Season update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season update

Less than a week in and it’s been extremely active. Lots of close encounters and lots of buck activity but we haven’t drawn back yet. Strange thing is we haven’t really been busted yet. A couple times on the way in or out we’ve been spotted just enough to get stared down for a spell then had them move off with that “I’m not sure so I’m not sticking around to find out” gait.

Tonight was crazy. Going in I walked up on a 6pt that we’ve spotted every afternoon. He never saw me, I was watching through the binos just as it started absolutely pouring. He was watching something off on the right then just turned and bolted left like he was making a run for the car in the store parking lot. Never flagged.

Later on from the stand I caught movement out in front headed the Kid’s way. It was just about 5:45, the same 6pt stepped out behind the Kid right as he stood up after checking around. The buck slinked back into the woods but must have looped up around him where I couldn’t see. Meanwhile it’s been getting dark fast back in the woods where I’m sitting. We can now hunt until a half hour after sunset but with the clouds and leaves still on the trees it gets too dark at sunset. I’ve been getting down trying not to get caught flat footed. Tonight as I head down I catch sight of a deer at the same spot as the 6pt on my way in. I’m in the open woods but don’t get noticed. There’s still about 15 minutes of legal time so I get a couple big tress between us and pull up the binos again.

My heart sinks when I see the rack. It’s the big 8 the Kid is after, and he’s headed right at me through a small clover plot with an apple tree in the middle about 50 yards away. He starts working the branches over with without much hurry. I’m stuck without much option so I decide to be aggressive and pull out my grunt tube. Like they say in racing, it’s a checkers or wreckers move. I give just one short, soft grunt and his head jerks up so I know he heard me. He stands there for a couple minutes looking my way then just turns and slowly walks off. I couldn’t have hoped for better short of getting a shot. I give it a few more minutes to be sure he’s gone then I cut back and head down to the Y in the road where the Kid and I have been splitting up on the way in and meeting on the way back down. He’s not there and it’s now getting pitch black. No call or text and he’s not back at the house so I know he’s stuck in the tree. I’m moving our car out of the garage to get the SxS out when the text pops up. “Buggy please”.

Turn out he had three bucks in the field around him and he couldn’t get down. The same 6pt was with the other two and they all came in 180* from where the 6 had tucked back into the woods earlier. The Kid’s been stuck four nights now, this time the worst. We’d talked that if it happened that one of us got to the house without hearing from the other to just get the buggy and ride up easy to move the deer off without giving up the stand.

So far we’ve been lucky, I’m sure the deer know we’re around but they’ve acted like they do in the summer when we bump into them. I’ve talked with the Kid, we’re giving the hill a rest until Youth Rifle this weekend to give his sister a chance before we mess things up with too much pressure. I’m
    really hoping that 6 stays on pattern for her.

Now that right there's awesomeness!
    Hope TOK gets the opportunity to score.

If she gets the chance, will she take the 8 TIK is looking at?
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-05-2021, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I couldn't be more excited for this weekend to get here if I was taking one of my own daughters. I know all of us here are pulling for your daughter.YOU GO GIRL! (If they still say that?)🦌+👀+⚡️or🏹=🍔🤞🤞🤞🤞

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        Now that right there's awesomeness!
        Hope TOK gets the opportunity to score.

If she gets the chance, will she take the 8 TIK is looking at?
        Her goal is anything bigger than the spike she killed last year.

We’ve had a number of different bucks on camera lately but until tonight we haven’t laid eyes on any of the bigger ones. The 6 isn’t a trophy by any means but is bigger than the typical 1.5 year old. He may be older, it’s hard to tell. One of the bucks tonight was a 5 pt that’s legal but not big at all. The one side is strange, even with pics it’s hard to tell if he has an abnormally long brow tine or if in fact he has a split main beam with two full spikes. If he makes it until next year it will be interesting to see what he turns into. The Kid said he’d be tempted to take him this year just because he’s unique. He really wants that 8 though and knows she won’t pass on it given the opportunity.

My take is I don’t care who kills what on our hill as long as it’s legal. That goes for any invited guests as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Her goal is anything bigger than the spike she killed last year.

