Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyler, I read your article about the three calibers to take on Alaska. I recently moved to Kodiak and currently carry a .300WM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyler, I read your article about the three calibers to take on Alaska. I recently moved to Kodiak and currently carry a .300WM.

Tyler, I read your article about the three calibers to take on Alaska. I recently moved to Kodiak and currently carry a .300WM. I'm really interested in downgrading to the lighter and more accurate 6.5 Creedmoor. My hunting partner carries a .338WM so aside from bear defense, is the 6.5C a good all-around gun for deer and caribou; with the possibility of elk and mountain goat too? Doesn't seem to be a popular caliber here in AK. Thanks.

I know I'm not Tyler, but here is a quote directly off of Hornady's website.
    "Loaded with both the new 120 grain GMX® and the venerable 129 grain SST®, the 6.5 Creedmoor brings a world of precision-based performance to the hunting arena, and it’s light recoil make it a DREAM to shoot for extended periods. It’s perfect for any North American game up to and including Elk."

Comment

I'm not Tyler either (obviously!), but I would just add that if the 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is hard to find in AK, it might not be the best choice if you're going to be living there.

Comment

thanks for the input guys..and for the question akfowler. I think the 6.5 is an awesome cartridge for AK. I would use it on anything including moose or interior grizzlies. I just returned from Kodiak/Afognak last night actually. I just took my bow this time, but last year that 6.5 absolutely hammered the deer. The best option for ammo is to hand load. using hornady's superformance powder you can get some outstanding velocities from that little round. even with a 300WM, you might not put a goat down on the spot, but the 6.5 would be just fine. I killed a big billy this year with a .25-06. The creedmoor is shorter with a heavier, better B.C., and almost as high velocity. I think it's a good choice.

Comment

From what I have read you can duplicate the factory loads when handloading. I would check Hornady's website for load information with this round. I've owned a 264 Win Mag since 1970 and my best accuracy and all round performance has come with 140 grain bullets.

Comment

Thanks Tyler for your input. @huntfishtrap, the ammo is readily available here in Kodiak surprisingly, but I understand what your saying. Thanks guys.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
              by jhjimbo
              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
            • Spur of the moment rifle
              by Amflyer
              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
            • The $20 Shooting Shack
              by fitch270
              So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
              09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
            • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
              by dewman
              one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
              09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
            • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
              by dewman
              So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
              09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X