Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the obsession with antlers begin? Has it always been around? Is it getting worse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the obsession with antlers begin? Has it always been around? Is it getting worse?

When did the obsession with antlers begin? Has it always been around? Is it getting worse?

I remember growing up all of my uncles and everyone would simply pitch the antlers to the dogs because they couldn't care less about them. The heavier animal was what got bragging rights.

Comment

I'd say it has always been around in one form or another, but I think it has definitely gotten worse in the last decade or so. When I was a kid, the first question someone would ask about a deer is how much it weighed, not how much it scored. A good score then is when my Chiefs would beat the Raiders.

Comment

@4everAutumn,
        Sounds about right haha. I've got tickets for when the donkeys...erm, broncos, come to Arrowhead. Hoping to snag a couple for the Raiders game as well!

Comment

I think it's the shows. I went through my phase where I watched them, but it grew old for me at least.
          I understand the pride of getting that big buck you've been watching or the excitement of taking one no one knew was there.
          A doe donating herself to my freezer is still a great day. I have a buddy who 'has a bad day' when several doe and 2.5 year old bucks walk into range but nothing bigger. I don't agree.

Comment

Isn't that like asking, "when did this obsession with big breasts begin?" or "When did this obsession with more horsepower begin?"

Comment

1960 sounds about right, my father and uncle brought home two big bucks, I knew then I wanted one. I shot a lot of doe and smaller bucks before I took one worth mounting,I started a lot of hunters, and enjoyed their success on what ever they killed. I'd still kill a doe if she wasn't to much of a drag .I'VE been letting young bucks walk for years, hundreds of them.In areas where there are trophy bucks , it still helps to have a little luck just to see one, and there's no guarantee then you have a shot .There is cold hunting days, rain days warm days and days on end you see no deer . TROPHY HUNTING TO ME ISN'T WHEN I GET MY TROPHY, ITS THE TIME SPENT THAT GOT ME THERE . it's not for everybody

Comment

maybe I missed the question , but it seems to me I've seen cave drawings with horned and tusked animals , if it was just about weight why put them in picture ? I BET old Cro-Magnon was pretty happy with his self, and I doubt he threw his antlers away ,making use of them. So I'll just mount mine and enjoy reliving the memories, while you chew on that doe jerky and forget about her in a few years . BTW THE RAIDERS DIDN'T EXIST BACK THEN , AND HAVEN'T BEEN DOIN TO WELL AT THAT FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN IN THE PLAY OFFS .

Comment

KEEP STIRRING THE POT 6P

Comment

The only time size doesn't matter is when yours is small.

Comment

6pthunter: I don't know if you are still referring to the cave man days when you mention the Raiders not existing back then. If not, you may want to edit your post. You are wrong and in ALL CAPS to shine the light on your error. The Raiders were founded in 1960, which happens to be when the Chiefs became the Chiefs when they moved from Texas. That's when and why the rivalry started.
                      Also, I will never forget about any deer I have ever shot because I take pictures of every one of them for my hunting photo books. Every deer killed deserves to be honored. Each doe fills my memories the same as every trophy buck.

Comment

I'm about the same age as you JM, so I can't really say any better than you when the antler obsession began. But I can say that it has gotten noticeably "worse" (if you think it's a bad thing, which kind of depends on the person, I've found) in about the last 10-15 years. I personally don't think it's neccessarily a bad thing, except in cases where it leads someone to break the law.

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
                          I don't think it is a problem(usually), but I do get annoyed when people do not see anything more than the antlers on a deer.

Comment

Sounds like JM is a Chiefs fan not Raiders fan. I'm all for holding off on small bucks and waiting and experiencing the challenge of harvesting a mature buck but that's when I know I will have lots of time to hunt during a season. The antler obsession becomes a bad thing in my opinion when people don't invite others hunting on their land cause they don't want to mess up their chance at a big buck or when they complain about having a bad day in the field cause all they saw were small bucks and does.

Comment

I said 1960 so I'm pretty close, I think I have a picture of one doe, and she's hanging with a buck .Kinda like game birds I remember some great shots . good points ,and good company , but I can't remember every bird or deer I've killed .The scores help when describing a buck to other hunters that are familiar with scoring . A novice that takes a buck or any deer I'm happy for them . You say you took 180 class non-typical 12 point I have an idea how big he is .I'VE driven distances to see a big deer mount, that wasn't because they didn't know how to score .I don't hunt for meat, although it's never wasted, and I do eat it occasionally.Just as there will never be complete agreement on which rifle or caliber is best suited for all , so is the manner and degree of depth to which we gain satisfaction from the hunt .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget