Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son of a Fitch; Rocktober, BBD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Son of a Fitch; Rocktober, BBD

    233D1BC8-70FF-497E-8AC6-915D345E27E0.jpeg The kid’s rockin’ it yet again, first ever bow whitetail and it’s a doozy. First night out in his fifth season. First time out without me.

    Season opened last night but he’s been playing baseball and had practice so we skipped. Tonight he headed up after school before I got home from work, I decided to hang back at the house as I was supposed to be at a board meeting for the gun club at 7:30 and didn’t want to mess him up going in. A bit after 6:00 I get a text: Three deer in the meadow. Not three minutes later the phone rings: “Yeah?“ - “I just shot the nine point”- “Did you hit him good?”- “Yeah. I’m pretty sure”- “OK, stay there I’ll head up”

    My daughter and I get to him about 15 minutes later and he can barely speak, still in his stand. You can tell it’s running through his head over and over. He gets out enough to tell me about where the deer was, I head that way and tell him to get down. He takes his time while I start looking for blood. Once he’s down he comes over and plays it back best he can. He had three bucks and a doe plus one other he’s not sure about. First was a spike below him, then the doe. The doe wandered off into the woods while the spike feed. After a while the spike kept looking up past the kid, he figured there was another deer up there so he turned to get a better look and could see two. A four point came down first, followed by the bigger buck. As soon as he saw it he knew which one it was, we’d been getting trail cam pics of him the last couple months. It was the one he was afraid his sister would get during youth rifle. The nine was coming in perfect but he had the others below, plus another in the woods. At 20 yards the buck stops perfect in the shooting lane but the kid knew he couldn’t draw just yet. The buck was looking down towards the others, then suddenly turned his head and looked off into the woods giving the kid his chance. He comes to full draw and finds the shoulder with his pin just as the buck puts his head down to feed and opens up the near leg.

    At the shot his front legs buckle some as he keeps himself up for a few steps then takes off down the field edge before turning into the woods. In the field there’s no blood to be found but the kid’s acting confident. We get down to the area it turned in and see some leaves kicked up but aren’t sure which deer did it. Eventually the kid finds one drop, but it’s enough to start on. My daughter hangs back and we start leapfrogging until the blood hits the main trail the deer use. We call my daughter to come to us as we start picking up a bit better blood. We’re looking down with the flashlights as it’s now past twilight when my girl says “Dad isn’t that his belly right there?” I’m like “”Where?” She repeats herself and the kid and I both see what she’s looking at as I hit it with my light. She’s not holding a light and has enough night vision to pick up the white reflection in the darkness.

    All said and done it’s about as perfect shot as you can get with a bow. High going in right behind the shoulder but angled down. Unfortunately no exit so the blood we were getting at first was all from him exhaling fine drops. Where he fell was a mess after covering close to 150 yards total.

    On the scale in the garage he’s 190 lbs dressed, 9 pt, 18 1/4” inside spread, 8” G2’s and a 6” G3 on the five side. The other almost made the 5’th point but it didn’t quite develop. An absolute stud for around here.

    Mission Craze bow he’s had since he was 10, now at a 29” draw, not sure on the weight as we haven’t scaled it. Easton Bloodline 500 arrows and Muzzy 3 blade 100gr broadheads.
    Last edited by fitch270; 10-03-2020, 07:09 AM.

  • #2
    DA0A0CD0-E38F-473F-9FDD-6755D53F2988.jpeg44022838-F4CC-44A9-B3AE-6E3A376E2D57.jpeg Graphic, but tells the story.

    Comment


    • #3
      Man that is a hell of a buck! Look at his body! Congratulations fella. One to be proud of for sure. 🦌🌮👍. He'd looked good mounted on his mulies left turned slightly toward him wouldn't he. Man that can get a fella stoked to get out there. I'm shooting with the ladies today but have an entire week of beautiful weather. Fired up to go earlier and stay longer even if I'm not bow hunting myself. Son of Fitch has started us out the gate fellas, let's keep it rolling. Nice, nice, nice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the write up. I think your kid is hooked! Funny that I should see this frost thing..I was getting the freezer ready yesterday (bad omen, I know) and last night I kept dreaming about eating venison. It was all overdone. I think I need a psych eval.
        Great story and outcome, give SOAF my congrats.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hokey Smokes !

          ​​​​​​Great job !

          Comment


          • #6
            Kid's ruined for life, fitch270.
            The only mulie and this for a first archery buck?
            ......and you KNOWING that this year at least, no spent primer, no released arrow unless it's a buck bigger than his!!! LOL!!

            Between the "Kid" arrowing the brute and "Sis" actually spotting the BBD, what in tarnation do they need you for? 🤔😀!

            Tell the "Kid" congrats on a fine buck!!!
            .......and he can't kill another buck unless it's bigger than this one! 👀!

