Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else opt to hunt on foot during archery season? Story on my first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else opt to hunt on foot during archery season? Story on my first post.

Does anyone else opt to hunt on foot during archery season? Story on my first post.

Instead of hunting at home I decided to take a trip to a conservation area I had never been to. I started talking to a group of guys in the parking lot around lunch and the first thing they asked was where my stand was(they were all together but each had a different stand location). When I told them I planned to hunt on foot they looked at me like I was crazy. They told me I was wasting my time since it was impossible to hunt on the ground with a bow(what???). I do not plan on ever sitting in a tree stand, neither at home or anywhere else I plan to hunt.

Comment

One of the only times I have bow hunted on the ground I was on the corner of a field and had some brush as a blind. It was close to 0 degrees. I stuck it out for a couple hours and was miserabely cold thinking I was wasting my time cause I was so accostumed to sitting in a treestand. After fighting nature calls pains for a while I stood up to relieve myself and with bow on the ground a doe came around the corner and stopped and stared at me at 7 yards. She spooked before I could reach down and grab my bow. Had I been in a stand I would most likely have spotted her coming around the edge of the field from a ways off. So frustrating yet so funny to relive the moment. Bowhunting from the ground is definitely more challenging so props to you and it's got to be nice to not worry about breaking your neck climbing a tree and having the freedom to move around.

Comment

@MWK,
        I am almost the complete opposite. I can not sit in a stand for hours(mentally). I feel like I am wasting time if I can not move around. And yes, I have been injured falling out of a tree stand. As far as your story goes, that is why I love hunting on the ground. You may get busted more often, but you can get really close to animals.

Comment

When I'm on the ground I usually can only see a fraction of what I can see when in a tree so I get bored easily. 2.5 hours is usually my max for sitting in a tree without getting too ADD lol. When I move around I always feel like I am being too noisy and spooking everything away for miles which probably isn't the case cause I am pretty stealth I like to think but it's just what goes through my head so I figure I better sit tight and be quiet. With experience I probably would enjoy more of being mobile and I would gain more confidence in myself hunting that way but I mostly hunt small chunks of private land so that is not really an option.

Comment

It's very hard to stalk deer with fall leaves on the ground. I guess if your walking a mountain hiking trail or in the rain on wet ground. I would worry about a small unseen sapling defecting my arrow. Nothing worst then tracking a wounded animal with a bad hit. If you don't find the deer you feel sick and sad at the same time.
            My seek and peek hunting is done with a gun on snow. It's a much better chance of a clean kill.
            Gary

Comment

I have bowhunted deer from the ground before, but usually from a brush or log blind (does that count?). I prefer hunting from a stand, because I fidget a lot (I know, I know; not what you're supposed to do, but I can't help it), and I get busted way too often when at eye-level with the deer. But I will say that my two largest bow bucks ever have come from the ground, although one was a complete accident - I had just walked in during the afternoon and was standing at the base of the tree that my stand was in when it came by and I shot it. My biggest archery buck to date came when I was purposely hunting from the ground though, and without a blind too. While I do prefer hunting from stands, I have to admit that being at the same level as the deer can be quite a thrill.

Comment

I don't really stalk deer. I am just moving from spot to spot based on what I see. If you are patient you can get to a different spot even with leaves on the ground. As far as shooting from the ground, I am very patient. If there is any chance of the arrow being deflected I will pass on the shot.

Comment

I don't really stalk deer. I am just moving from spot to spot based on what I see. If you are patient you can get to a different spot even with leaves on the ground. As far as shooting from the ground, I am very patient. If there is any chance of the arrow being deflected I will pass on the shot.

Comment

JM,
                    I haven't had success doing it, but that was a skill issue. I still think stalking into bow range is beyond me, but impressive. I've hunted from the ground with a bow just sitting at the edge of the brush line or with my back to a tree.
                    It's been the source of some of my most heart thumping moments in the woods. The problem I've had is figuring out how and when to come to draw. Often times first view is under 20 yards and at that range any animal coming into view is essentially coming right at you.

Comment

@jcarlin,
                      Failing is just part of it, especially on unfamiliar land. It is a lot like hunting out of a stand when you think about it. It is just all about positioning yourself near where the animal is going to be. Often where I hunt you can hear them way before you see them(sometimes you never see them). Keeping your body in a position where you can draw the bow is the most important part. This is where a lot of people get themselves in trouble due to sitting in an odd position or having their bow set up too high to easily draw it back.

Comment

I have never really hunted with a bow from the ground, but all of my gun hunting is done with me planted in my camp chair with no blind. The closest shot I've ever had was at less than four yards with my .54 Hawken. As tough as ground hunting is at times with a gun, I can only imagine the challenge of using a bow. But really, isn't a challenge what we are all after? Sounds like fun.

Comment

Yes if I am crossing open hilly ground. It gives me more stealth as I approach the dip in-between hills.

Comment

I have hunted on the ground with a recurve,successfully, but only in an area where the deer population was very high so I did not have to move at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                              Instead of hunting at home I decided to take a trip to a conservation area I had never been to. I started talking to a group of guys in the parking lot around lunch and the first thing they asked was where my stand was(they were all together but each had a different stand location). When I told them I planned to hunt on foot they looked at me like I was crazy. They told me I was wasting my time since it was impossible to hunt on the ground with a bow(what???). I do not plan on ever sitting in a tree stand, neither at home or anywhere else I plan to hunt.
                              I have a friend that's a traditional archer - hunts with a long bow and wooden arrows he made for himself. He always hunts from the ground.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                                by dewman
                                Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                                Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                              • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                                by dewman
                                Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                                Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                              • What is taking so long ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                                09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                              • Burn cream
                                by CD2
                                Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                                No longer does.
                                Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                                Bargain.

Got...
                                09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                              • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X