X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    Shoulder doc says much improved. Can stop going to PT and just do at home. Didnt ask if I could shoot bow. He didnt tell me not to LOL
    So.if gun season ends poorly i will hang a stand by creek and get a couple days of bow in before end of year.
    Good deal, good luck and take care.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Shoulder doc says much improved. Can stop going to PT and just do at home. Didnt ask if I could shoot bow. He didnt tell me not to LOL
    So.if gun season ends poorly i will hang a stand by creek and get a couple days of bow in before end of year.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Getting down to the wire with bow season and it’s not looking good. The Kid saw two small bucks and a doe Saturday morning, same deer he’s been seeing right along. Since then he’s seen nothing, Sunday AM and PM plus yesterday and today after school. I sat Saturday afternoon as well as Sunday morning and afternoon and saw nothing either. A couple farms about a half mile down the road still have standing corn so that could have something to do with it. We have had a doe and her twin fawns right down by the house regularly, I’m surprised no bucks have been checking them.

Odd thing is there’s not much sign around either. We’ve found only two rubs so far and that’s after setting the Kid up in a climber higher up on the hill Sunday afternoon. Both kids and I did some last minute preparations on the new shack to be ready for Saturday’s gun opener then we ran him up in the buggy so he didn’t have to carry everything up. Picked out a decent spot with some natural shooting lanes and got him settled in. I told him to try using the rattling antlers, grunt tube and/or bleat can every half hour or so. Three and a half hours and nothing.

Ended up putting a double layer of rug on the shack floor and stapled up some cardboard on the back wall for now. The carpet was to quiet the floor down and block some air movement. The cardboard was also to block some draft and light from coming through the cracks between the deck board siding. Not sure if I’ll add more cardboard for next year or try finding something more substantial. If the mice don’t chew it up I’ll probably just use more cardboard and replace as necessary. I was surprised how much adding the carpet and closing up one full wall muffled the noise inside. There’s no loud echo if you bump something. Lastly we swapped out a swivel office chair that was in there for another patio chair with rubber strapping for the seat and back. The office chair was very comfortable but it would pop and creak pretty bad sometimes when you shifted your weight. The patio chair is silent so should be better. We have some cushions hanging inside which the mice have left alone so far. Once the season is over I’ll bring them back to the garage.

My daughter and I will be back in there Saturday morning, the Kid plans on sitting up top watching a flat that’s been productive over the past several years. Doesn’t look like there’s much in the way of acorns up there but it can be a good spot for a buck cruising for does or sometimes pushing one in.

The girl still isn’t sure she wants to fill her buck tag, I guess we’ll have to figure that out if an opportunity presents itself. What’s going to be tough is deciding to fill does tags early on or not. I don’t have an issue with it but tend to like to hold off, I’d rather have a few up there while the rut is on. If we can fill a couple buck tags I’d give the does a pass.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    I shoulda got a meat lovers pizza and a pitcher of beer to celebrate the gastro doc saying " everything looks normal " after 2 freakin months to get in.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Shoulder still not right. Quit taking anti inflams to see if that helps the belly get to 100%.
    Doc visit next week, see if MRI next.
    Im still messed up but pain goes to about half of what it used to.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Mayo at a burger joint nailed me. No hospital req.
    Waited a yr to re visit that place, and dang if they didn't nail me again.

Kid got nailed by sour cream at a taco place. Hers bad enough to need ER.

Had some Grillers, didn't feel right. Chilidogs at local hotspot, kinda famous...........took antacid at work later.
    Something not right.

Ended up getting driven to ER w gallbladder attack. 3 hrs there, before they gave me anything for the pain.
    What a cluster you know what.

Docs prescribed stomach stuff. WTH.
    Friggin eyes were half yellow next day.

2 months to get to gastro. He was shocked at the wait. Told him his office set it up.
    He then said since Im now a patient of his, next attack, call him and not go to ER.

Uh, hopefully there isn't another attack. Hell I thought I had a 2nd infected appendix needing removed LOL

Still have some less than stellar days, nothing bad............but have not been 100% since. Took 3 weeks to be 75%.
    Can eat whatever now, but just aint right.

Been avoiding mayo and sour cream, and chilidogs LOL

Sweet and Sour Chicken from a Chinese place got me and another guy about thirty years ago. Him worse than me.

