Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello All, I am new to hunting and am looking to buy my first shotgun. What would everyone recommend?? My price range would be no more than $500 and I would like a "do it all" type gun. I will mainly be hunting Deer and Turkey. But may get into other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All, I am new to hunting and am looking to buy my first shotgun. What would everyone recommend?? My price range would be no more than $500 and I would like a "do it all" type gun. I will mainly be hunting Deer and Turkey. But may get into other

Hello All, I am new to hunting and am looking to buy my first shotgun. What would everyone recommend?? My price range would be no more than $500 and I would like a "do it all" type gun. I will mainly be hunting Deer and Turkey. But may get into other game in the future. Any input would be helpful and thank you all.

Being a Remington fan it pains me to say that right now I would look at the Benelli Supernova pump shotgun. I have used my 870 Wingmaster for years and will continue to but my understanding is that workmanship at Remington has not been good lately. JMO

Comment

Remington 870 (used you can find decent ones for well under $500). Go for a somewhat older gun (like 20 to 30 years old, maybe someone else here can speak up as to exactly the date Remington quality fell off a cliff) and then buy a slug barrel for it to swap out for deer hunting. Lethal combo if you find a gem hiding on the used rack somewhere. May even be able to find an 870 with both barrels as a used package, I've seen it before.

Comment

Mossberg 500 Field and Deer combo. Will come with both a smooth barrel(turkey, squirrels, rabbits, etc.) and a rifled barrel for shooting slugs(deer and other big game). Should be well under your $500 limit(I've seen them for as low as $350), so you could even have money left over to buy a scope to mount onto the rifled barrel for deer hunting.

Comment

whoa back '''' these guns mentioned are gr8 guns, but not right for a novice. S ingle barrel shot gun , no less than 20 guage for deer slugs. they are a lot safer to handle, and will cause you to make each shot count. Once you master one skill you can develop others.

Comment

All great guns mentioned so far and I have hunted with all of them. I am partial to a Browning BPS, so I'll throw that one in too. I also think 6phunter is making a great point. I am what I would consider a decent shot and I have always given the credit to the fact that I started with a single shot H&R.

Comment

Joe, it all depends also what size and how old you are. First, you want to figure out if your body can take the abuse of a twelve gauge as a novice hunter. That being said, a used 16 gauge is a gem in the water. Although if you are looking for something you can handle and also shoot alot for practice, check out a 20 gauge. Now all that being said, I do agree in a good old fashioned 870, and agree that a used gun is a wise choice at first. One thing you don't wanna rule out....a H&R single shot shotgun. Low maintenance, a hammer so you know that you know for sure the shotgun is on "safe" or not, they come tapped for chokes and a nice recoil pad on the back. I'm a firm believer in "one shot one kill" and that gun is exactly that. It's light, dependable, very affordable, and newer models don't look too bad on the eyes too. As my buddy puts it, a pipe with a trigger (that's all you need).

Comment

Thank you all for your answers so far, Just an FYI I am 25 years old, and have some experience shooting guns. I own a .22 and have shot it quite a bit backyard target shooting, just have never hunted.

Comment

Consider a gas auto loader, 12 gauge with screw in chokes. These are softer shooting and the chokes will allow you to use the gun for a variety of game.
                  Single shots, doubles and pumps felt recoil can be brutal when shooting magnum loads.
                  If you want to experience the challenge of a single shot; just load one shell at a time.
                  later
                  charlie

Comment

I would advise against a 16 gauge for a beginner, not because it's not a great gauge (it is), but because the shells can be very hard to find, which could be frustrating for an inexperienced shooter. If your main targets are going to be deer and turkey, I would second JM's suggestion of the Mossberg 500 combo. You can't beat it for value, and the 500 is a very durable gun. 20 gauge is fine for deer, but a little light for turkey, so I would go for a 12 gauge (I think the 500 combo is only offered in 12 anyway).

Comment

Hi...

It sounds like you're looking for a one-size-fits-all type of shotgun. If so, I would recomend a 12 guage shotgun. Single shot, double barrel, pump or autoloader...which ever one fits your budget.

And don't be afraid to try the single shot, either...a lot of game are harvested with one. And it only takes a couple of seconds to reload...!!

Hope you get lots of turkey and deer with it...!!

Comment

Hi...

JM...did I really read you right...recommending a rifled barrel for shooting rifled shotgun slugs...??

Just wonderin'...!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X