Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking forward to seeing trail cam photos of the "belly dragger" black bear this year. The monster boar is still alive and he eats from my legal bait pile. This year he should be even bigger yet. My problem is, he moves only during the safety o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking forward to seeing trail cam photos of the "belly dragger" black bear this year. The monster boar is still alive and he eats from my legal bait pile. This year he should be even bigger yet. My problem is, he moves only during the safety o

I am looking forward to seeing trail cam photos of the "belly dragger" black bear this year. The monster boar is still alive and he eats from my legal bait pile. This year he should be even bigger yet. My problem is, he moves only during the safety of darkness. I was thinking of tracking him to his bed, if there is a fresh snow the night before. What do you guys think?

This is not a sow carrying young Cubs. It's a huge male.
    Here are two night trail cam photos posted below.
    The first photo was taken on Halloween night of 2014. Trick or Treat!
    Notice the short nose muzzle.
    Giant tree trunk legs.
    Hanging stomach.
    New Jersey Game biologists call these monster black bears, belly draggers.
    Gary
    Attached Files

Comment

That bear looks like he's been living the good life. As far as tracking him goes, I think it's worth a shot. You can't kill something while sitting on a stand if it's not moving in legal shooting hours, so I would force the issue in that situation. Just be careful, and use enough gun.

On a related note, I was listening to the radio while driving to work yesterday, and the guest happened to be a representative from HSUS. He was ranting on and on about how unethical and unsporting hunting bears over bait was, and how it and hunting them with dogs should be banned. And I'm not even going to repeat the drivel he poured out about wolf hunting. And all the while he was insisting that HSUS wasn't opposed to all hunting, as long as it was done "responsibly" and only for the meat. Right. I only listened because I like to hear what position the opposition is coming from, but by the end of the drive I think my blood pressure had doubled. You just can't reason with some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
        Giant tree trunk legs.
        Hanging stomach.
        Gary
        Approximately how old do you think a bear like that might be?

Comment

Definitely an AMERICAN black bear, haha. I kinda want to see it run. Sometimes you have to get creative and think outside of the norm to get to a specific animal. I don't see how your plan could mess anything up, so I'd say it is worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
            Definitely an AMERICAN black bear, haha. I kinda want to see it run. Sometimes you have to get creative and think outside of the norm to get to a specific animal. I don't see how your plan could mess anything up, so I'd say it is worth a try.
            Lol, good one. I'm not sure it could run, but on the other hand I sure wouldn't want it chasing me.

Comment

Tracking a GIANT black bear to his den? Lol, I think you got some cojones LovesOutdoors.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
                Tracking a GIANT black bear to his den? Lol, I think you got some cojones LovesOutdoors.
                Where the heck do you find all these? They're hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                  That bear looks like he's been living the good life. As far as tracking him goes, I think it's worth a shot. You can't kill something while sitting on a stand if it's not moving in legal shooting hours, so I would force the issue in that situation. Just be careful, and use enough gun.

On a related note, I was listening to the radio while driving to work yesterday, and the guest happened to be a representative from HSUS. He was ranting on and on about how unethical and unsporting hunting bears over bait was, and how it and hunting them with dogs should be banned. And I'm not even going to repeat the drivel he poured out about wolf hunting. And all the while he was insisting that HSUS wasn't opposed to all hunting, as long as it was done "responsibly" and only for the meat. Right. I only listened because I like to hear what position the opposition is coming from, but by the end of the drive I think my blood pressure had doubled. You just can't reason with some people.
                  The Humane Society tried to ban trapping bear, hunting bears over bait and hunting bears with hounds in the state of Maine. These nitwits were able to put it on the election ballot. The Mainr residents voted the ban down. There nothing wrong with hunting bear over bait just asked Tyler in Alaska.

Comment

Big bears like to stand up and see what's coming. They are fat so they would rather walk away instead of running. I should get three good Texas Heart shots at his butt. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                      Giant tree trunk legs.
                      Hanging stomach.
                      Gary
                      My 2011 bear was 2 1/2 years old and weight 250 pounds. If you double my numbers a 5 year old boar should weight 500 pounds. I think the bear in the trail camera photos I posted weights between five and six hundred pounds. I will need a backhoe or a front end loader to get him out of the woods.

Comment

BTW, I Loved your two comics. LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                          I read a story where a bear hunter in North Carolina tracked a giant bear. It got up from its bed and stared at the Hunter. The hunter dropped him. Maybe it can happen for me also.

Comment

If you dump a bag of salt on your bait pile and the next day your bear is laying dead from a stroke, would that be poaching?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              If you dump a bag of salt on your bait pile and the next day your bear is laying dead from a stroke, would that be poaching?
                              What??

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
                              • A question of standing.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
                                The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
                                Could this...
                                08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
                              • Cashier problem.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
                                You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
                                08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X