I still order the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Mayo at a burger joint nailed me. No hospital req.
    Waited a yr to re visit that place, and dang if they didn't nail me again.

Kid got nailed by sour cream at a taco place. Hers bad enough to need ER.

Had some Grillers, didn't feel right. Chilidogs at local hotspot, kinda famous...........took antacid at work later.
    Something not right.

Ended up getting driven to ER w gallbladder attack. 3 hrs there, before they gave me anything for the pain.
    What a cluster you know what.

Docs prescribed stomach stuff. WTH.
    Friggin eyes were half yellow next day.

2 months to get to gastro. He was shocked at the wait. Told him his office set it up.
    He then said since Im now a patient of his, next attack, call him and not go to ER.

Uh, hopefully there isn't another attack. Hell I thought I had a 2nd infected appendix needing removed LOL

Still have some less than stellar days, nothing bad............but have not been 100% since. Took 3 weeks to be 75%.
    Can eat whatever now, but just aint right.

Been avoiding mayo and sour cream, and chilidogs LOL

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    "Pink slime" was a big deal a few years back.
    Basically, bones were frozen and in that state, the bits and pieces of meat still attached, simply crumbled away. It was used in a variety of ways and was perfectly safe....until the American public discovered it was called "pink slime" and added to meat products as a filler.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Striated skeletal muscle tissue only.
    Wont eat liver, brains, kidneys or guts.
    Nope. Not gonna.

Avoid mayo and sour cream too

Really ups ones odds of survival.
    Could probably add hotdogs and ground beef to that list. And Chinese food.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    There was a guy up near Buffalo NY a few years back that died from eating squirrel brains. Same deal as CWD, Mad Cow and Scabies, just a different critter. Didn’t know it was a thing until hearing about him.

Ive had discussions with my aunt and father in law about stuff the old folks used to eat from the depression era. They didn’t waste much.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    The Truth About Mayonnaise and Food Safety | Epicurious

A seminal study from 2000 took a look at the fragility of mayonnaise and set the record straight: "Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, E. coli, L. monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, and Yersinia enterocolitica die when inoculated into mayonnaise and dressings."

"To put it just as plainly, but in layman's terms, store-bought mayonnaise contains enough acid (from vinegar or lemon juice) to not only kill food-borne pathogens, but also to prevent them from forming."

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Striated skeletal muscle tissue only.
    Wont eat liver, brains, kidneys or guts.
    Nope. Not gonna.

Avoid mayo and sour cream too

Really ups ones odds of survival.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I’ll keep note of that. We don’t freeze much small game other than turkeys, try to fix it up fresh usually. That could change.

BTW, Young jennies like you tagged are about as good eating as wild turkeys get. I’d like to try one in the smoker.
    You guys wouldn't have made it at my house! LOL!
    My dad and grandmother "loved" eating squirrel heads!
    Cheek meat first.
    Then pull the lower jaw off and eat the tongue.
    Last, use the heavy handle of a table knife to crack the skull and remove the brain was eaten in one bite.

Took a girlfriend home to have supper with the folks.
    She even ate the squirrel and dumplings, but when dad dug the head out of the pot, she was curious...until he cracked the skull with the knife! LOL!
    She almost lost it!

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    Whole squirrel carcasses are a waste of space.(in my opinion). I prefer all game parted out. Birds that I pluck are no problem(think chicken) but even then turkeys I part out and separate white and dark meat. A whole squirrel or rabbit carcass sounds unappetizing even to me.
    I’ll keep note of that. We don’t freeze much small game other than turkeys, try to fix it up fresh usually. That could change.

BTW, Young jennies like you tagged are about as good eating as wild turkeys get. I’d like to try one in the smoker.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    My dad and grandad never froze squirrels.
    My grandmother immediately made squirrel and dumplings or fried it.
    She would always select the biggest, toughest red (fox) squirrels in the pile.
    She cooked them tender with the dumplings.
    When she fried squirrel, it went from the frying pan to the pressure cooker where it was reduced to fried chicken tender.
    My dad always preferred the little grey (cat) squirrels. The little greys were tender, even fried.
    They never made it to the freezer.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun show today
    by fitch270
    Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
    08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
  • Beater .44 mag
    by CD2
    My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
    08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
  • Eatin ‘chuck
    by dewman
    Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
    08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
  • Parallax adj
    by CD2
    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
  • TriggerTech installed
    by fitch270
    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X