Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better Crossbows or Compounds

Which is better Crossbows or Compounds

Traition is stretched by the new compounds..but I love mine. The Crossbow is just to much like a tool that does not give me as much a excuse to pratice with a bow.

Comment

Well it depends on what you are considering better! From my own experience I would have to say a compound is a more effective weapon to take whitetail. It also does it in a more ethical way. With a compound you have more foot lbs of energy that transfers into a deer. My uncle and grandpa both switched over to crossbows and last year they wounded way to many deer. They were hitting deer in the shoulders and in the ribs, and not getting any penetration. Part of the reason was because they were taking to far of shots, and the little bolt had no energy left. So in my opinion crossbows are abused. Yes with a crossbow you can hit a target accurately at 50+ yards (which I have done with my uncles) but that doesn't mean it should be done in the field. So I believe if your looking for an ethical way to hunt, compounds/bows are way better. For accuracy and range I would say the crossbow. I'm not saying that you can't take deer cleanly with a crossbow, but I do believe people abuse the privilege that comes with a crossbow. I can put my arrow in the bullzeye at 45 yards with my compound, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and shoot a deer that far. In no way am I saying crossbows are wrong for people with disabilities, but if you can pull a bow back then that's the weapon you should be using!

Comment

depends on where you live, your strength and ability, i personally shoot a compound and think it is more of a challenge and here in the great state of illinois its against the law unless a senior citizen or disabled

Comment

Isn't this question kind of like asking who's got the prettiest wife or girlfriend? (hopefully that is just or and not and/or, cause if one of 'em finds out, there is usually hell to pay.) It seems to me to be a matter of preference and personal responsibility. I know at least one person who has wounded far more deer than he has killed with a bow. But he hasn't figured it put yet. I think if you are responsible, you should be able to select the means that most affords you an opportunity to hunt, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

I would like to see the deer hunting seasons to be geared toward the deer herd numbers and not the weapons. This topic is like opening a can of worms but it is a can that should be opened.

Comment

See post under simular qustion. Nuf said?

Comment

That is a preference thing every one is different. Some people are going to like compounds others will like the crossbow.

Comment

Compounds are better. These are traditional and make the hunter work more for his game. I also believe compounds are better because crossbows are too much like guns.

Comment

I don't think anyone can really use the word traditional when referring to compounds. Traditional bows have always been recurve or longbow.
                    Even the word better is subjective. If I say my S&W 629 is better than Joe Blow's Ruger Redhawk, who's to say it is or isn't. This is very subjective, strictly a matter of taste or personal preference.
                    The problem is when we think that our idea of better should be the standard by which all else is measured. Then the temptation is to condemn anything that we don't like and create a rift in the entire hunting community. By our condemnation of another's preferences, due either to our own SELFISH interest or lack of knowledge, we may be walking through a minefield that we will have to traverse again. The stones we throw at other hunters, in our zeal to get our own way, may be picked up and thrown back at us by the anti's. To cast aspersions at other hunters who are engaging in LEGAL activities is very short sighted and hurts us ALL.
                    It is one thing to carry on a spirited discussion on merits of either crossbow or vertical bows, but then there is the mean and ugly,those who are exclusivists. (If I don't like it it shouldn't be used.) What about compounds versus recurves and longbows.
                    These are all legitimate hunting tools, as are guns. Think of them as tools of the trade.
                    Remember, WE ARE, THEREFORE WE HUNT.

Comment

it is up to the shooter to decide what they like best

Comment

That depends on what you think is better/funner. Cross bows can have scopes and can shoot a little farther, but the real thrill for me is getting the animal close and come to full draw without it noticing.

Comment

just go with a compound...and this is coming from a crossbow hunter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                            by dewman
                            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                            by Ernie
                            Any handgun hunters here?
                            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X