Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got my first compound bow, bought second hand. I've been trying to get out every couple days, but seem to be running int

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got my first compound bow, bought second hand. I've been trying to get out every couple days, but seem to be running int

I just got my first compound bow, bought second hand. I've been trying to get out every couple days, but seem to be running into some issues. For example, the guy threw in some carbon arrows and it had a whisker buiscuit (WB). However, when I draw the bow back, the field tip comes back INTO the WB...like the arrow is an inch too short for the draw length of the bow. This seems like this would be problematic with a broadhead as it may catch or sink into the WB. Also, yesterday, the string came off after I released an arrow! The string and pulley "hooks" seem in good shape, it just came off. So I'm starting to wonder if this 2nd hand bow has more issues than my nieve-self realized...any thoughts on other critical things I should check to ensure proper operation? Thanks a lot.

First off, the arrow is definitely too short for the draw length. I don't know the exact recommendation as to how much arrow should stick out the end but I leave almost 2 inches of arrow shaft beyond my rest (which happens to be a whisker bisquit) at full draw. As far as the string coming off, you should definitely take the bow into a good technician and let him go through all the hardware to ensure everything is tightened down properly, limb bolts, pulleys, etc... Hope you didn't get stuck with a lemmon. Best of luck.

Comment

I shoot a whisker biscuit and i cut my arrows to the end of my riser it does fine. If your shooting fingers instead of a release you could have twisted your hand and pulled the string off. Shoot a release it improves your shooting skills and accuracy.

Comment

Definitely take it in to get it checked out and adjusted. And don't try to shoot the short arrows - results can be catastrophic. There were good deals on arrows at Bass Pro and Cabela's recently.

Comment

dont EVER shoot a used bow without getting it checked out i got a used i was lucky while i shot it without it cheked i got it checked and it had bad cables and a bad string

Comment

Buying a 2nd hand bow I say “Buyer beware!” I would take it all to a reputable bow shop and let the Bow Smith take a look at it. Sounds like the bow has the wrong diameter string or the cams are out of alignment. But the bottom line, take it to a shop and let them do a scratch and sniff and trouble shoot it and yes your arrows are too short. The new rest sets forward than the original or previous rest.

Comment

Dont shoot the bow till you have it checked by a pro. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed and you'll soon be out zippin arrows into the bullseye. If the bow isnt restorable, get a new boy if your finances allow, you'll never regret buying a new bow. dont give up on used bows as great used bows can be found, some can be bought at archery shops. Pawn shops have numbers of great bows today with these tougher times. Take another bowhunter with you while looking at bows from a pawn shop to help pick out a good one. Never pay the askiing price, offer 50% for a start and haggle to a fair price. good luck and hunt safe.

Comment

You need a technician. Hands down. You might be able to use your arrows with an overdraw, but I doubt the arrows even match the equipment. I buy used bows just because I'm a hunting pack-rat, but very few of them (at discount price) are ready to fire without an overhaul suited to me. Chances are you got a good deal...now you just have to improve the package.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                  by Ernie
                  I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                  hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                  10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X