Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking forward to seeing trail cam photos of the "belly dragger" black bear this year. The monster boar is still alive and he eats from my legal bait pile. This year he should be even bigger yet. My problem is, he moves only during the safety o

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dewman View Post
    If you dump a bag of salt on your bait pile and the next day your bear is laying dead from a stroke, would that be poaching?
    Is there something you need to confess to, DeW?

Comment

That is one fat bear

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
        This is not a sow carrying young Cubs. It's a huge male.
        Here are two night trail cam photos posted below.
        The first photo was taken on Halloween night of 2014. Trick or Treat!
        Notice the short nose muzzle.
        Giant tree trunk legs.
        Hanging stomach.
        New Jersey Game biologists call these monster black bears, belly draggers.
        Gary
        Would need to field dress and take out in pieces

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          That bear looks like he's been living the good life. As far as tracking him goes, I think it's worth a shot. You can't kill something while sitting on a stand if it's not moving in legal shooting hours, so I would force the issue in that situation. Just be careful, and use enough gun.

On a related note, I was listening to the radio while driving to work yesterday, and the guest happened to be a representative from HSUS. He was ranting on and on about how unethical and unsporting hunting bears over bait was, and how it and hunting them with dogs should be banned. And I'm not even going to repeat the drivel he poured out about wolf hunting. And all the while he was insisting that HSUS wasn't opposed to all hunting, as long as it was done "responsibly" and only for the meat. Right. I only listened because I like to hear what position the opposition is coming from, but by the end of the drive I think my blood pressure had doubled. You just can't reason with some people.
          Agreed HFT. It would be a waste of time to attempt reason with some people ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
            Definitely an AMERICAN black bear, haha. I kinda want to see it run. Sometimes you have to get creative and think outside of the norm to get to a specific animal. I don't see how your plan could mess anything up, so I'd say it is worth a try.
            One can but dream

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
              Tracking a GIANT black bear to his den? Lol, I think you got some cojones LovesOutdoors.
              Going to be hard to do three quick shots with that muzzleloader...

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                If you dump a bag of salt on your bait pile and the next day your bear is laying dead from a stroke, would that be poaching?
                That bear is already probably eating potato chips and other junk food, so maybe you are on to something there!

Comment

"To stalk a bear is to employ every hunting skill you possess. You must play the wind, as black bears have prodigiously sharp noses. You must walk silently, as their triangular ears are keen and stereophonic. You may fool a bear’s myopic sight, but if its other senses detect your approach, you won’t get close to these remarkably adaptable, hardy, and savvy animals."

Comment

I think the objection to baiting for bears is that it seems like shooting a dog at his dinner dish.
                    But the requirement that the bait be at least 100 yards from the hunter's stand merely places the hunter at a point in the bear's travel route.
                    Just my two cents.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget