Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you kill turkeys effectively with a 20 gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you kill turkeys effectively with a 20 gauge?

Can you kill turkeys effectively with a 20 gauge?

i have killed 2 of my 3 with a 20 gauge. i would not reccomend shooting past 20 yards though. i graduated to 12 gauges for the extra range.

Comment

Eight to nine pellets are required for a clean effective harvest...probably why the turkey chokes and the 3 1/2 loads hve become so common

Comment

Short answer, yes. Long answer, you need to get the turkeys closer and aim very carefully.

Comment

I would like to add that patterning your shotgun with your chosen load is always a good idea.... with a life size target of the "harvest zone" so a 10 ga -- 12 ga -- 20 ga will give you a idea of performance

Comment

Mesarich has it right. Use the twenty within its limitations (range, shot size, etc.) and it will kill turkeys for you. Personally, I don't see why someone would handicap themselves and/or take a chance on crippling a gobbler with a twenty when the twelve does so much better. Good luck.

Comment

Foot-in-mouth again. Of course you might use a twenty for a youngster or someone who is recoil sensitive.

Comment

Absolutely. A 20 gauge prepped for turkeys can cleanly take a gobbler out to about 30 yards. Use 3" shell #6 "heavy shot" type, a turkey choke (there are many good ones available) and spend some range time patterning with different shells to find the best for your chosen gun.
                In my humble opinion some turkey hunters over-gun and are missing out on the finer points of the hunt.
                Have fun out there.
                later,
                charlie

Comment

yeah you can kill em with the 20 guage if they aint to far off. Like Smitty18 said about 20 yards is about as far off as they can be for an effective shot. Ive seen alot of turkey during deer season in Va but I havent had any within 35 yards but i wasnt calling them in though>

Comment

Yes,a twenty Gauge is more than adequate for Turkeys. My Brother killed turkeys for over twenty years with a 20 gauge. With today's new turkey chokes and modern "turkey Loads" ammo, a Twenty Gauge is very effective even out past 30 yards. Ive seen some 20 gauges out pattern a 12 gauge at 30 yards. Many of today's pro turkey hunters have switched and shoot 20 gauges for TV hunts all over America.

Comment

Here is a 20 gauge turkey pattern taken at a Tape Measure 40 yards.. It will best all but only the 12 gauges shooting the best Ammo..

Rem 870 20gauge
                      SSX 550 Choke Tube
                      Nitro Company 7s
                      238 in a ten Inch Circle

Comment

Ok how to post a pic

Comment

I use my 20 gauge all the time to kill turkeys with a super full choke and my red dot scope shooting 3 inch 6 shot out to 50 yards in the right conditions it's more better than any 12 gauge I own

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                            by Scott123
                            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                            Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                          • Blade Stain
                            by jhjimbo
                            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                            Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                          • Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X