Still shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still shooting

Practicing down in basement. Max range without shooting at something important is like 8.5 to 9 yards, so not a good indication of any accuracy.

I did bump up the poundage of my bow after a couple of weeks. Think I'm getting a little stronger

I know there's more to hunting than just accurate shots, but if I stayed calm and picked a good angle I feel like I'd do OK out to 25 yds or so if I could be consistent...this was my best target though.

But I don't even have broadheads, and now with the draw wt higher, I'm probably not sighted in anymore.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Figure about 3lbs of draw weight added per one turn on each limb. Couple cranks won’t change anything too much but yeah, you’ll probably have to tweak the sight some. Smooth draw is important, excess movement gets you busted. Inside 25 yards you won’t need a crazy amount of poundage. Basement deal is good for building muscle memory and a consistent anchor point.

Hmmm, just occurred to me your deer are generally bigger overall than ours. Still won’t need a lot of poundage for a flat trajectory but can’t hurt for penetration. Along those lines I’d forget mechanicals and stick with a good fixed. I’m still an old school Muzzy fan.

Holding out for anything special or taking the first good opportunity? It’s pleasantly frustrating how close you’ll come sometimes without being able to let one fly.

Comment

Why can’t you practice outside? Are you inner city?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        Figure about 3lbs of draw weight added per one turn on each limb. Couple cranks won’t change anything too much but yeah, you’ll probably have to tweak the sight some. Smooth draw is important, excess movement gets you busted. Inside 25 yards you won’t need a crazy amount of poundage. Basement deal is good for building muscle memory and a consistent anchor point.

Hmmm, just occurred to me your deer are generally bigger overall than ours. Still won’t need a lot of poundage for a flat trajectory but can’t hurt for penetration. Along those lines I’d forget mechanicals and stick with a good fixed. I’m still an old school Muzzy fan.

Holding out for anything special or taking the first good opportunity? It’s pleasantly frustrating how close you’ll come sometimes without being able to let one fly.
        Was looking at Muzzy. I'm going to stay away from mechanical for now.

3 blade, 4 blade, or the trocars?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          Why can’t you practice outside? Are you inner city?
          Nebraska is still pretty friendly for most anything hunting related, but we have a local ordinance that makes airguns, slingshot and archery the same as discharging a bow in city limits. Whatever.

I'm less than 10 minutes from my gun and archery range, but I like to drop downstairs in the basement and do a little practice after supper.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Nebraska is still pretty friendly for most anything hunting related, but we have a local ordinance that makes airguns, slingshot and archery the same as discharging a bow in city limits. Whatever.

I'm less than 10 minutes from my gun and archery range, but I like to drop downstairs in the basement and do a little practice after supper.
            I see. Yep, same circumstances I’d do the same

Comment

I’ve been running the standard 125gr 3 blade for a few years. My draw length and poundage puts me right in between shaft sizes for the arrows I have and after reading some of CD2’s posts bumped from 100’s to the 125’s and found they flew better. More consistent at least.

So many choices these days but the Muzzys are rugged, easy to assemble and replacement blades reasonably priced. As long as the fly decent for you they’ll work well.

6A001E7C-3C1B-4AA1-97F4-F0F018E6F795.jpg

A5FBDB46-59B4-44EE-9D1E-8C9866F35B5A.jpg

Comment

Comment

Maybe you can practice here, amflyer!

https://citizenfreepress.com/breakin...sh-special/​

Comment

I found some of the new Bear Razorheads.
                    70 bucks for 3 !

But thats 9 ferrules and 3 field points and 3 broadheads ( tips screw onto ferrules ).
                    150, 175 and 200 gr depending on ferrule.

Still have my G5 Striker 125gr for my Hoyt Torrex.
                    Still have my Cutthroat single bevel 125's for recurve.

May have given away some fixed blades to guys that didn't plan ahead well. Heck I dunno what all I have laying around.
                    Well scratch that, there are some G5 Montec 125s in stainless, not the carbon steel.............and those are more for varmints.
                    I really dont care for the 60 degree blade angle. Think it chops more than slices......but thats just me.

Could be wrong about that. Killed deer w Montec and Snuffer SS (same 60 degree edge). Worked but am kinda high strung and like more barn paint on the ground.

Still not in the best of shape, mentally or physically. Just worn out. Hot summer of work took it out of me.
                    Not really getting my practice in like I should.

BUT...............I don't get wound up about bow season til Halloween

Comment

Not sure how I did this...does this count as doing the Robin Hood thing? Outside this time.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nope. Busting a nock is closer but you need one sticking out of another for it to count.

Have done it a few times but the best was on a 3D course taking out the guy’s arrow who shot right before me. Fortunately he was in the ten ring.

Tight groups get expensive, start shooting different spots.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          Tight groups get expensive, start shooting different spots.
                          Nice part about having an archery range near. I shoot their targets.

Comment

Oh, well in that case…..

Comment

I guess you mean expensive by way of arrows, now that I think about it. I was thinking wearing out the target block.

I see what you mean.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget