No announcement yet.

Season update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hanging on to my 2002 Xterra and recently did a tune-up. Much less cost than buying a new vehicle. Here's a photo from several season back...

Xterra reduced - Copy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
      But but but, what about all those camera stores in NY?
      Did you try Doug?

Comment

CLNY doesnt do camcorders. They had "reg cameras that do video (mirrorless?) but they be pricey.
        I'm waiting for Doug to get more Swaro Z3 2.5-10X scopes LOL

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          Up in my meadow looking down on edge of woods lying in my car, with heater and coffee. Using my 45-70 today.
          I am on the trail of this guy. Last pic is looking for rubs and scr IMG_1778.JPG cadiznight.jpg Jim with glock.JPG apes

Comment

Good luck tomorrow Fitches. Whack n' stack!

Comment

Quiet this morning, except for the geese overhead. We only saw one doe, the Kid saw no deer from his stand. He did have a big grey squirrel run up his tree and sit on a branch about two feet from his face, he thought that was pretty cool.

We’re heading up a bit early this afternoon so I can situate the interior of the shack a bit better. We need a piece of carpet on the floor and something to cover the door window, plus there are some old screw holes in the reused metal roofing that need plugging. Nothing major, just some buttoning up. My daughter has a book to read for English class so this will be a good opportunity for her to do that while dad keeps an eye out.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                Quiet this morning, except for the geese overhead. We only saw one doe, the Kid saw no deer from his stand. He did have a big grey squirrel run up his tree and sit on a branch about two feet from his face, he thought that was pretty cool.

We’re heading up a bit early this afternoon so I can situate the interior of the shack a bit better. We need a piece of carpet on the floor and something to cover the door window, plus there are some old screw holes in the reused metal roofing that need plugging. Nothing major, just some buttoning up. My daughter has a book to read for English class so this will be a good opportunity for her to do that while dad keeps an eye out.
                I had an old long sleeve, camo tee that had seen better days. I cut it up and made "sorta" curtains out of it. Worked real well.

Bummer on the morning hunt. But hey, that's why it's called "hunting", not "killing"!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I had an old long sleeve, camo tee that had seen better days. I cut it up and made "sorta" curtains out of it. Worked real well.

Bummer on the morning hunt. But hey, that's why it's called "hunting", not "killing"!
                  I’m actually good with how the morning went. Weather was low 50’s, cool but not cold and a comfortable sit. Some other viewing activity would have been nice but having to put some time in is a good thing in the long run. Far too much instant gratification goes on in life these days, which adds to the entitlement mindset of too many. Better to have to earn it, even if it is just sitting still for a few hours.

Comment

Just settled in for the afternoon/evening.

90A22E56-0412-48B7-A6DC-45828419F85B.jpeg

Comment

Got good vibes about this afternoon, fitch270! 😉!

Comment

Just settled in for the afternoon/evening.

90A22E56-0412-48B7-A6DC-45828419F85B.jpeg
                        🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Comment

I'm hoping, since you haven't checked in yet, that you're busy processing. 😃

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            I'm hoping, since you haven't checked in yet, that you're busy processing. 😃
                            Unfortunately no. Just got down off the hill a few minutes ago, have my birthday cake to eat so I’ll follow up later.

Could have been worse I think.

Comment

Unfortunately no. Just got down off the hill a few minutes ago, have my birthday cake to eat so I’ll follow up later.

Could have been worse I think.
                              Well, shucky darn!
                              That's okay.
                              There is always tomorrow.

OH!
                              BTW!

Happy burp day to you🎵
                              Happy burp day to you🥳
                              Happy burp day to yoouuu🎂
                              Happy burp day to you!! 🍾

(...and many more!) 🙂
                              Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-09-2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Ok, here we go.

