Season update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do 'yotes make good sausage! 😃

fitch270, the only thing better than taking a deer is the memories the three of you made! Burn up space in those journals!

Comment

End of October and no deer tagged yet. Still haven’t had any sign of the 6pt but I’m not surprised, a few years ago in a ground blind with the Kid I spooked a buck we were getting on a very nearby camera about every day and he never came back to that spot. I killed him a month later during rifle season.

I had a small 8pt come cruising behind me last night. He had that “I’m late” gait like he was looking for does but it’s possible he caught wind of me as well. I managed to stop him with my grunt tube but he only turned to look my way for a few seconds before continuing on his way. I’ve also seen a couple small bucks that don’t meet our antler restrictions. I haven’t been going out as much as usual, instead letting the Kid have the hill to himself weeknights when he can get out.

He’s getting a little frustrated because he’s been seeing deer almost every time out but nothing shootable. He had a small buck and a coyote under him tonight at the same time. The coyote moved on first and the buck came in broadside at ten yards.

It’s been a mostly beautiful October, even the rainy days have been warm. Usually we get frosts in September but we haven’t had one yet and there’s lots of food around this year so I don’t think the deer are moving much. The weather forecast looks like that’s going to change in a few days. We’ve had some scrapes around for several weeks but none that were serious looking, we found our first rub a couple days ago. Hopefully the buck I saw last night was looking for does, next weekend should be about prime time.

Comment

As long as you are seeing deer you're still in the game. It's all worth it when there's brown on the ground and that usually happens in the blink of an eye. Great weather here as well. I'm squirreled out for this year I think as I'm over 80 I believe(close to 50 in the freezer). I took a hen during the fall either sex October turkey season. No big story. I came walking out the logging trail to my truck (which was in sight) when a flock crossed right in front of me. Picked off a gawking straggler at maybe 15-20 yds. Was toting dads 20ga so that made it special. My face is in the pic so I'm not posting it. I'm hoisting it like a pheasant so that should tell you something about its size. Deer rifle in 2 weeks so I'll probably crow hunt a couple times and pond fish with minnows to see if any things biting. I've had lots of buck encounters in the woods but it's on the public where I hunt small game. We leave our deer spot be till after all the gun is over. Which reminds me. They opened our county up to the middle antlerless only season so I bought the extra doe only tag - $7. Stay safe

Comment

Just occurred to me I haven't seen a live coyote this fall.

Comment

Great update guys.
            About 2 weeks ago, I took a shot at a 200/250 pound feral with my EDC.
            The pig "acted" hit, but the oldest and me could never find blood, tracks or the hog. I dont eat them anyway! LOL! It came out of or was headed to my neighbors wheat pasture.
            Oh well!
            So much for my hunting this fall! At least I'm saving space in my journal! 😃🤔

Comment

Q: Do 'yotes make good sausage! 😃

A: NO! They can't read the spice labels! 😖

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                Just occurred to me I haven't seen a live coyote this fall.
                That’s not a bad thing. I just saw one working a field just after lunch time today, seemed pretty brazen.

Curious how you package all those squirrels in the freezer, wrapped or vacuum sealed, and individually or in amounts for recipes?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  Great update guys.
                  About 2 weeks ago, I took a shot at a 200/250 pound feral with my EDC.
                  The pig "acted" hit, but the oldest and me could never find blood, tracks or the hog. I dont eat them anyway! LOL! It came out of or was headed to my neighbors wheat pasture.
                  Oh well!
                  So much for my hunting this fall! At least I'm saving space in my journal! 😃🤔
                  How far away and what ammo?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

How far away and what ammo?
                    About 10/15 yards and Fed .40 S&W 200 gr HP.
                    Broadside and I went for the shoulder shot. Should have gone with the lung/chest shot.

Comment

That’s not a bad thing. I just saw one working a field just after lunch time today, seemed pretty brazen.

Curious how you package all those squirrels in the freezer, wrapped or vacuum sealed, and individually or in amounts for recipes?
                      Cut into quarters. Large majority have the front quarters trashed by the shot, especially a 22 (not a headshot or nothing type of guy) so I package 6 to 8 hind quarters together. Sometimes even 10. Gray's down here are a lot smaller than the fox squirrels of my Michigan youth. I don't dissect every scrap and morsel.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

Cut into quarters. Large majority have the front quarters trashed by the shot, especially a 22 (not a headshot or nothing type of guy) so I package 6 to 8 hind quarters together. Sometimes even 10. Gray's down here are a lot smaller than the fox squirrels of my Michigan youth. I don't dissect every scrap and morsel.
                        That makes sense.

The only squirrels I ever shot were a pair I killed just after I turned 16 (October birthday). I was dressed in old school camo and rode my bicycle through the village carrying my single shot 20ga H&R because I could finally hunt alone legally but had only just got my drivers permit. Brought them home and managed to stab myself in the leg while skinning one. Learned not to pull hide with your knife in hand. Ended up wrapping them in Saran Wrap for a few weeks before my mother made me cook them, they freaked her out when she’d get something out of the freezer. I pan fried them whole and probably over cooked them as well.

Very memorable and probably why I never shot anymore, lol!

Comment

Broadside and I went for the shoulder shot. Should have gone with the lung/chest shot.
                          Gotcha. 👍👍

Comment

Gotcha. 👍👍
                            Correction: bullet was a 180 grain JHP

Comment

Whole squirrel carcasses are a waste of space.(in my opinion). I prefer all game parted out. Birds that I pluck are no problem(think chicken) but even then turkeys I part out and separate white and dark meat. A whole squirrel or rabbit carcass sounds unappetizing even to me.

Comment

May not have penetrated deep enough but I'll bet it was still one hell of a wound. Yikes!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget