Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the obsession with antlers begin? Has it always been around? Is it getting worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
    1960 sounds about right, my father and uncle brought home two big bucks, I knew then I wanted one. I shot a lot of doe and smaller bucks before I took one worth mounting,I started a lot of hunters, and enjoyed their success on what ever they killed. I'd still kill a doe if she wasn't to much of a drag .I'VE been letting young bucks walk for years, hundreds of them.In areas where there are trophy bucks , it still helps to have a little luck just to see one, and there's no guarantee then you have a shot .There is cold hunting days, rain days warm days and days on end you see no deer . TROPHY HUNTING TO ME ISN'T WHEN I GET MY TROPHY, ITS THE TIME SPENT THAT GOT ME THERE . it's not for everybody
    6P, it would be interesting to me to see what kind of terrain you hunt

Comment

maybe I missed the question , but it seems to me I've seen cave drawings with horned and tusked animals , if it was just about weight why put them in picture ? I BET old Cro-Magnon was pretty happy with his self, and I doubt he threw his antlers away ,making use of them. So I'll just mount mine and enjoy reliving the memories, while you chew on that doe jerky and forget about her in a few years . BTW THE RAIDERS DIDN'T EXIST BACK THEN , AND HAVEN'T BEEN DOIN TO WELL AT THAT FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN IN THE PLAY OFFS .
      Exactly what I was thinking 6P! I posted my answer before reading yours. So we were on the same track

Comment

KEEP STIRRING THE POT 6P
        Did you stir the pot? I must have missed it

Comment

I said 1960 so I'm pretty close, I think I have a picture of one doe, and she's hanging with a buck .Kinda like game birds I remember some great shots . good points ,and good company , but I can't remember every bird or deer I've killed .The scores help when describing a buck to other hunters that are familiar with scoring . A novice that takes a buck or any deer I'm happy for them . You say you took 180 class non-typical 12 point I have an idea how big he is .I'VE driven distances to see a big deer mount, that wasn't because they didn't know how to score .I don't hunt for meat, although it's never wasted, and I do eat it occasionally.Just as there will never be complete agreement on which rifle or caliber is best suited for all , so is the manner and degree of depth to which we gain satisfaction from the hunt .
          Like you, I don't hunt for meat. It's more about the experience

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            One year during gun season all I needed was a Doe and told all my hunting buddies (big mistake). Well, woulden't you know, in 5 days of hunting I only saw bucks, about 6 or them.. Really pissed everyone off. Finally, in the last hour of the last day I got a doe. Yea, I can pass up antlers. Never have found a good recipe for antlers.
            I hear ya! They would break my teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              If animals did not have antlers, horns, tusks and sharp teeth and claws would you still hunt?
              I would. I am after the sustenance, not the horns.
              Definitely! Most of the pigs I shoot don't have big tusks

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                Well, at it's been important for as long as man has used antlers for tools and weapons.

"Like bone, antler is tough and resilient. Unlike bone, however, antler is relatively solid and varies greatly in form among individual deer. Antlers are grown by male deer and are shed each winter. Antlers were perhaps most important to prehistoric groups for use as flintknapping tools. Soft hammer batons for controlled percussion flaking were made from the basal portions of antlers by cutting them to length and grinding off the rough burr at the base. Antler tips, cut to lengths of 3 to 10 inches, were used as pressure flakers. Antler tips were sometimes cut and drilled to make conical arrow points."
                https://archaeology.uiowa.edu/bone-tools-0
                However, I do have an online friend who's obsessively interested in points and the leaderboard ;-)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget