Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being over the hill as it were, I need glasses. The problem is that many binoculars require one to remove their glasses to use t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being over the hill as it were, I need glasses. The problem is that many binoculars require one to remove their glasses to use t

Being over the hill as it were, I need glasses. The problem is that many binoculars require one to remove their glasses to use them. Bummer when game is approaching or you just want to scout the next plot, etc. I've read many "test reports" in various publications and none cover this issue. Suppose the writers are all blessed with 20/20? So who makes median priced binoculars for folks so they don't need to remove their glasses?

On many of the new binoculars you can roll the rubber on the eyepieces forward and use them with your glasses just fine. It works for me.

Comment

I know two years ago when I bought a new pair I saw a pair designed for people with glasses at a Bushnell shop.

Comment

I do the same as DSMbirddog roll the excess rubber on the eyepiece forward so you can place the binos flat against the lenses of your glasses.
        BTW; wearing glasses does not mean I am over the hill.;-)
        later,
        charlie

Comment

Nikon makes a good mid-level bino. $200-300 with the roll down eye cups previously mentioned.

Comment

I've worn glasses pretty much all my life and haven't found it to be a problem. My Nikon Monarchs have eyepieces that screw in and out to accomodate my glasses and my other other binoculars work with the rubber eye cups as mentioned.

Comment

great question ebywye, and these guys pretty much have it nailed down.. pretty much all of the brands of binos I have used have either the flexible rubber cups that can be rolled back or twist out cups. I use them with sunglasses a lot in the screwed "in" position and it seems to work pretty well!

Comment

Just having roll down eye cups or the twist down variety does not always mean that the glass is suitable for use with spectacles. You want to look at the eye relief numbers. This is usually in mm. I have to ALWAYS wear glasses if I want to do just about anything. I have found that eye relief of minimum 17 mm is suitable but 19-22 is preferred. This excludes many of the excellent mid priced glasses from Nikon, Steiner, and Zeiss Conquest and also most of the high end glasses from Swarovski. Also keep in mind that the higher the magnification, the lesser the eye relief seems to be. It matters not a bit when the glasses have a very wide field of view if you cannot make use of all of it.
                My go to glasses are Carl Zeiss Jena NVA 7x40. These are East German surplus binos and are excellent yet heavy and the coatings have fallen behind modern glass. But they have 22mm of eye relief.
                In mid priced binos (under 1200 bucks) look the excellent Pentax SP DCF 8x43. These should be around $550-650 The same model in ED glass is closer to 1000 bucks. Also the Meopta Meostar 8x42, Brunton Epoch series. and the Vortex razor. All have at least 17mm eye relief with the Pentax being the longest

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget