come to draw. Often times first view is under 20 yards and at that range any animal coming into view is essentially coming right at you.
              That's not a problem when you use a crossbow

Comment

@jcarlin,
                Failing is just part of it, especially on unfamiliar land. It is a lot like hunting out of a stand when you think about it. It is just all about positioning yourself near where the animal is going to be. Often where I hunt you can hear them way before you see them(sometimes you never see them). Keeping your body in a position where you can draw the bow is the most important part. This is where a lot of people get themselves in trouble due to sitting in an odd position or having their bow set up too high to easily draw it back.
                Great point, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                  I have never really hunted with a bow from the ground, but all of my gun hunting is done with me planted in my camp chair with no blind. The closest shot I've ever had was at less than four yards with my .54 Hawken. As tough as ground hunting is at times with a gun, I can only imagine the challenge of using a bow. But really, isn't a challenge what we are all after? Sounds like fun.
                  You could probably do well with a crossbow using that setup

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    I have hunted on the ground with a recurve,successfully, but only in an area where the deer population was very high so I did not have to move at all.
                    I've known others who were successful too in those conditions

Comment

I rarely climb a tree to hunt and spend most of my time hunting from the ground. Using a crossbow has really helped.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        I rarely climb a tree to hunt and spend most of my time hunting from the ground. Using a crossbow has really helped.
                        He had 6 points. And we all know it's really about the points ;-)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Blade Stain
                          by jhjimbo
                          Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                          Today, 11:40 AM
                        • Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X