Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) is in your hunting area, do you eat the deer/elk before having it tested? Will you stop hunting if the risk of eating an infected deer/elk is death? Thanks in advance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) is in your hunting area, do you eat the deer/elk before having it tested? Will you stop hunting if the risk of eating an infected deer/elk is death? Thanks in advance!

If CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) is in your hunting area, do you eat the deer/elk before having it tested? Will you stop hunting if the risk of eating an infected deer/elk is death? Thanks in advance!

No. Where I hunt in Wyoming and Wisconsin are known CWD areas. Don't shoot the ones that look sickly. Beyond that I'm not concerned.

Comment

My area has been a known area recently and I have never been afraid to eat a healthy looking deer.

Comment

I agree with DSM and JM. I'd say just don't shoot any sick acting ones, wear rubber gloves and stay clear of the brain and spinal cord while field dressing and butchering. Right now, there is no proof that humans can carry CWD and as long as we take precautions, I'm not too worried about us. It has been found in Iowa now though so I am worried about the deer.

Comment

My area in Iowa is CWD-free for now (as far as anyone knows), but it has been reported about 40 miles away, so it'll probably get here eventually. As far as health officials know, humans cannot get CWD even if they ate an infected deer, so unless that changes, I would not hesitate to eat a healthy-looking animal from an area with CWD. I would not eat a sick animal from any area, regardless of whether CWD was present or not - that's just common sense.
          In the hypothetical scenario that humans did eventually contract CWD from eating an afflicted deer, I don't think I would stop hunting. I just wouldn't eat any of the meat until I got the test results back.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. Sorry for the triple post. I don't know why it posted my question 3 times.

Comment

It's a great question, but here's the deal: There's no evidence that a CWD-positive deer can transmit the disease to humans. That's the first thing to know. The second is that I'm with @huntfishtrap. If I killed an animal from a CWD-positive zone, I'd butcher the meat as normal and wait until I heard back from authorities before eating it. If it's positive? I probably wouldn't eat it, at least not any ground meat or other cuts that have lymphatic tissue or other glandular tissue. But I'd keep hunting as normal.
              - Andrew McKean

Comment

I do not hunt CWD areas and of course would not shoot a sick looking deer.

Comment

Why is everyone saying "don't shoot" the sickly ones? If you want to rid the population of this disease then do shoot and don't eat. Am I wrong? I just started hunting a new property and just got this picture. I am bummed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

crime scene cleaner uk

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                      by dewman
                      Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                      Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                    • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                      by dewman
                      Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                      Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                    • What is taking so long ?
                      by jhjimbo
                      Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                      09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                    • Burn cream
                      by CD2
                      Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                      No longer does.
                      Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                      Bargain.

Got...
                      09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                    • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                      by dewman
                      So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                      09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X