            Comment


            • #7
              593FFBD1-70CB-4D2F-A1BF-103C0A625038.jpeg He gutted it too, no help other than verbal and holding a leg and the light.


              We just came down from walking the track backwards. Really wasn’t much blood to go by, especially in the dark. It was a good lesson for him to not quit on a trail. We did find the nock half of the arrow which was our main goal. I actually managed to spot it so I guess I was good for something after all.

              Cool thing was the deer dropped just past a trail cam we had on the trail he ended up taking. As we neared the spot on the road the trail crosses we pushed up a pile of crows, a pair of adult eagles and a good sized juvenile. Pulled the card from the camera and had this shot.
              Last edited by fitch270; 10-03-2020, 04:52 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dewman View Post
                Man that is a hell of a buck! Look at his body! Congratulations fella. One to be proud of for sure. 🦌🌮👍. He'd looked good mounted on his mulies left turned slightly toward him wouldn't he. Man that can get a fella stoked to get out there. I'm shooting with the ladies today but have an entire week of beautiful weather. Fired up to go earlier and stay longer even if I'm not bow hunting myself. Son of Fitch has started us out the gate fellas, let's keep it rolling. Nice, nice, nice.

                So hey, guess what’s for dinner!



                Hint: Not tacos, yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Congrats to your son on that very nice buck! That is a well written post and it felt like I was with you tracking.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That's awesome Fitch! Please tell him congratulations for me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      78C5CA92-4C53-41B0-8F04-7D23DE4027AF.jpegA4D7C18B-B3FF-43B0-ADFB-3271A90ACA87.jpeg27A3C5FC-5533-47E2-B705-3780CF017C97.jpeg A correction, he’s using 400 arrows not 500.

                      We got the deer finished up and in the freezer last night, some of the boned out meat spent a day in the fridge until we could get to it. I’m not sure how many pounds total but it was more than usual. Steaks we’ve had so far were middle of the road tough wise but not strong tasting. Should make good ground meat.


                      Here are a couple pics of the recovered arrow. The shaft broke a few inches out of the body when it appeared the buck swiped a pair of close growing saplings. The kid was able to work the rest out before he got into the body cavity which is always nice, knowing everything is intact means less chance of a nasty surprise when you’re elbow deep in the lungs. I’ve always liked Muzzy's, they’re simple to put together and rugged. Maybe not always the best flying or biggest cut but they punch through nice. This one got hung up in the far side shoulder blade, the deer ran far enough to really chew up that side but other than some chips to the edge and some slight bending the broadhead is intact. I imagine he’ll keep this with the mount but it could easily be used again with replacement blades. Lots of quality new choices out there but until we run low we’ll keep using what we have, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        78C5CA92-4C53-41B0-8F04-7D23DE4027AF.jpegA4D7C18B-B3FF-43B0-ADFB-3271A90ACA87.jpeg27A3C5FC-5533-47E2-B705-3780CF017C97.jpeg A correction, he’s using 400 arrows not 500.

                        We got the deer finished up and in the freezer last night, some of the boned out meat spent a day in the fridge until we could get to it. I’m not sure how many pounds total but it was more than usual. Steaks we’ve had so far were middle of the road tough wise but not strong tasting. Should make good ground meat.


                        Here are a couple pics of the recovered arrow. The shaft broke a few inches out of the body when it appeared the buck swiped a pair of close growing saplings. The kid was able to work the rest out before he got into the body cavity which is always nice, knowing everything is intact means less chance of a nasty surprise when you’re elbow deep in the lungs. I’ve always liked Muzzy's, they’re simple to put together and rugged. Maybe not always the best flying or biggest cut but they punch through nice. This one got hung up in the far side shoulder blade, the deer ran far enough to really chew up that side but other than some chips to the edge and some slight bending the broadhead is intact. I imagine he’ll keep this with the mount but it could easily be used again with replacement blades. Lots of quality new choices out there but until we run low we’ll keep using what we have, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
                        Getting a bigger pile of meat than normal is hardly something to complain about, especially with teenagers in the house. 🙂

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

                          Getting a bigger pile of meat than normal is hardly something to complain about, especially with teenagers in the house. 🙂
                          No sir!
                          I went on a killing spree back in '06. By the time season was over, I had processed 6 deer. Freezer was bulging.
                          In January, my 15 year old nephew moved in.
                          We ran out of sausage, jerky, roast, steak. By late May, the last vestiges of ground venison disappeared!

                          I had forgotten just what an appetite a teenager has!
                          When he graduated in '09, he was 6'1' and 180 pounds. Eat like a refugee!!!

                          We had about a dozen good laying hens, they couldn't keep up with him.

                          Comment

                          Welcome!

                          Collapse

                          Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                          If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                          And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                          Right Rail 1 Ad

                          Collapse

                          Top Active Users

                          Collapse

                          There are no top active users.

                          Right Rail 2 Ad

                          Collapse

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          Right Rail 3 Ad

                          Collapse

                          Footer Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X