Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a kindof new hunter does anyone have advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a kindof new hunter does anyone have advice?

I'm a kindof new hunter does anyone have advice?

Learn as much as you can before you ever go into the field or woods. Study up on what you will be hunting. Learn all you can about the animal and its habitat. Spend time at the gun range, become a good shot. You do not want to wound an animal. Clean kills are best. Most of all be safe. Know what you are shooting at and what is behind it. Have fun.

Comment

Keep reading and asking questions. You are on the right web site. I've been hunting for more than 30 years and these guys make me feel like a beginner.
      After you've done your research and practice, I think the most important thing is to wait for your shot. If you don't feel 100% confident that you can get a clean kill, don't shoot.
      Also, don't get discouraed. This is not an easy game. That's why people continue to do it for years and years. Just spend as much time in the field as possible and have fun!

Comment

I've hunted my whole life and am still learning. There are no stupid questions and the folks on here will pick up on your lack of experience and be glad to help you out. Don't get to sensitive though, answers are usually short and to the point.

Comment

Make sure you've had a safety course and are proficient with your chosen firearm or archery equuipment. Read the hunting mags and whatever books you can find on the subject (I wouldn't pay too much attention to 95% of the videos out there) and go hunting as often as you can. If you can find an experienced companion, that's great---if not, the game will teach you what you need to know, but it may take a while. Welcome to the club and I hope you get as much out of hunting as we have.

Comment

One other important thing is to know the game laws where you hunt.

Comment

HUNT INTO THE WIND, PRACTICE WITH YOUR WEPONS LOTS, DOEN'T BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT A BIT BECAUSE YOU DOEN'T JUST KNOW WHAT EACH ANIMAL LIKES. ONE GREAT ATRACTANT FOR DEER IS PEANUT BUTTER WITH I FOUND OUT DEER LOVE LAST YEAR
              BIG RED

Comment

The only hunters who don't learn something every time they go out are the ones who don't go out. I turned 60 last year and I learn something every time I go out hunting.
                Be open to learn and remember anyone who tries to tell you he knows everything there is to know doesn't know how much he doesn't know. Those people are more dangerous than anything else.
                I will not quit learning until I am either unconscious or dead. Often times I am confronted with evidence of things about hunting that I thought I knew that just wasn't so.
                If you mess up, you are in good company, we all have messed up. Learn from your mistakes and grow from the experience.
                Good luck.

Comment

I aint got too much experience myself but i have learned a lot from my uncle and my grandfather and the thing I hear the most is you got to be quiet and keep your eyes open. Dont get to extremely excited when you here something loud because most of the time a something as small as a squirrel is louder than a deer. Learn your gun, practice for a while and keep your gun in top condition. Also you want to know the land your gonna be hunting and if possible you might want to put a trailcamera somewhere around your hunting location so that you can know whats around there. But dont check the camera too often about once a week or once every two weeks is good no more than once a week though.

Comment

join a gun club /engage a respectful mentor;

Comment

watch hunting shows on tv

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                        by Scott123
                        Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                        Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                      • Blade Stain
                        by jhjimbo
                        Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                        Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                      • Home Defense
                        by jhjimbo
                        If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                        10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                      • Pay it forward
                        by fitch270
                        I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                        10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                      • Reloading Gear Order
                        by fitch270
                        I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                        10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X