So getting back up early didn’t really help, after sitting three hours the 6pt showed up just after 6:00pm. He was at the bottom of the meadow to the right of the shack, I could see him through the slits between the boards. I motioned to my daughter and she had a straight look down at him. The buck was feeding so I got her on the gun and told her to get ready. He kept changing angles so I explained where to hold depending on how he was facing. All at once he turned completely broadside. I asked if she wanted the scope turned up some, it was on 4x and the buck about 80 yards away, she did so I turned it slowly and she had me stop at around 6x.

At that point I told her she could take the shot when she was comfortable. I watched her slowly disengage the safety then move her hand in position with her finger off the trigger. She settled in nice and her finger then eased into place. She seemed completely focused so I quickly turned to get a look at the buck through the slits again. At the shot the buck dipped and took off. He disappeared into the woods and I thought at that point we had another dead deer. We gave it about five minutes as we collected our stuff. I knew we’d have trouble finding blood in the clover and it wasn’t good. It looked like one set of tracks in the leaves but I couldn’t find anything that indicated a hit. The Kid had texted after the shot, I replied back that we’d need his help. I sent my daughter back up to get my headlamp out of the pack while we waited on him. When he got to us we spread out hoping to pick up the trail. I finally found what looked like good blood about 75 yards from where the deer had been standing at the shot. Two big spots about six feet apart where it had sprayed out all over. Unfortunately we couldn’t pick up any other blood or a direction.

I called my wife to fill her in on what was up. She tried calling her Dad but got no answer. After another ten minutes I called him, he was just headed in from hunting with my wife’s brother and sister. The three of them offered to come help. I sent the kids down to the house with all the gear and the gun. It was now completely dark so I had the Kid come back up with his truck and extra flashlights while my daughter waited to bring my in-laws up with the buggy.

Eventually there were seven of us on the search, not exactly the best way to go about it but it ended up helping. My wife was the one to finally spot two drops of blood about 50 ft from the two big splatters. It was headed across the tractor path so we spread out again. After another 20 minutes or so my sister in law was the one to find the next drop. The deer was heading slightly uphill and now I had a line to go on. We kept marking the trail with surveyors ribbon and it stayed mostly straight other than curving around the occasional obstacle. I’d look back at the line to figure out where to keep heading. I did lose it for about 50 feet but picked it back up. The entire time it was just one or two drops on the left side of the track. No spray, no puddles or glops and it never got closer than 6 feet between drops, usually around 10 or so.

The trail finally went off our property and disappeared again on an old road that used to separate the two parcels. The neighbors are weekenders and I’m not sure they’re up. It was now after 9:00 pm, about three hours after the shot and 250-300 yards away. I decided to end it there. If the trail had been getting stronger it would have been different but I wasn’t trespassing based on what we had, don’t have contact info and wouldn’t have called at that time of night if I did.

I hated to give up but we were all pretty much in agreement that we weren’t likely to catch up with this one. It doesn’t appear that the Partition exited but I absolutely can’t imagine that it hit the left shoulder or not been a double lung pass through. You could tell by the reaction it wasn’t broke down and other than the two spots where he had obviously stopped there wasn’t much blood. The only thing I can figure is that she hit him a bit high in no mans land and the bullet didn’t fragment enough to shock the spine. Still doesn’t really explain no pass through. I asked my daughter where she’d been aiming and she replied the same as last year, she put the bottom cross hair right along his front leg and the horizontal line halfway up his body. Should have done it.

She’s pretty upset and I’m second guessing having her take the shot. Good chance he would have kept working closer but you know how that can go. I also thought the longer she waited the more nervous she’d get. The angle was good, he was easily in range and she had a good rest. Seemed like it was lined up. She says she’s burned her tag. I’m torn about that, proud she’s taking responsibility but afraid she’s giving up. She still has two doe tags, I’m going to try and at least talk her into using one during the regular season.

I’ll keep you posted.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                                  by CD2
                                  Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                  08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                                • TriggerTech installed
                                  by fitch270
                                  First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                  08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                                • Aquila ammo test
                                  by dewman
                                  Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                  Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                  08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                                • Show and Tell
                                  by Amflyer
                                  Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                  08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                                • College Orientation News
                                  by fitch270
                                  Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                  07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X