We’ve had a number of different bucks on camera lately but until tonight we haven’t laid eyes on any of the bigger ones. The 6 isn’t a trophy by any means but is bigger than the typical 1.5 year old. He may be older, it’s hard to tell. One of the bucks tonight was a 5 pt that’s legal but not big at all. The one side is strange, even with pics it’s hard to tell if he has an abnormally long brow tine or if in fact he has a split main beam with two full spikes. If he makes it until next year it will be interesting to see what he turns into. The Kid said he’d be tempted to take him this year just because he’s unique. He really wants that 8 though and knows she won’t pass on it given the opportunity.

My take is I don’t care who kills what on our hill as long as it’s legal. That goes for any invited guests as well.
          Yes sir. A deer doesn't "belong" to anybody until they put their tag on it.
          It's great that your kids can be independent, but also support each other as well.

Comment

Went opening morning, saw nothing, minimal sign.
            Went last eve, button right at sunset, 30 yards, slight quartering to.
            Didnt pull the Hoyt back.
            It was over 70 degree, the gnats chewing on me (and proly any deer).
            I'm staying out for 2 weeks, as crops still up and supposed to be warm.

Good luck to those out after em !

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
              Went opening morning, saw nothing, minimal sign.
              Went last eve, button right at sunset, 30 yards, slight quartering to.
              Didnt pull the Hoyt back.
              It was over 70 degree, the gnats chewing on me (and proly any deer).
              I'm staying out for 2 weeks, as crops still up and supposed to be warm.

Good luck to those out after em !
              The local WMA was loaded opening weekend. Daytime temps are still up in the low 90's. Bad ju-ju for archery hunters if they don't bring a skillet! LOL!

Comment

I dunno how many shots my shoulder has available right now. Might not have even been able to draw on the button.
                Was not small for a button......and if I shot him that's just one deer dead (a doe makes more deer and we aint overrun w em, so antlerless tags proly best used to buttons).

As in 1 button per hunter allowed. Our county I think is a 2 antlerless bonus tag, plus one could burn both archery tags on buttons, as well as late season MZ.............so one "could" take 5 buttons legally.

My idea, and my bud is of same mindset.............take one antlerless, preferably a button, and then hunt for a rack.
                8 pts or better.

So..........we have learned how to season tags for a proper soup. LOL

If a button comes in and he's around 90# dressed I'll arrow him.

Comment

I bought a 2nd cheap camera arm, so now need a Sony camcorder under 500. Preferably w external mic capability.
                  Chip shortage.............stores aint got diddly.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    I bought a 2nd cheap camera arm, so now need a Sony camcorder under 500. Preferably w external mic capability.
                    Chip shortage.............stores aint got diddly.
                    They are on ships anchored off Long Beach, CA! LOL!

Comment

Our opening is on the 15th. There's a couple of stands at the lease that should be good. My thinking is to drop the first doe that comes along and then switch to hunting the larger bucks.

Comment

But but but, what about all those camera stores in NY?

Comment

IMG_20211005_175057687_HDR.jpg

Comment

When the corn is down Ill need camo netting to hide the Jeep....deer coming from woods across road LOL.

Is low as pictured, and if not muddy can keep from being seen til deer halfway there.

If muddy have to park up on road and then am visible from other woods.

That kills movement from there to here, but may keep deer from going over to other woods too.

White is the wrong color for deer hunting vehicle.
                            Is OK for predator hunting in winter LOL

Comment

Looking for a grey 4x4, 2015 or so.
                              No luck.

Did find a 2001.Expedition w no rust and mint interior.
                              Thought maybe yank 3rd seat and fold 2nd down and camp in it. Weekend hunt vehicle.

Im tired of wrenching so that old.....eh.

Slim pickins on finding anything good right now.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Finally filled that elk tag!
                                by Ernie
                                Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
                                Yesterday, 01:05 PM
                              • Leupold screwed me
                                by dewman
                                had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
                              • The TGIF Buck
                                by fitch270
                                First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                              • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
                              • Life is good!
                                by dewman
                                .......... in fact, it's downright delicious! 🦌=🍔+🌮+🍺or🍷👍😉 ...
                                11-22-2021, 07:29 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X